Windows 10: Corrupted Win10 Profile, and Can't Decrypt Files

Discus and support Corrupted Win10 Profile, and Can't Decrypt Files in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hey folks: I've got two HDs; one which is for the OS, and one for files. (I run Macrium Reflect, but stupidly did not include the OS drive in that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by CSkut, Sep 11, 2019.

1. CSkut Win User

Corrupted Win10 Profile, and Can't Decrypt Files

Hey folks:

I've got two HDs; one which is for the OS, and one for files. (I run Macrium Reflect, but stupidly did not include the OS drive in that imaging.)

For some reason my Windows profile became corrupted. While I still have all of my files on the second hard drive, many of them are under ownership of the corrupted profile and I cannot access them or assign new ownership in order to use them. Attempting to "Make personal" in the context menu throws a "Error 0x80071771, The specified file could not be decrypted".

I followed some online help to access the hidden Admin profile and created a new profile to start rebuilding everything. I AM able to log in to the corrupted profile (and have not deleted it), but am trying not to do so out of caution for screwing up more stuff.

Since the corrupt profile still exists, is there a way to locate and use the key so I can decrypt my files?

I tried running SFC Scannow and DISM's Restorehealth commands, both of which are saying everything looks fine. SFC did initially say it found some corrupted files and then repaired them, but the old profile is still missing all of my desktop files, wallpaper- obvious clues that it's still royally messed up.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to decrypt files owned by a corrupted profile?

Thank you so much!!!

Best,

Chris

:)

CSkut, Sep 11, 2019

2. Corrupted file RAR

If the archive has been created using WinRAR, why don't you try WinRAR itself? It has a built-in repair feature for repairing corrupted archive (ZIP as well as RAR). Follow the steps given below:
    • Open WinRAR application in your system.
    • Now click on File tab > Open or simply press Ctrl+O.
    • A small window "Find Archive" will pop up. Locate the corrupt RAR archive from your system directory and select it.
    • Now click Open button.
    • Click Tools tab > Repair archive or simply press Alt+R.
    • Again a small window "Repairing File name.rar" will pop up.
    • Now click Browse to select a location to save the repaired archive.
    • Check the box "Treat the corrupt archive as RAR" and click OK.
    • WinRAR will start repairing of corrupt RAR archive. Once it gets completed click Close.
    I hope the above steps will help you repair the corrupted RAR archive.

Thanks.

Lincoln Dunne, Sep 11, 2019
  3. Jsssssssss, Sep 11, 2019
  4. Jonas Flo Win User

Corrupted User Profile

Hi,

There maybe a couple of reasons behind this misbehavior such as a corrupted system file. However, we would like to be able to verify which process exactly is corrupted.

• When you install, does it give you any form of error message when it fails?
    • What other processes doesn't go through on the said User account?

As per troubleshooting, you may refer to
    Likhitha V
    's response on this thread. See if it applies to you. However,
    just to give you a heads up. The steps are about creating a new user profile and deleting the current one. I suggest you back up your files so you may be able to transfer it. You can also find information about it on the same thread.

We'll be waiting for your response. If you have any other concerns, don't hesitate to come back to us.

Jonas Flo, Sep 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Corrupted Win10 Profile, and Can't Decrypt Files - Similar Threads - Corrupted Win10 Profile

2. File system decryption - cannot decrypt file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File system decryption - cannot decrypt file: I have Windows 10 reinstalled with disk format.I have exported certificate to .PFX file from old system and imported into new system.In new system user has same name as in old system.I cannot decrypt files from old system.When I runcipher /c mypath\ds.txt I can see '...
  3. Error logging in - Profile file was corrupted

in Windows 10 Customization
    Error logging in - Profile file was corrupted: I reset my computer via settings and it automatically deleted all the files for me, after 30 minutes of waiting it didn’t lead me to re-install the whole system but instead my profile without a profile picture. When i insert my fingerprint or enter my pin it says “The User...
  4. Error logging in - Profile file was corrupted

Error logging in - Profile file was corrupted: I reset my computer via settings and it automatically deleted all the files for me, after 30 minutes of waiting it didn’t lead me to re-install the whole system but instead my profile without a profile picture. When i insert my fingerprint or enter my pin it says “The User...
  5. Error logging in - Profile file was corrupted

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Error logging in - Profile file was corrupted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Corrupt profile

Corrupt profile: so i was holding the power button on my laptop to force my computer to shot down while window is signing in and the next time i turned my computer on, it say the window cant sign in my profile and i have to use a alternative profile which will lost everything i did after i...
  8. Can't decrypt files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't decrypt files: I have a folder and files in :C and my :G drives that are encrypted with the general tab and as of yesterday I can no longer view my files as it says an error occurred applying attributes to the file the specified file could not be decrypted I never had a problem with this...
  9. "Corrupted" profile?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Corrupted" profile?: I have a piece of hardware that works fine when plugged into one my profile users, but when it connects to the other user it doesnt work the same way!. I dont know what to do. I could use the other profile but I have some data there wich I like to keep handy, is there a way...
  10. Corrupted Profile

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Corrupted Profile: This morning, I tried signing into my computer to find out my profile had been corrupted, is there anyway I can get my files from that profile back? submitted by /u/Motorsport_Fanatic_7 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gv7as9/corrupted_profile/