Windows 10: Cortana crashes when using search from taskbar/start menu

Discus and support Cortana crashes when using search from taskbar/start menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Asus G750JM Windows 10 Home As soon as I start to type in the search bar the search bar crashes preventing me from using the search function at all.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MR Easy Guns, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Cortana crashes when using search from taskbar/start menu

Asus G750JM
    Windows 10 Home

As soon as I start to type in the search bar the search bar crashes preventing me from using the search function at all. With the task manager open I can see one of the cortana processes disappear and reappear - i guess indicating that Cortana is crashing. The only way i can get search to work is: when i click in the search bar from taskbar, a cortana gui pops up and I can click the type of thing I'm searching for first. If I click "apps" the type "apps:" appears in the search bar automatically and I can proceed to type after that and search for whatever I want. Interestingly, if I start to delete the "apps:" characters, Cortana will again crash and the search bar crashes. Clicking away from the search bar anywhere else on the desktop or taskbar brings the search bar back and I'm able to try again for another crash.

This is a fresh install on a new Samsung SSD. I've reinstalled Windows about 10 times in the last couple days due to a freezing issue that it seems I solved with a bios setting, given that, I'm trying to not reinstall Windows again. After some google searching I've found quite a few others who seemed to be having the same problem as me, but I've been unable to find a solution that worked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

MR Easy Guns, Dec 23, 2018

2. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Dec 23, 2018
  3. Windows 10: start up menu and Cortana ask tab have disappeared

Hi Winnie,

Thank you for your response with the current update on the issue.

To assist you to better, please provided us the information below:

• When you say that "clicking on the tool bar does not bring up the Cortana link", what exactly are you referring to? Are you referring to toolbars present when you right click on taskbar?
    • Have you tried to enable Cortana icon by right click on taskbar and selecting Cortana?

I suggest you to follow the steps below to check if Cortana is turned on or not.

1. Click on Search bar.

2. Then type "Cortana & Search settings" without the quotes in the search bar and click on it.

3. Check if Cortana is turned on or not.

I recommend you to refer to the suggestion provided in the Microsoft Help Article about Start Menu and Cortana related issues. Check if it helps.http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Please get back to us with an update on issue with using Start Menu and Cortana, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Dec 23, 2018
  4. Cortana crashes when using search from taskbar/start menu

Start Menu Search Missing

Hi,

There could be changes or updates performed on your computer that caused this problem with your start menu search. Have you tried running the
    Start menu troubleshooter? If you haven't yet, then we suggest running it for us to further isolate the problem. Check out
    Try the troubleshooter from this link.

Please verify also if the search bar is enabled in the taskbar. To check, right-click the Taskbar, then navigate to
    Cortana > Show search box as shown in the photo below:

Cortana crashes when using search from taskbar/start menu a60a98cd-0534-4915-8f00-57faf58f344e.png

If Search is still missing in the Start menu, then please run the command below in Windows PowerShell. Follow these steps:

• In the Cortana search, type in PowerShell, then right-click
      Windows PowerShell in the search results.
    • At the command prompt, type in the command below and hit Enter.

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.XML

Let us know the result so we can further assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Dec 23, 2018
Thema:

Cortana crashes when using search from taskbar/start menu

1. Cortana crashes when using search from taskbar/start menu - Similar Threads - Cortana crashes using

2. Windows 10 - Cannot open start menu, search with Cortana, and use other taskbar buttons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 - Cannot open start menu, search with Cortana, and use other taskbar buttons: Hello,I am unable to view the start menu when pressing the windows button both physically and on the left of the taskbar, nor can I use other taskbar buttons like the notification box, volume scrollbar, Cortana search, etc. I found several Microsoft threads relating to this...
  3. Windows 10 - Cannot open start menu, search with Cortana, and use other taskbar buttons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 - Cannot open start menu, search with Cortana, and use other taskbar buttons: Hello,I am unable to view the start menu when pressing the windows button both physically and on the left of the taskbar, nor can I use other taskbar buttons like the notification box, volume scrollbar, Cortana search, etc. I found several Microsoft threads relating to this...
  4. Windows search, start menu search, Cortana, and calendar crashing immediately.

in Cortana
    Windows search, start menu search, Cortana, and calendar crashing immediately.: I've had this problem for about 2 years now, live with it, but now I'm in the mood to try fixing it again.I previously attempted to fix it through this thread before giving...
  5. Windows search, start menu search, Cortana, and calendar crashing immediately.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows search, start menu search, Cortana, and calendar crashing immediately.: I've had this problem for about 2 years now, live with it, but now I'm in the mood to try fixing it again.I previously attempted to fix it through this thread before giving...
  6. Windows search, start menu search, Cortana, and calendar crashing immediately.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Taskbar, Start menu,search And cortana are not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar, Start menu,search And cortana are not working: So I logged on my pc And i noticed all icons in task bar are gone so when i try to click the start menu its not working And when i put my cursor on the search My cursor becomes the loading thingyI tried restarting file explorer and it didnt workHelp...
  8. Start, Cortana,Edge & Search Menu

in Cortana
    Start, Cortana,Edge & Search Menu: Hi, can anyone help me out with this? Start, Cortana, Edge & Search Menu are no longer working correctly after downloading Windows 10 Pro 1903 OS Build 18362.329 32 bitX64 for 86 based systems(KB 4512941) Aug 30 update. I've still got the start button & search bar but it...
  9. Start Menu, Search, Cortana and other taskbar Items not working

in Cortana
    Start Menu, Search, Cortana and other taskbar Items not working: I had this problem before that whenever I am clicking the mouse pointer on start button it isn't working. I had updated windows and nothing worked. Had to reset. It has been 3 times now. Please Help....
  10. Web searches, Start menu and Cortana

in Windows 10 Support
    Web searches, Start menu and Cortana: Hi In Windows 10 v1511, how am I supposed to disable the Web searches from the Start menu, but I would also like Cortana continued to use the Web for research? Thanks Bye 44451