Windows 10: Cortana and a bit on wider stealth installs/bundles etc and lack of transparencyand...

Discus and support Cortana and a bit on wider stealth installs/bundles etc and lack of transparencyand... in Cortana to solve the problem; So, Cortana has been packaged now as an ''app'' YET, is still operating rather stealthily in that it is not listed in apps and the unistall section? So... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by wotif ock, Dec 8, 2020.

1. wotif ock Win User

Cortana and a bit on wider stealth installs/bundles etc and lack of transparencyand...

So, Cortana has been packaged now as an ''app'' YET, is still operating rather stealthily in that it is not listed in apps and the unistall section?
    So we must run as admin Powershell then enter ''Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.549981C3F5F10 Remove-AppxPackage''?

So, less tech-savy users will be as good as frightened into keeping it?
    Why are some companies insistent on forcing such apps upon us?
    I had been disabling it for years, it ALWAYS found a way back till i tried the above P'shell cmd above, and will be intetested to see if it STAYS off my system. I personally utterly dislike 'smart', 'predictive', and 'AI' devices, and the like and find them all irritating and limiting.
    EVERY app or device should be completely transparent at every level for every style of user, from non-savy to pro. No tricks, no gimicks.
    Otheriwse we end up with mistrust and frustration, and lot'd of online moaning filling up comments, feedback and so on. And the lack of transparency, and the application, of in a sense, stealth operations and installs Cortanas file inner working and package isn't even called Cortana which creates even more mistrust, as what is the difference between that and certain forms of stealth bundle installs and certain malware if it is unwanted and thrust upon you?

So before i found ''Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.549981C3F5F10 Remove-AppxPackage'' and how to run it, i simply always disabled it as best as i could, and anyway, i don't at all like or use the win 10 style start menu. It's too full of gimmicky sales nonsense and stuff i am not interested in all these lenses and app store things and what not and installed an old school XO-a-like start menu.
    Having a son who codes for Ubuntu, i am aware of how PC users can, or should be able to customize their whole set-up from the ground up to do and be what they themselves need, and not be an inroad for lots of ''stuff''.
    To me it seems to be really taking advantage of those who know little about their machines, and also seems to enjoy keeping them that way. It's not on so far as i am concerned. And especially after socially responsible movements like SocialDilema!

\and i am sure i am not the only one?

:)

wotif ock, Dec 8, 2020
  2. Depth Win User

Install Diablo 3 on Linux

Just install PlayOnLinux? Why did they make step 2 and 3 of this "tutorial"?

Anyway, looking at the supported software list for PlayOnLinux, D3 is a step in the right direction. Lack of gaming is a factor for a lot of people when deciding on an OS, if more recent games get ported it may help migrate them to their preferred choice.

Depth, Dec 8, 2020
  3. Dewdrop_ Win User
    Cortana Notebook

In order to enable the Notebook icon in Cortana, I suggest you to check if you have enabled Cortana.

To enable Cortana, please follow the steps below:

• Go to Cortana.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Turn on “Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts”.

Hope this helps.

Dewdrop_, Dec 8, 2020
  4. Cortana and a bit on wider stealth installs/bundles etc and lack of transparencyand...

wider screen

My laptop screen it seems wider, I tried all the setting steps but I can't get it right? Any idea how to correct it ?

salehbenkhayal1, Dec 8, 2020
Thema:

Cortana and a bit on wider stealth installs/bundles etc and lack of transparencyand...

1. Cortana and a bit on wider stealth installs/bundles etc and lack of transparencyand... - Similar Threads - Cortana bit wider

2. How to install a single game in bundle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install a single game in bundle: Hi Community,I have purchased Forza Horizon 5 and Forza Horizon 4 Premium Editions Bundle in Microsoft Store a few moments ago, but I found I can only download two games together in my library.So how can I install FH5 and its dlcs, etc without FH4?Plz advice, thx....
  3. How to install a single game in bundle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to install a single game in bundle: Hi Community,I have purchased Forza Horizon 5 and Forza Horizon 4 Premium Editions Bundle in Microsoft Store a few moments ago, but I found I can only download two games together in my library.So how can I install FH5 and its dlcs, etc without FH4?Plz advice, thx....
  4. Bit locker reset etc.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bit locker reset etc.: An unknown cause triggered my BitLocker. I don't have the recovery key, it was unfortunate it never backed up to Microsoft, and I have no clue how to find out the BitLocker. I'm trying to factory reset it but it fails to work. It says unable to complete this action at this...
  5. Bit locker reset etc.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bit locker reset etc.: An unknown cause triggered my BitLocker. I don't have the recovery key, it was unfortunate it never backed up to Microsoft, and I have no clue how to find out the BitLocker. I'm trying to factory reset it but it fails to work. It says unable to complete this action at this...
  6. Minecraft bundle

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Minecraft bundle: Greetings , I have recently purchased Minecraft bedrock edition . As of now , I should have been able to redeem Minecraft java edition , but I am unable to . When i run the launcher , the pop up message says that I should redeem Minecraft java edition for free as I own...
  7. Stealthing Malware? Previous Version Installing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Stealthing Malware? Previous Version Installing: I installed Raider.IO 2.1.7 then it reverts back to 2.1.5 after reboot and wants me to install 2.1.7.Is there some call in Windows that stealths files?Not sure what's going on here....
  8. wider screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    wider screen: My laptop screen it seems wider, I tried all the setting steps but I can't get it right? Any idea how to correct it ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/wider-screen/9a9db205-0fd4-4642-b051-2c0e323f571c
  9. wider screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    wider screen: My laptop screen it seems wider, I tried all the setting steps but I can't get it right? Any idea how to correct it ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/wider-screen/2d286f50-48de-4e8c-99d0-a31ec394c82e
  10. Wider display on Windows 10 after installation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Wider display on Windows 10 after installation: My screen is projecting wider than normal display for Windows 10. Moved from: Windows /Windows 10 /PC Projection https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/wider-display-on-windows-10-after-installation/a4ad490b-abe3-4035-8b8b-159b0bf56a1e