Windows 10: Cortana and Edge hanging for a long time

Discus and support Cortana and Edge hanging for a long time in Cortana to solve the problem; I accidently cut the power to my desktop, and it said that the Bios was corrupted, but recovered using the secondary Bios. At first I couldnt even get... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Bcannon2000, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Cortana and Edge hanging for a long time

I accidently cut the power to my desktop, and it said that the Bios was corrupted, but recovered using the secondary Bios. At first I couldnt even get into Windows, so I wiped my C drive and reinstalled windows. Once I got into Windows, everything wokred great, except Cortana and Edge. Cortana would let you search for thing, but if you clicked off and clicked back on Cortana would hang for a couple miniutes before coming back. A similar issue is going on with Edge, If i open a new tab or try to download anything, it would hang for a couple minutes before it would finally load. I've been trying for the 3 days to get it to work, and I've gotten no luck. One thing I did find is that EVERYTHING works in safe mode, I don't have any 3rd party software installed. I've tried resetting Edge, restarting cortana and edge multiple times, restarting the computer.

Thanks in Advance.

:)

Bcannon2000, Jan 4, 2019

2. No Cortana Icon on Microsoft Edge

Hi Praveen,

It is possible that the Show search and site suggestions as I type option in Microsoft Edge isn't enabled which explains why the Cortana icon is not visible. To check, follow these steps:

• Open Microsoft Edge.
    • Click the Menu button (...).
    • Click Settings.
    • Scroll down and click View advanced settings.

• Turn on the toggle switch for the Have Cortana assist me in Microsoft Edge
      option.

• Turn on the toggle switch for the Show search and site suggestions as I type option.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Aileen Alf, Jan 4, 2019
  3. Ian Sal Win User
    Cortana Takes long time

If mic is all okay, you might as well try these troubleshooting steps:

• Go to Settings > Time & language > Language
    • Select the + Add Languages function to add English (United Kingdom). Hit the check mark at the bottom and yes to the download prompt.
    • From the main Languages page long press on English (United States) and choose
      Remove. Now, select the Restart phone button and let the phone reboot
    • For these steps, we are reversing what we did above. Use the + Add Languages function to add
      English (United States). Hit the check mark at the bottom and yes to the download prompt.
    • From the main Languages page long press on English (United Kingdom) and choose
      Remove. Now, select the Restart phone button and let the phone reboot
    • After the phone has restarted with the correct English (United States) language you can go back to
      Settings > Extras > Hey Cortana and begin to train Cortana again to use your voice when the display is off.

Best Regards.

Ian Sal, Jan 4, 2019
  4. Ian Sal Win User

Cortana and Edge hanging for a long time

Cortana hangs with Australian language HI T

We would suggest performing these steps:

• Go to Settings > Time & language >
      Language
    • Select + Add Languages to add English (United States).
    • On the main Languages page, long press on English (Australia) and choose Remove. Afterwards, proceed restarting the phone by selecting the
      Restart phone button.
    On the next following steps, reverse back the process we did on the first 3 steps:

• Select + Add Languages to add English (Australia) and proceed with the download prompt.
    • Again on the main Languages page, long press on English (United States) and choose
      Remove, and restart phone.
    • Once the phone has restarted with the correct English (Australia)
      language, go back to Settings > Extras > Hey Cortana, and begin training
      Cortana again.

Let us know how it works.

Regards.

Ian Sal, Jan 4, 2019
Thema:

Cortana and Edge hanging for a long time

1. Cortana and Edge hanging for a long time - Similar Threads - Cortana Edge hanging

2. Windows 10 hangs after long time idling - cpu issue?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 hangs after long time idling - cpu issue?: Hi my pc: 108500K stock 4800mhz 2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3200mhz XMP Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming OC Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming 1 TB SSD I have updated Windows 10 to H20,the newest version. I installed windows 10 month ago with new pc. So far so good,games...
  3. Windows boot time is very long and explorer hangs on boot.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows boot time is very long and explorer hangs on boot.: I had just clean installed windows because I was having connectivity issues I had no issues with this pc for a while. They were resolved with a clean install but that’s not the issue at hand. Windows started taking about 3 minutes to boot and load the desktop screen. Not only...
  4. Windows 10 hang after long time idle 23 march

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 hang after long time idle 23 march: Hi Pc:108500K stock 4800mhz 2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000mhz XMP Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming OC Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming 1 TB SSD Drivers 461.72 I have updated Windows 10 to H20,the newest version. I installed windows 1 month ago with new pc. So far so...
  5. Windows 10 hangs after long time idling.

Windows 10 hangs after long time idling.: Hi my pc: 108500K stock 4800mhz 2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000mhz XMP Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming OC Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming 1 TB SSD I have updated Windows 10 to H20,the newest version. I installed windows 10 month ago with new pc. So far so good,games...
  6. Windows 10 hangs after long time idling.

Windows 10 hangs after long time idling.: Hi my pc: 108500K stock 4800mhz 2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000mhz XMP Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming OC Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming 1 TB SSD I have updated Windows 10 to H20,the newest version. I installed windows 10 month ago with new pc. So far so...
  7. Cortana Hangs While Listening

in Cortana
    Cortana Hangs While Listening: [ATTACH] Cortana simply hangs when in this screen (when it is supposed to listen to me). This screen can be opened by clicking the Cortana icon on the taskbar or by saying 'Hey Cortana'. Cortana is not able to listen to anything I say. This screen simply closes after being...
  8. Edge and Cortana

in Browsers and Email
    Edge and Cortana: I was under the impression that Cortana should be available in Edge by showing the Cortana "Circle" to the right of the address bar. I don't see it. I have Cortona enabled but no Cortona or Cortona suggestions. A bit more info I found. Can anyone confirm this with their...
  9. RDP Hangs on "Just a moment" for a long time

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    RDP Hangs on "Just a moment" for a long time: Hi there, I am using win 10 Pro - 64 bit, Ver 10586.36 i am using RDP daily to connect to other machines here in my organization (Local LAN). lately i have a strange problem. when trying to connect to other PC - RDP hangs for a long time on this window: [img]...
  10. Windows hangs for a long time randomly forcing hard reset

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows hangs for a long time randomly forcing hard reset: Hello. Just recently I've been receiving long hangs after a random amount of time on my laptop that is an inspiron 3537 and these usually take a long time to resolve and i usually just end up hard resetting. I've located the source of the problem and it is my hard drive and I...