Windows 10: Cortana closes after I pose a question to her

Discus and support Cortana closes after I pose a question to her in Cortana to solve the problem; Hello I have a Lenovo Yoga 510 running Windows 10 Home (version 1803). Recently, after posing a question to Cortana, she will suddenly just close.... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by simonhayesMS, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Cortana closes after I pose a question to her

Hello

I have a Lenovo Yoga 510 running Windows 10 Home (version 1803). Recently, after posing a question to Cortana, she will suddenly just close. This feature was working fine before the latest automatic update, and I have tried numerous 'fixes' such as ending the task in Task Manager, and also trying to teach Cortana my voice. When I try this, she will get me to repeat the first question, and then close. I have had no issues with Cortana before I updated my PC, would anybody be able to recommend a fix please? I am extremely annoyed at Microsoft for forcing these 'automatic updates' upon users without explaining their potential impacts, or allowing the option to opt-out. I never seem to have these kind of issues with my Apple MacBook, another reason Microsoft are losing loyal customers such as myself to Apple!

Thank you

:)

simonhayesMS, Apr 5, 2019

2. Cortana is not replying to any of my questions

Hi Mehul,

Logout and login into Cortana using a Microsoft account and check if the issue is resolved. Follow the steps below to logout and login into Cortana on the computer.

Step 1: To logout of Cortana, follow the steps below:

• Click on Cortana icon located next to Start button on the Task bar.
    • Click on Notebook located at the left panel of the Cortana Window.
    • Click on About me and select the Microsoft account you are currently logged in into.
    • Click on the user account displayed in the window and select Sign out.

Step 2: To sign in into Cortana, follow the steps below:

• Click on Cortana icon located next to Start button on the Task bar.
    • Click on Notebook located at the left panel of the Cortana Window.
    • Click on About me and login using the Microsoft account credentials.
    • Close the window and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the status of the above issue for further assistance.
    Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Apr 5, 2019
  3. Cortana

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

This issue can occur if some of the system files are not working as expected.

Suggest you to follow the steps from this article to
    troubleshoot Cortana on the PC

Note: Do not go with the ‘Reset PC’ option for now.

Method 1: Follow these steps to disable Cortana:

1. Sign-in to the PC with your Microsoft account.
    2. In the search box at the bottom, type Disable Cortana.
    3. Once the suggestions appear in the list, click Cortana & Search settings.
    4. From the right section of the Settings pane, move the top button to ‘Off’ to disable Cortana from Windows 10.

Method 2: Follow these steps to check if that helps.

1. Launch Cortana from the search bar on the taskbar.
    2. Then, from the left pane click the settings button.
    3. Under "Cortana" (the first option) and slide the pill switch to the ‘Off’ position.

Method 3: Launch the Settings app and click on Privacy. Navigate to Speech, inking, & typing, and click Stop getting to know me. These steps will disable Cortana.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Apr 5, 2019
  4. Cortana closes after I pose a question to her

cortana question

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Please try below methods and check if it helps.

Method
    1: I suggest you to try to turn Cortana off and then try turning it on back and check if issue persists. Refer to the steps below to turn Off and On Cortana:

• Open Cortana.

• Click the hamburger button in the top left of the window.

• Go to Settings and click on off.

• Follow the same steps to turn it on.

• Check if issue persists.

Method
    2: Try to run Microsoft Account trouble shooter and check if it helps.

Microsoft Account Troubleshooter

http://download.microsoft.com/downl...B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/microsoftaccounts.diagcab

Hope this helps. Please reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Vardhaman Shetti, Apr 5, 2019
Thema:

Cortana closes after I pose a question to her

1. Cortana closes after I pose a question to her - Similar Threads - Cortana closes pose

2. Cortana Question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cortana Question: Hello,I have a Windows 11 laptop that is registered to my Microsoft account. I would like to find the settings for Cortana, specifically the microphone setting to make sure it is shut off, but when I located the Cortana app under "Apps," it requested that I sign-in, which in...
  3. Cortana Question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana Question: Hello,I have a Windows 11 laptop that is registered to my Microsoft account. I would like to find the settings for Cortana, specifically the microphone setting to make sure it is shut off, but when I located the Cortana app under "Apps," it requested that I sign-in, which in...
  4. Cortana is closing immediately after clicking on it

in Cortana
    Cortana is closing immediately after clicking on it: Last night my Windows 10 desktop's Start menu started behaving incorrectly. While I can still open the Start menu, if I click on a folder or one of the pinned groups to open it, the Start menu immediately closes and the group is not opened. Also, if I click in the "Type here...
  5. Cortana is closing immediately after clicking on it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cortana is closing immediately after clicking on it: Last night my Windows 10 desktop's Start menu started behaving incorrectly. While I can still open the Start menu, if I click on a folder or one of the pinned groups to open it, the Start menu immediately closes and the group is not opened. Also, if I click in the "Type here...
  6. Cortana is closing immediately after clicking on it

7. I would not like Cortana screen to pop up after asking her something

in Cortana
    I would not like Cortana screen to pop up after asking her something: The screen that pops up after asking her something is blocking the screen. Is there any way to ask her something without this screen popping up every time?! Wouldn't people like an option for this, or am I missing something?...
  8. Cortana freezes a few seconds after i command her to do anything

in Cortana
    Cortana freezes a few seconds after i command her to do anything: Cortana freezes a few seconds after i command her to do anything https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-freezes-a-few-seconds-after-i-command-her/d7f5927f-8946-4eed-b0f3-111187739474"
  9. Cortana works until "Hey, Cortana" test breaks her.

in Cortana
    Cortana works until "Hey, Cortana" test breaks her.: I've reproduced this multiple times and can find no explanation for it. Cortana works like a charm until I try to set her up to listen only for my voice. The second the first "Learn how I say 'Hey Cortana" test phrase "Hey Cortana, do I have anything on Wednesday?" displays,...
  10. Cortana Question

Cortana Question: I was wondering and curious about Cortana being toggled off in all of its settings to where it doesn't even show anymore in the Task Bar [Search took its place] yet it is still consuming anywhere from 30 to 40 Mbs of memory usage on a constant basis. I realize that it is...