Windows 10: Cortana and Connected Home Insteon: It looks like your device is unauthorized

Discus and support Cortana and Connected Home Insteon: It looks like your device is unauthorized in Cortana to solve the problem; I've been using Cortana on Windows 10 devices, Android phones, and Invoke Speakers to control my Insteon smart home switches for years and it's always... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by DiesIrae512, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Cortana and Connected Home Insteon: It looks like your device is unauthorized

I've been using Cortana on Windows 10 devices, Android phones, and Invoke Speakers to control my Insteon smart home switches for years and it's always worked great. However, for the last couple of weeks when asking Cortana to do a smart home command I'll get a "it looks like your device is unauthorized" reply. When I go to the connected home settings I'll see that Insteon says "needs attention". When I select it I'm presented with the option to sign into my Insteon account my credentials are already there so I just hit sign-in. Once I do this Cortana, on all devices, can control my Insteon switches again for about a day. Then she encounters the same issue and I have to repeat this process.

I don't think this an Insteon issue as my Alexas don't have this problem. Is there anything I can do to get this to be a permanent solution or is this just the "Cortana is changing into something different" functionality and won't be doing this anymore in the future?

:)

DiesIrae512, Feb 11, 2020

2. Cortana Connected Home - Insteon skill - hubs, devices, features, and commands.

Hi Derek, I'm the PM for Cortana Connected Home. Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention. We're not able to repro the same issue (where Cortana can't find any of your Insteon devices and so replies with the "how to get set up" error) and want to
    investigate why it isn't working for you. Can you try issuing a voice command on your Invoke to control your Insteon lights/devices, and submit feedback using the history feed so we can look up logs?

Detailed steps:

• Make sure Insteon is connected to Cortana in the Connected Home section of the Notebook
    • Issue a voice command to the Invoke controlling those devices
    • Go to any Cortana app, go to the menu --> devices --> click on your Invoke. You should see the history of your voice commands.
    • Click the expando arrow and click "Not what I was hoping for" --> "Answer was incorrect" and fill in the form with "DerekRomano: Can't control Insteon devices" so we can find the feedback.

Also, a few more questions: do you have any other smart home devices/hubs you've tried connecting to Cortana and commanding? If not, no worries, just trying to see if it's Insteon-specific or not.

Let me know once you've submitted the feedback or if you have any more questions.

Stacey Hanson [MSFT], Feb 11, 2020
  3. Cortana Connected Home - Insteon skill - hubs, devices, features, and commands.

Hi Joe, I'm the PM for Cortana Connected Home. Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention. Not sure if you saw my reply to Derek, but we're not able to repro the Insteon issue (where Cortana can't find any of your Insteon devices and so replies with
    the "how to get set up" error) and want to investigate why it isn't working for you and Derek. Can you try issuing a voice command on your Invoke to control your Insteon lights/devices, and submit Cortana feedback using the history feed so we can look up logs?

Detailed steps:

• Make sure Insteon is connected to Cortana in the Connected Home section of the Notebook
    • Issue a voice command to the Invoke controlling those devices ("turn on the lights")
    • Go to any Cortana app, go to the menu --> devices --> click on your Invoke. You should see the history of your voice commands.
    • Click the expando arrow and click "Not what I was hoping for" --> "Answer was incorrect" and fill in the form with "DerekRomano: Can't control Insteon devices" so we can find the feedback.

Let me know once you've submitted the feedback or if you have any more questions.

Stacey Hanson [MSFT], Feb 11, 2020
  4. Cortana and Connected Home Insteon: It looks like your device is unauthorized

Cortana Connected Home - Insteon skill - hubs, devices, features, and commands.

Stacey, thanks for reaching out to help with this...seems like im in the clear now, not sure if you guys did anything on your end or if it was devices with # in the name that got renamed (maybe a bug?)

A BIG thank you to you and your team for bringing IFTTT Support public today for Cortana! This helps with my comment quote below but still wanted to bring it to your attention as PM...now with IFTTT i can trigger a insteon scene using Cortana > ifttt >
    stringify ...but that is quite a bit of hops that could happen faster with native Insteon Scene activation via Cortana ;-)

Previous Post Quote with suggestions:

No but i do have a fair amount.... 24 recessed led bulbs each their own device, i have just under 50 total devices (including sesnors and outlets).

