Windows 10: Cortana does not respond to voice

Discus and support Cortana does not respond to voice in Cortana to solve the problem; I had a recent download in Windows 10 and Cortana no longer responds to voice questions. Can anyone provide step-by-step instructions to get Cortana... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by DonnaDumas, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Cortana does not respond to voice

I had a recent download in Windows 10 and Cortana no longer responds to voice questions. Can anyone provide step-by-step instructions to get Cortana working properly again.

:)

DonnaDumas, Dec 4, 2020

2. Cortana not responding to voice

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

The information which you have provided is not enough for us to determine the issue. Please provide us more information.

• Did you made any system changes prior to this issue?
    • Have you checked the microphone gain settings?
    Method 1:

I suggest you to try to turn Cortana off and then try turning it on back and check if she talks. Refer to the steps below to turn Off and On Cortana:

• Open Cortana.
    • Click the hamburger button in the top left of the window.
    • Go to Settings and click on off.
    • Follow the same steps to turn it on.
    • Check if issue persists.
    Method 2:

I suggest you to run the Recording Audio
    troubleshooter and check if it helps.

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click on Recording Audio.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    • Check if issue persists.

Please post back with the results and the information asked, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Dec 4, 2020
  3. Cortana not responding to voice

Hi Parth,

Your reply to Ben.07 makes no sense because he
    HAD in fact given you the answers to
    all of your questions except perhaps the "system change" one (all of us are constantly receiving Microsoft updates, so that one is fairly obscure also).

Specifically,

• Did you made any system changes prior to this issue? [this one we don't know, except that we
      all have been receiving system updates]
    • Have you checked the microphone gain settings? [He told you that dictation worked well, so of course he had adjusted the gain controls on the microphone]
    • Check and verify if Cortana is activated? [he told you that Cortana is responding to typed commands, so of course Cortana is activated]
    • Does Cortana search and gives any output/result on screen? [He
      specifically told you that YES it does! It responds to typed commands but not verbal ones
      ]
    It so happens that I am having the exact same issues (as several others have also indicated). Moreover, I tested my laptop using voice with "Hey Google" (using Chrome Canary), and it immediately responded to a series of questions (What is the weather? What
    is the time? etc.) Amusingly, my Moto X (android) also responded properly.

Cortana DOES respond to "Hey Cortana" (with a small active screen and the message "listening"), but that is all. It does not respond to the "learning" questions, stopping at the first one.

It seems, therefore, that this is NOT an issue of microphone nor adjustment of same, nor of activation of Cortana, nor availability of Cortana (I am in the USA). It seems specifically to be a problem with Cortana's failure to respond to voice, except to
    the initial prompt "Hey Cortana."

If no-one knows what the problem is caused by, fair enough. But some new ideas would be very welcome.

Thank a lot!

~AF

andrewflet, Dec 4, 2020
  4. Cortana does not respond to voice

Cortana does not respond to my voice even though I have went into settings on Windows 10

Hi Jym,

As your facing issues with accessing Cortana with your voice as it will not recognize. Do not worry, we will help you with this issue.

I suggest you to refer to the below thread and check if your issue matches with the same.

If so, try the troubleshooting steps suggested by Me () and check if it helps.

Cortana doesn't respond to my voice on my computer, but will respond to others
    walking by.

Hope it helps. Let us know with the updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 4, 2020
Thema:

Cortana does not respond to voice

1. Cortana does not respond to voice - Similar Threads - Cortana does respond

2. Cortana Not Responding to Voice Commands

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cortana Not Responding to Voice Commands: Hello, I'm having trouble with Cortana on my Windows 10 computer. When I try to use voice commands, Cortana doesn't respond at all. I've checked my microphone settings and made sure that Cortana is enabled, but it still doesn't work. Is there a fix for this issue, or any...
  3. Cortana Not Responding to Voice Commands

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana Not Responding to Voice Commands: Hello, I'm having trouble with Cortana on my Windows 10 computer. When I try to use voice commands, Cortana doesn't respond at all. I've checked my microphone settings and made sure that Cortana is enabled, but it still doesn't work. Is there a fix for this issue, or any...
  4. Cortana Version: 2.2102.8653.0 doesnt respond to voice commands

in Cortana
    Cortana Version: 2.2102.8653.0 doesnt respond to voice commands: Cortana Version: 2.2102.8653.0 doesn't respond to voice commands. Wake command 'cortana' not working. whenever i type 'open word' or any other app, it shows 'sorry i'm not equip with it'...
  5. Cortana not responding to voice commands.

in Cortana
    Cortana not responding to voice commands.: Every time I need to talk to cortana, I am required to hit the mic button so that cortana can start listening to me. I even tried going to settings and turned on the "Hey cortana" option on. Still I have to press the mic button every time. The voice command "Hey cortana" is...
  6. cortana doesn't respond correctly to my voice and some of the voices words are changed...

in Cortana
    cortana doesn't respond correctly to my voice and some of the voices words are changed...: cortana doesn't respond correctly to my voice and some of the voices words are changed alone by her for example I call say call of duty it plays call of duty on spotify if I say farah call of duty never responds and changes the words windows 10 1909 Yesterday or normal, how...
  7. why does cortana not respond to my voice

in Cortana
    why does cortana not respond to my voice: cortana does not speaK to me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-cortana-not-respond-to-my-voice/3567bcfc-062a-4deb-a2b9-097d7b8b06d3"
  8. Cortana hears but does not respond

in Cortana
    Cortana hears but does not respond: I use Cortana to get stock prices so usually, for example when working correctly, I will ask; "Exxon stock price" and receive reply. Lately, I know Cortana hears because the words show up at bottom of screen but after several seconds Cortana responds "sorry I didn't get...
  9. Cortana's voice

in Cortana
    Cortana's voice: What do I need to do to access Cortana's voice on my laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortanas-voice/22a2bf5d-66d1-49a6-a0f1-9b9d0dff6e61"
  10. Cortana's Voice

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cortana's Voice: So I asked Cortana if I could change her voice. She replied that her voice was the only available for my region. I wanted a mail voice, not her female voice. Even Apple's Siri lets you select alternate voices. Thoughts? But the way, Cortana seems to work pretty well....