Windows 10: Cortana Beta not following commands?

Discus and support Cortana Beta not following commands? in Cortana to solve the problem; I just recently got a new hp laptop. When I tried using Cortana it doesn't follow commands. It just comes up with a link on Bing. It can't set... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by NJMorris, Dec 23, 2020.

1. NJMorris Win User

Cortana Beta not following commands?

I just recently got a new hp laptop. When I tried using Cortana it doesn't follow commands. It just comes up with a link on Bing. It can't set reminders or even set my alarm. I asked it to set my alarm and all it came up with his a link from bing about setting alarms. I tried asking it to open up word aswell but it can't do that either. The only think it managed to do was give my the weather forecast when I asked for it. I was just wondering how this matter could be resolved? And is this an issue with the beta version?

I've tried everything and checked all my settings. Everything is set up properly, so I don't know why this version of Cortana can't follow any commands.

:)

NJMorris, Dec 23, 2020

2. Cortana Command

Hi,

Commanding Cortana to perform the sleep function is possible. You can use Cortana to command a device to go to sleep mode by creating a shortcut for the sleep function. Follow these steps to do:

• Open the File Explorer.
    • Navigate to this location: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs.
    • Right-click inside the Programs folder and then select the New Shortcut option.
    • In the location field, type the following: rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0.
    • Name it Sleep.
    • To test if the function is already working, say "Hey Cortana, open Sleep".

Keep us updated with the result.

Darleen Pen, Dec 23, 2020
  3. Cortana Voice Commands for Music Not Working

Hi Brett,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10!

What is the edition of Windows 10 (Home, Education, Pro etc.)?

I understand that voice commands for Cortana are not working. If you have Windows 10 PRO installed in the system, then I would suggest you to try the following steps to change some group policy settings.

• Press Windows key + R, type
        Gpedit.msc
        and hit ENTER.

• Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search

• Check for: 'Allow Cortana' and 'Do not allow web search'
        – Make sure they are ‘Not Configured’ or set ‘Allow Cortana’ to Enabled and ‘Do not allow web search’ to Disabled

• Open an elevated command prompt and run:
        gpupdate /force

• Go to Settings > Verify and correct: Time, Region and Language

And, then go to Settings > Apps and Features > Manage optional features > Download Speech Recognition and Text-to-speech
    NOTE: The troubleshooting steps are only applicable to
    Windows 10 PRO

Let us know if the issue gets resolved using the troubleshooting steps.

Harkanwar Singh, Dec 23, 2020
  4. RajithR Win User

Cortana not hearing voice commands

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on the Microsoft Communities.

1. Are you able to hear other sounds from your computer?

2. Does the microphone work with other apps such as Skype?

3. Have you tried using "Learn my voice" settings?

Kindly, follow these steps and check if that helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to try to turn Cortana off and then try turning it on back and check if she talks. Refer to the steps below to turn Off and On Cortana:

• Open Cortana.
    • Click the hamburger button in the top left of the window.
    • Go to Settings and click on off.
    • Follow the same steps to turn it on.
    • Check if issue persists.
    Method 2:

I suggest you to run the Recording Audio
    troubleshooter and check if it helps.

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click on Recording Audio.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    • Check if issue persists.

Please post back with the results and the information asked, we will be glad to assist you further.

RajithR, Dec 23, 2020
Thema:

1. Cortana Beta not following commands? - Similar Threads - Cortana Beta following

2. How to uninstall Beta version of Cortana?

in Cortana
    How to uninstall Beta version of Cortana?: Hello, I have recently installed the beta version of Cortana unintentionally. There are many bugs and I want to use the old Cortana again. How do I get the non-beta version of Cortana again? I have read similar posts to this and the answer to the question is not given,...
  3. Cortana not responding to voice commands.

in Cortana
    Cortana not responding to voice commands.: Every time I need to talk to cortana, I am required to hit the mic button so that cortana can start listening to me. I even tried going to settings and turned on the "Hey cortana" option on. Still I have to press the mic button every time. The voice command "Hey cortana" is...
  4. Rollback Cortana Beta Windows 10 2004 to old Cortana

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Rollback Cortana Beta Windows 10 2004 to old Cortana: Hey there, I just need support on how to rollback Cortana beta, to the good old Cortana. I used to use the old Cortana with my Windows 10 1909 update, and it was pretty good, with lots of deep linking features like alarms and times, music control, Alexa, and many more. But...
  5. How to leave Cortana Beta Program

in Cortana
    How to leave Cortana Beta Program: How to leave Cortana Beta Program? And install Cortana release https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-leave-cortana-beta-program/314830e2-e76b-4a0e-94f9-0d4f550d3f07
  6. Cortana "BETA" WON'T sign in

in Cortana
    Cortana "BETA" WON'T sign in: Hi Everyone, Help me out, Cortana WON'T sign in hence I CAN'T use it. How do I solve the issue? Here is a screenshot of my cortana [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-beta-wont-sign-in/2ba41fa4-9c7c-429a-b29d-cd3fa354a792
  7. Cortana Beta apps features not available

in Cortana
    Cortana Beta apps features not available: i have recently downloaded windows 10 version 2004 and I have got the Cortana Beta app and many features of the previous Cortana app have been lost. When I say to open an app to Cortana, it just show web results for how to open the related app. Is there a way to fix this...
  8. Useful Coronavirus updates from Cortana Beta/non Beta

in Cortana
    Useful Coronavirus updates from Cortana Beta/non Beta: At the moment Cortana Beta/Non Beta doesn't give much useful info when you ask her about Coronavirus news/updates. It only shows a list of news article aggregated by MSN.com. It will be great if it is possible to show highlights of Covid-19 tracker developed by Microsoft URL:...
  9. Cortana commands

in Cortana
    Cortana commands: Simple question: Can cortana even do something as simple as switching between open Apps? I mean, it can launch an app (but not close it &#55356;�‍♂️)… It can start playing music on a preferred player, pause music, and even pause and resume youtube videos.... But for the life...
  10. Welcome to the Cortana and REACHit Beta

in Windows 10 News
    Welcome to the Cortana and REACHit Beta: Here's what you need to know to get started: > You'll have to be in the US and running Windows 10 on a PC or Tablet > You'll need to have Cortana already enabled and setup > Your feedback is essential! Submission details are below > Wait several hours before...