I also have a fair amount of scenes, something Cortana does not support yet but INSTEONS API is there, I wish you guys could add that for insteon users its very helpful (One command to trigger a scene on, that controls multiple devices instantly and is super
    flexible). This can be done via Cortana with a third party software The Home Remote, but you need an app to bridge the capability which does not work for Invoke or iOS / Andriod Cortana.

One last wish to bring to the table for Cortana Connected Home team is allowing us users to see a list of discovered devices somehow and maybe group them like Alexa does.

Thanks to your team for bringing these capabilities to our Devices, Keep up the good work!

Edit: Also if it helps i have 2 other third party apps using the same insteon api sucessfully (listing, getting status and controlling devices)

One is called HomeBoy and the other is The Home Remote, both where setup after i started having this issue with cortana to confirm my hub was accessible from the public api after signing in with my insteon account.

DerekRomano, Feb 11, 2020
Thema:

Cortana and Connected Home Insteon: It looks like your device is unauthorized

1. Cortana and Connected Home Insteon: It looks like your device is unauthorized - Similar Threads - Cortana Connected Home

2. unauthorized devices

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    unauthorized devices: I found a device that is not mine listed under my devices. Will not let me lock it and the last known place shown is somewhere in India. How do I delete this device if I don't have control over that device. When I try to lock it, it said network problems try again. Help...
  3. What does your Default Apps looks like? Mine looks like this.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What does your Default Apps looks like? Mine looks like this.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/jolenebecomesreal [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mo18k9/what_does_your_default_apps_looks_like_mine_looks/
  4. It doesn't look like you're connected to the internet. Check your connection and try again.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    It doesn't look like you're connected to the internet. Check your connection and try again.: I am trying to sign in to my Microsoft account on the app store and through apps and I see this message. I am connected to the internet and able to search the web. Can anyone assist with troubleshooting? Thanks! Moved from: Office My account, billing and sign-in...
  5. How to connect smart devices (like: smart lights) to cortana?

in Cortana
    How to connect smart devices (like: smart lights) to cortana?: Hi! I can't connect to my smart lights becouse in the connections tab (Start menu<Cortana's notebook<Manage skills, Image down below),I can't see the Connect to home option. Mark [ATTACH]...
  6. Cortana no longer sees INSTEON devices

in Cortana
    Cortana no longer sees INSTEON devices: I have my INSTEON account connected to Cortana. It has worked great for a long time. Lately, Cortana can no longer control devices. she responds that "You don't have any devices I can control" I am able to control the INSTEON devices with Alexa. I have disconnected and...
  7. How To Neuter Cortana So It Looks Like This

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Neuter Cortana So It Looks Like This: I have just about everything about Cortana disabled but I cannot get it to look like or behave like on my other computer. I cannot recall what changes I made but I am pretty sure it was not a registry hack. Any suggestions welcome. TIA. I want Cortana to look like this:...
  8. Connected Home unavailable - Cortana

in Cortana
    Connected Home unavailable - Cortana: I do not see in Cortana notebook menu connetted home. I call from Italy and I use Windows 10 in Italian. For this, I cannot control may Hue lights. Can You help me? ***Title modified from: cortana domotica***...
  9. Unauthorized account and connected device

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unauthorized account and connected device: I just discovered while troubleshooting computer problems today that a Microsoft account was created for *** Email address is removed for privacy *** and one (or all) of my devices are connected to this account. I changed the password for the account, logged in, set up two...
  10. Cortana integration with Windows 'Threshold' looking more likely

in Windows 10 News
    Cortana integration with Windows 'Threshold' looking more likely: Rumors have been circulating for a while that Microsoft is planning to incorporate its personal digital assistant, Cortana, into the next major version of Windows. On August 11, those rumors turned up a notch, with Neowin.net reporting that internal "dogfood" builds of...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hue cortana looks like your device is unauthorized