Windows 10: Cortana Background Task Host - What is it? Why does it use so much RAM

Discus and support Cortana Background Task Host - What is it? Why does it use so much RAM in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; When I initially start up my computer, Cortana Background Task Host is hogging a lot of RAM and it last for a few minutes, but eventually goes away.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by gizmo, Aug 1, 2015.

1. gizmo Win User

Cortana Background Task Host - What is it? Why does it use so much RAM

When I initially start up my computer, Cortana Background Task Host is hogging a lot of RAM and it last for a few minutes, but eventually goes away.

I've tried looking for info on what this is/does specifically but am coming up empty.

Anyone have more information?

Cortana Background Task Host - What is it? Why does it use so much RAM [​IMG]

:)

gizmo, Aug 1, 2015

2. Cortana Background Task Host

Alright so I am back to report my Dell XPS 12 has been replaced by the Asus UX501. It has an i7 6700 and 24GB of RAM as well as a 512gb nvme SSD that runs at 2.5GB second. What I can say is no matter how powerful your PC, this is a memory leak that will
    saturate your PC. I have the latest W10 ann version with latest updates, latest drivers, and this laptop is only a week old and already i started to see it go up and up and up until 23.5GB of ram are full. NOTHING I do or will ever do will take up that much.
    And its the same Cortana background task host

The worst part is, in the first 3 days of having the laptop I had as usual disabled cortana and pretty much all other privacy/tracking function. Then I though to myself, maybe since my last problem, Cortana has become a little bit more like Google Now. So
    I started enabling all functions to allow cortana to be an assitant and then all she did was go back to her old habits.

So i'm done. No more cortana. Ever. Anyways Google Now is rumored to be in the works for Windows, and that my friend is how AI should be.

PatrickPolish, Aug 1, 2015
  3. Cortana Background Task Host

Yes, me too. I have a similar problem since getting build 1511.

It doesn't use much RAM, but slows down my hard disk.

Cortana Background Task Host - What is it? Why does it use so much RAM [​IMG]

There's some serious problem in there.

If anyone has any fixes, please let me know.

Thanks.

Manas Sambhus, Aug 1, 2015
Thema:

Cortana Background Task Host - What is it? Why does it use so much RAM

1. Cortana Background Task Host - What is it? Why does it use so much RAM - Similar Threads - Cortana Background Task

2. Why is windows taking up so much ram?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why is windows taking up so much ram?: [ATTACH] windows taking up way to much ram, like half of it https://preview.redd.it/a8z9aiop4fg41.png?width=432&format=png&auto=webp&s=549b1487bd359008a6ce44ac9310535c7c8ff334 submitted by /u/Monv44 [link] [comments]...
  3. Memory in use- 12gb, why am I losing so much ram to nothing?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Memory in use- 12gb, why am I losing so much ram to nothing?: I have 64GB of ram, but windows seems to insist on eating up a percentage of it regardless of how much I have. I remember having 32gb and it being way lower, so it almost seems like a percentage is taken no matter what. And yes you might be yelling- Why do you need so much...
  4. Why does Windows use so much more ram than my user account uses

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why does Windows use so much more ram than my user account uses: [img] [img] Why does windows use so much more ram than what it says my account it using? I'm fine with it being used but I just wanted to know what it is being use by. 140641
  5. Why does Windows use so much more ram than my user account uses

in Windows 10 Support
    Why does Windows use so much more ram than my user account uses: [img] [img] Although i have heard that the default task manager can be unreliable, why does windows use so much more ram than what it says my account it using? I'm fine with it being used but I just wanted to know what it is being use by? 140641
  6. Task host is stopping background tasks

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Task host is stopping background tasks: What can be done to correct receiving task host is stopping background tasks? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/task-host-is-stopping-background-tasks/a7f82c8e-4c1f-405e-b0a0-962966238837
  7. why does windows defender miss so much

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    why does windows defender miss so much: Im currently running win10 and got infested with updane 230 files and locations. and windows defender did not find 1 .. I ran it as a start up , full scan and nothing. I dont think Microsoft should not be pushing this as this is all you need.. I installed Malwarebytes and...
  8. Why does google chrome use so much RAM compared to firefox? Discuss.

in Browsers and Email
    Why does google chrome use so much RAM compared to firefox? Discuss.: Why does google chrome use so much RAM compared to firefox? Discuss. 94780
  9. Cortana background task host resource hogging

Cortana background task host resource hogging: Hey all i have been having a problem with the cortana background task host. It seems to take up a lot of the CPU and disk after i have used either itunes or windows media player. I have no idea how long this has been going since i only noticed as i have other issues with...
  10. What is Background Task Host?

What is Background Task Host?: Cortana is Windows 10 user's personal assistant. To interact with Cortana, one must communicate via audio or the visual graphical User Interface. Application Name praid:CortanaUI

Users found this page by searching for:

1. diskfootprint\storagesense memory leak taskhostw