Windows 10: Cortana cannot find shortcut files (.lnk)

Discus and support Cortana cannot find shortcut files (.lnk) in Cortana to solve the problem; My computer that is running Windows 10, desktop search or Cortana, cannot find the shortcut files (files with the extension .lnk). The problem occurred... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Pamela D.Scott, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Cortana cannot find shortcut files (.lnk)

My computer that is running Windows 10, desktop search or Cortana, cannot find the shortcut files (files with the extension .lnk). The problem occurred after the update.
    I hope to help.

:)

Pamela D.Scott, Mar 20, 2019
  2. Martin 55 Win User

Windows 10 Search "Cortana" cant find Shortcut Files

Hi,

With windows 7 I were able to search for Shortcut Files that I used to save on My Documents, those shortcuts where from Files located on an external server which is mapped to my computer.

I have a new Dell Latitude that came with Windows 10, unfortunately the search engine “Cortana” can’t find any shortcut files, therefore I need to search the information on the server, which takes me a lot of time.

Questions:

• How can I make Cortana to index all the Shortcut Files (LNK File extension)???

• Can I use Cortana to Index the mapped Folder (External Server)???
    Please Help.

Martin

Martin 55, Mar 20, 2019
  3. Windows 10 WMDC .lnk files

Hi,

We'll need to gather a bit more information to better identify what's causing this. Kindly answer the following:

• Just to confirm, are you having issues copying shortcuts (.lnk files) to any devices?
    • Have you made any changes prior to the issue?
    • Are you receiving any error messages?
    • Is the issue the same when copying a different file?
    • What are the steps that you've done so far to troubleshoot the issue?

We're looking forward to your response.

Lov Dollente, Mar 20, 2019
  4. Cortana cannot find shortcut files (.lnk)

Windows 10 WMDC .lnk files

• Just to confirm, are you having issues copying shortcuts (.lnk files) to any devices?
      Yes
    • Have you made any changes prior to the issue? No, Except what is described in this trade
    • Are you receiving any error messages? It seems like there is some messages there are suppressed, there is appearing some sounds, like error sounds but no message displayed.
    • Is the issue the same when copying a different file? nope, only on the .lnk files
    • What are the steps that you've done so far to troubleshoot the issue?
      What is described in my previous comments

When it was working before the specified Windows 10 updates, it would sometimes prompt if want to do or accept something ... But unfortunately I can't remember what is was, i think it was something about if you want to do is for this files types
      and again if you want to do it for all the following files as well.

j.o.mortensen, Mar 20, 2019
Thema:

Cortana cannot find shortcut files (.lnk)

1. Cortana cannot find shortcut files (.lnk) - Similar Threads - Cortana cannot find

2. Cannot find script file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot find script file: I keep on receiving a Windows script file error saying can not find script file "C:\ness\miner\windows1.vbs". https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-find-script-file/9b6b25a9-0fa1-45c8-ada0-d3c49efe7d3e
  3. .lnk files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .lnk files: The OneDrive Support team have told me to delete the following .lnk files as they are preventing a full sync. But they've also expressed caution:"Some applications may depend on these links to function properly. Remove only the links that you know are safe to modify"....
  4. "Win + R" "powershell" - Eliminar PowerShell Shortcut (.lnk)

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Win + R" "powershell" - Eliminar PowerShell Shortcut (.lnk): Buenas tardes, Tengo instalado Windows 10 versión 1803 (OS Build 17134.254) En un Surface laptop ---- Quiera saber donde localizar el PowerShell Shortcut (.lnk) que se ejecuta al entrar la combinación de teclas "Win + R" y escribir "powershell". La razón es que "jugando" con...
  5. Finding the target file of a keyboard shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Finding the target file of a keyboard shortcut: Short version of my question: I'd like to change a keyboard shortcut that starts an app, but I've forgotten the location of the shortcut file that is targeted by the relevant keystrokes. How can I change the keyboard shortcut? Longer version of my question: I originally set...
  6. Cannot set default program for .lnk files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot set default program for .lnk files.: My .lnk files will not open properly any longer. I know you can set the EXT back to explorer in 7. I go to Choose default apps by file type, and I still cannot select a program on my system. Is there a way to use the old Win 7 tool for this. (The right click -> open...
  7. Looking for: Dead Shortcut/Link (.LNK) Finder

Looking for: Dead Shortcut/Link (.LNK) Finder: Does anyone know of an app/script to: 1. scan whole folder/drive 2. find all files ending in .lnk (i.e. shortcuts) 3. if the thing that it's pointing to does not exist -> alert me / flag it / delete it / etc I'll continue searching online, but I must not be using the...
  8. How to get back shortcut (LNK) icon?

How to get back shortcut (LNK) icon?: Hi! I'm using MysticThumbs. There is possible to hide and show filetype icon overlay. I'm using also Stardock Fences - there's not this option. I have all set as show. Problem is that shortcut (LNK file) has not icon ovelay (small arrow) - but not everywhere - on desktop...
  9. Search cannot find files

in Windows 10 Support
    Search cannot find files: I have hundreds of videos but when I try to search for them by using IN this PC the Kind:=video command the search come up empty. It simply cannot find anything I ask it to search for. I do not want to use third party search applications. I just want it to work. Does anyone...
  10. Corrupt files (Windows accessory .lnk files)

in Windows 10 Support
    Corrupt files (Windows accessory .lnk files): When I run sfc /scannow, these are the problems that can't be fixed: 2016-04-17 17:10:09, Info CSI 000051ab [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:17]"Snipping Tool.lnk" of Microsoft-Windows-SnippingTool-App, version 10.0.10586.0, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8...