Windows 10: Cortana can't perform basic functions.

Discus and support Cortana can't perform basic functions. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm trying to use Cortana to open apps, set reminders and things like that. She's advertised to be able to do all of that by Microsoft. However,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/XredtoonX, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Cortana can't perform basic functions.

I'm trying to use Cortana to open apps, set reminders and things like that. She's advertised to be able to do all of that by Microsoft. However, whenever I try to, say, open an app, I get the response "Sorry, but I'm not equipped to do that at the moment". It's either that or a Bing search. I've given the app all the permissions it needs, I've even reset my PC and updated to 20H2, she still doesn't work. Anyone know what's wrong, or is Cortana simply useless?

submitted by /u/XredtoonX
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/XredtoonX, Feb 24, 2021
  2. keith Win User

Cortana email function

Have set up Cortana in windows 10. Works OK. I ask to send email and it asks for contact name. No contact is listed in drop box list. Cannot send mail. I have functioning Comcast, Outlook and Gmail accounts. How do I establish contacts in Cortana.

keith, Feb 24, 2021
  3. cortana won`t talk to me

Hi Steven,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

It's unfortunate that you are facing this issue. Let me assist you to resolve the issue.

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• Check and verify if Cortana is activated?
    • Does Cortana search and gives any output/result on screen?
    • Is the Language and region settings set to valid value?
    • Check and verify if Cortana available in your region?
    Method 1:

I suggest you to try to turn Cortana off and then try turning it on back and check if she talks. Refer to the steps below to turn Off and On Cortana:

• Open Cortana.
    • Click the hamburger button in the top left of the window.
    • Go to Settings and click on off.
    • Follow the same steps to turn it on.
    • Check if issue persists.
    I would suggest you to refer to the article given below and check if that helps.

Cortana & search

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/cortana-search

Hope this information helps, let us know the status of the issue

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Feb 24, 2021
  4. Edwin Win User

Cortana can't perform basic functions.

Cortana email function

You need to add the contacts to the 'People' App.

Edwin, Feb 24, 2021
Thema:

Cortana can't perform basic functions.

1. Cortana can't perform basic functions. - Similar Threads - Cortana can't perform

2. Your Smartphone basic functions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Your Smartphone basic functions: Hey dear developers, hello fellow nerds in the microverse,since some time im more and more working on my smartphone, for example noting thoughts i have, doing some "pre-research" and am then looking for basic functions to transfer my work from Phone to Pc. Wanting to do that,...
  3. Your Smartphone basic functions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Your Smartphone basic functions: Hey dear developers, hello fellow nerds in the microverse,since some time im more and more working on my smartphone, for example noting thoughts i have, doing some "pre-research" and am then looking for basic functions to transfer my work from Phone to Pc. Wanting to do that,...
  4. Basic Defender function

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Basic Defender function: I use Windows Defender as my virus and malware scanner and remover. Every now and I then I see a red shield with a white x over one corner of the larger Defender shield obviously indocating a threat has been detected. When I left-click on the Defender icon, it opens the...
  5. Function Keys - Performing incorrect functions

in Windows 10 Customization
    Function Keys - Performing incorrect functions: Hello My function keys are not performing the functions that it is stated they are supposed to perform. For example, F1, F2, and F£ do not control the volume. Instead F9 increases volume, and F8 reduces volume. F11 which is apparently to control screen brightness is now...
  6. Cortana's improper functionality

in Cortana
    Cortana's improper functionality: Week ago I purchase a Headphone for better experience of windows features. In starting, it works fine and when I call her, she just do few of task and say "Sorry, I can't help with that." I'm fine with that but now today i call her she didn't respond and even can't search on...
  7. copy and paste - the most basic of basic computer functions

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    copy and paste - the most basic of basic computer functions: Oh mighty Microsoft - how low have you fallen now? I cannot copy and paste on the latest update of Windows 10. This is completely unacceptable. I realize many thousands of people are posting about this same problem. When will Microsoft put out a patch to fix this....
  8. Changing Basic Trackpad Functions

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Basic Trackpad Functions: I just got my Huawei Matebook X pro and am wondering if there is a way to make the whole touchpad left-click? Currently only the left side left clicks and the right does a right click. If possible I just want to left click with the whole touch pad and two finger tap for...
  9. Cortana email function

in Browsers and Email
    Cortana email function: Have set up Cortana in windows 10. Works OK. I ask to send email and it asks for contact name. No contact is listed in drop box list. Cannot send mail. I have functioning Comcast, Outlook and Gmail accounts. How do I establish contacts in Cortana. 19140
  10. Function keys performing the wrong function

in Windows 10 Support
    Function keys performing the wrong function: So my computer works fine, but for some reason the function keys were switched up. When I'm on the desktop, they don't do anything at all, and when I'm in Google Chrome they do things that aren't related to what they're supposed to do. F1 used to mute/unmute, now it opens...