Windows 10: Cortana: do i have to stop using PCs to loes that nasty useless thing

Discus and support Cortana: do i have to stop using PCs to loes that nasty useless thing in Cortana to solve the problem; Listen Cortana is a terrible nuisance and I've read the stupid advice that doesn't work to shut it down. What am I supposed to do, just give up on... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by EdRude, Oct 30, 2018.

1. EdRude Win User

Cortana: do i have to stop using PCs to loes that nasty useless thing

Listen Cortana is a terrible nuisance and I've read the stupid advice that doesn't work to shut it down. What am I supposed to do, just give up on using PCs?

If that is what is necessary I'll get rid of the machine before Cortana drives me nuts.

:)

EdRude, Oct 30, 2018

2. Cortana: do i have to stop using PCs to loes that nasty useless thing

Hi EdRude,

I'm sorry to hear about your issues with Cortana. After reading your description of the issue I looked for info and found this statement directly from Microsoft:

"Cortana is part of the Windows 10 experience in the locales where she is available. This means Cortana can't be entirely turned off. For Cortana to work well, she needs to be integrated into the operating system. If you don’t want this functionality available
    to you follow these steps to hide Cortana from the taskbar:

Right-click (or press and hold) the search box, hover over Cortana, and then select Hidden from the side menu. This will also remove the search box from your taskbar. We don’t recommend hacking registry settings or similar measures as this can make your operating
    system unstable or crash.

You can review and control exactly what personal information Cortana can access by clicking into the search box and selecting Settings  on the left pane. You can also search "Cortana settings" in the search box on the taskbar, and select Cortana & Search settings
    from the results.

Note: Cortana is removed from the Windows 10 Education and Windows 10 Pro Education editions. See Windows 10 editions for education customers for more info."

I hope this helps to clarify things for you.

SiriuSkillZ, Nov 9, 2018
  3. EdRude Win User

Listen Cortana is a terrible nuisance and I've read the stupid advice that doesn't work to shut it down. What am I supposed to do, just give up on using PCs?

If that is what is necessary I'll get rid of the machine before Cortana drives me nuts.

EdRude, Nov 9, 2018
  4. Cortana: do i have to stop using PCs to loes that nasty useless thing

Hello, EdRude,

What steps have you taken so I do not repeat the procedure?

1) To hide Cortana:

Press and hold (or right-click) anywhere on the taskbar.

Select Cortana.

Select Hidden.

2) You can edit the registry - Ensure you create a Backup for the Registry before making the changes.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search.

Press Winkey + R to open Run box

Type Regedit then press Enter or Ok

Navigate to the following key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search.

If you don’t see a “Windows Search” key (folder) below the Windows folder, right-click the Windows folder and select New > Key. Name it “Windows Search”.

Right-click the “Windows Search” key (folder) in the left pane and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.

Name the value “AllowCortana”. Double-click it and set the value to “0”.

Source:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/265027/how-to-disable...

Close the Registry and Reboot the computer for changes to take effect.

If you decide you want to reenable Cortana in the future, go back to "AllowCortana" key and change the value to 1.

Smittychat., Nov 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Cortana: do i have to stop using PCs to loes that nasty useless thing - Similar Threads - Cortana stop using

2. This thing is useless for me...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    This thing is useless for me...: As a bengineer Windows user, I know that keep my driver on my Windows up-to-date is necessary Especially graphic, audio and Wifi drivers, updating drivers will bring us a higher experience when using apps and gamesMy problem is about my audio driver, here the detail:In my...
  3. This thing is useless for me...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    This thing is useless for me...: As a bengineer Windows user, I know that keep my driver on my Windows up-to-date is necessary Especially graphic, audio and Wifi drivers, updating drivers will bring us a higher experience when using apps and gamesMy problem is about my audio driver, here the detail:In my...
  4. why is Cortana still useless?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why is Cortana still useless?: I really really really want cortana to work, but it literally does nothing.I ask it to 'open word' and it says it cannot help with thatI ask it to play some music and it says the same sometimes it bing searches google play music - which is a service that doesn't even exist...
  5. why is Cortana still useless?

why is Cortana still useless?: I really really really want cortana to work, but it literally does nothing.I ask it to 'open word' and it says it cannot help with thatI ask it to play some music and it says the same sometimes it bing searches google play music - which is a service that doesn't even exist...
  6. Windows updates are useless, how do I stop them completely?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows updates are useless, how do I stop them completely?: Warning: The new windows update broke my PC yet again and I'm livid, so this won't be a nice and polite post. The FAQ says 'oh the updates are very-very important, they keep your PC safe blah, blah, blah' That's bulls**t. My PC runs entirely fine until I update it, at which...
  7. Windows updates are useless, how do I stop them completely?

Windows updates are useless, how do I stop them completely?: Warning: The new windows update broke my PC yet again and I'm livid, so this won't be a nice and polite post. The FAQ says 'oh the updates are very-very important, they keep your PC safe blah, blah, blah' That's bulls**t. My PC runs entirely fine until I update it, at which...
  8. Windows updates are useless, how do I stop them completely?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Why is cortana so useless?

in Cortana
    Why is cortana so useless?: it has NONE of the documented functionality. Notebook for example, ANYTHING that comes back from HELP, if you type it in, cortana just says "I cant do that" What is the point of this POS? where are the configuration instructions if these are needed?...
  10. Cortana Useless

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cortana Useless: Got a new laptop and finally got Windows 10 to activate. Cortana doesnt respond AND I also want to print to a wireless printer direct like I do from my phone but all the directions talk about a network. I dont have a network nor do I have access to one. Can I print to an HP...