Windows 10: Cortana and desktop wallpapers stopped working

Discus and support Cortana and desktop wallpapers stopped working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The Cortana button shows up on the task bar, but when I click on it to access the "Run" feature (Which should have stayed in the Start Menu), nothing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Tuddley3, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Tuddley3 Win User

Cortana and desktop wallpapers stopped working

The Cortana button shows up on the task bar, but when I click on it to access the "Run" feature (Which should have stayed in the Start Menu), nothing happens. The window doesn't open anymore. This just started happening a few weeks ago.

Also, I cannot add new desktop wallpapers. I'm stuck with the current one, and if I try to add a new one, my desktop turns black.

I apparently deleted my Windows 7 recovery files so I can't revert back, so it looks like I'm stuck with Windows 10.

:)

Tuddley3, Jan 26, 2016

2. Slideshow stop working on window 10

I chose default window 10 desktop backgrounds for slideshow ,but today it stops on a single wallpaper instead of changing to all wallpapers while the setting is on slideshow. After that, I chose a single wallpaper but it automatically chose a solid color
    and did not set that wallpaper. How can I fix it?

Adnan Zaka, Jan 26, 2016
  3. BayouMac Win User
    Windows 10 Update - Another Failure

Windows 10 just updated on my laptop and what a disaster. All of my customizations are gone (taskbar pins, login screen wallpaper, desktop wallpaper, desktop icons, system tray item, etc.). And to make matters worse, the Start Menu doesn't work at all.
    I can right-click on it, but that's it.

The update is possibly the Creator's Edition. It's version 1703, build 15063.332

There are 4 Windows apps on the default taskbar; Cortana, Edge, Store, and Mail. Only Cortana seems to work. Edge will start up and then immediately quit. Store and Mail apps don't work at all.

There's a "Give us feedback" link on several of the Settings pages. Doesn't work. Message pops up I need a new App.

This is what I've experienced so far.

BayouMac, Jan 26, 2016
  4. Cortana and desktop wallpapers stopped working

Did you do a clean install after upgrading to Windows 10?

DeaconFrost, Jan 27, 2016
  5. Tuddley3 Win User
    Yes I did. I was trying to go back to Windows 7, but I somehow deleted the backup files for reinstalling Win7, so it installed Win10 instead. Everything worked fine and I was actually happy with Win10 after the reinstall, which fixed a ton of problems. This particular problem with the desktop background started a week or 2 ago, and I reinstalled Win10 around Christmas time.

Tuddley3, Jan 28, 2016
  6. tarahdez Win User
    Mine just stopped today.. the start menu, start button, edge, cortana, app store, I cant even pull up the calendar if i hover over it.If some has a solution other that a total factory restore .. i dont want to lose my programs i have.

tarahdez, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Cortana and desktop wallpapers stopped working

1. Cortana and desktop wallpapers stopped working - Similar Threads - Cortana desktop wallpapers

2. wallpapers desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wallpapers desktop: How can I get information on the excellent, daily changing wallpapers https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wallpapers-desktop/adc90286-fd3e-4463-b152-1f532eb8801f
  3. Desktop Wallpaper Not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Wallpaper Not working: I'm trying to get this image as my desktop wallpaper for a few hours now. I had it as my wallpaper for about a two days then suddenly today it's not working properly. Every time I select the image the the background turns to a solid colour. Is there anyway I could fix this?...
  4. Working Map as a Desktop Wallpaper?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Working Map as a Desktop Wallpaper?: I just got a sugar rush and I got a random-ish idea. The only use I have for my desktop is for a wallpaper, otherwise, for shortcuts, I use the startup in fullscreen, way more efficient. Anyway, what If I had, say, Google Maps (Or something that looks cooler) as a desktop...
  5. Group Policy Desktop Wallpaper has stopped working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Group Policy Desktop Wallpaper has stopped working: The Local Group Policy option entitled "Desktop Wallpaper", used to change the wallpaper of all users on a local machine has spontaneously stopped working after an update. Every new users that logs on has the default Windows wallpaper. I strive for uniformity at my company...
  6. cortana stopped working

in Cortana
    cortana stopped working: has just stopped, any fixes? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-stopped-working/efb116d4-b28c-446e-8753-d2590db5a334"
  7. Desktop Wallpaper

Desktop Wallpaper: Hello, I am trying to make a picture that has a resolution of 1920x1080 my desktop wallpaper, my monitors resolution is also 1920x1080 but it is extremely blurry when I set it as my background. The only way I can get it to not be blurry is if I set it to tile or center, but...
  8. Changing desktop wallpapers stopped working properly (tried 5 methods)

Changing desktop wallpapers stopped working properly (tried 5 methods): I've been using a free wallpaper changer for months and it's been working just fine, but only a few days ago an error came up (I didn't keep it unfortunately as I didn't think it would affect Windows changing wallpapers itself!) and now changing wallpapers almost doesn't work...
  9. Cortana just stops working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana just stops working: I can't believe I am the only person with this problem. Cortana works , more or less, for a day or so and then just suddenly I click on "ask me anything" and nothing happens. Cortana is just plain non-responsive. If I re-boot my machine it starts working again until the next...
  10. Cortana stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana stopped working: When I start using Cortana it will not connect to the Internet. I say, for example, "Hey Cortana" then I say "Facebook Log in" it copies what I say but then comes back with, "The Internet and I are not talking right now." or "I can't connect right now, try again in a little...