Windows 10: Cortana freezes and restarts

Discus and support Cortana freezes and restarts in Cortana to solve the problem; I'm Facing this issue after the latest update to version 1809. The issue is that when I say Hey Cortana- then Cortana responds and opens but as I... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by KashishBhardwaj, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Cortana freezes and restarts

I'm Facing this issue after the latest update to version 1809.

The issue is that when I say Hey Cortana- then Cortana responds and opens but as I start to speak it freezes and restarts.

I have tried killing Cortana in Task Manager, Restarting my device.

Also the Ctrl+H command is not working when I try to dictate something.

Please help

:)

KashishBhardwaj, Feb 11, 2019
  2. Dewdrop_ Win User

Cortana Notebook

In order to enable the Notebook icon in Cortana, I suggest you to check if you have enabled Cortana.

To enable Cortana, please follow the steps below:

• Go to Cortana.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Turn on “Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts”.

Hope this helps.

Dewdrop_, Feb 11, 2019
  3. Cortana

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

This issue can occur if some of the system files are not working as expected.

Suggest you to follow the steps from this article to
    troubleshoot Cortana on the PC

Note: Do not go with the ‘Reset PC’ option for now.

Method 1: Follow these steps to disable Cortana:

1. Sign-in to the PC with your Microsoft account.
    2. In the search box at the bottom, type Disable Cortana.
    3. Once the suggestions appear in the list, click Cortana & Search settings.
    4. From the right section of the Settings pane, move the top button to ‘Off’ to disable Cortana from Windows 10.

Method 2: Follow these steps to check if that helps.

1. Launch Cortana from the search bar on the taskbar.
    2. Then, from the left pane click the settings button.
    3. Under "Cortana" (the first option) and slide the pill switch to the ‘Off’ position.

Method 3: Launch the Settings app and click on Privacy. Navigate to Speech, inking, & typing, and click Stop getting to know me. These steps will disable Cortana.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Feb 11, 2019
  4. Joan Pin Win User

Cortana freezes and restarts

Cortana Duplicated Notifucations

We suggest that you rebuild Cortana via PowerShell to restore any missing components on it that may cause the issue. Try it first on your laptop and check if the issue will persist. If the issue with the notification is resolved, you can mirror the same
    steps on your Surface.

To rebuild Cortana, follow these steps:

• In the Search box, type PowerShell.
    • Right-click on the result and select Run as administrator.
    • Copy and paste the command below to the PowerShell tool and press Enter:
      • Get-AppxPackage | % { Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register
        "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppxManifest.xml" -verbose }
    • Once done, restart your device to apply the changes.

Let us know if the steps provided above works for you.

Joan Pin, Feb 11, 2019
Thema:

Cortana freezes and restarts

1. Cortana freezes and restarts - Similar Threads - Cortana freezes restarts

2. Random Freeze and Restarts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random Freeze and Restarts: My pc is just freezes when I start playing a game or sometimes restarts but after that restart it performs fine in games. I don't know why this is happening my temperatures are normal. Sometimes it also freezes at startup i.e. at password time.Things I have done:Windows...
  3. Freeze and restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Freeze and restart: I'm currently using Windows 11 Home Insider Preview , Dev, 22504.1010. sometimes when I wake the laptop it freezes and restarts / signs out .Can anyone help solve this issue ?...
  4. Freeze and restart

Freeze and restart: I'm currently using Windows 11 Home Insider Preview , Dev, 22504.1010. sometimes when I wake the laptop it freezes and restarts / signs out .Can anyone help solve this issue ?...
  5. Freeze and restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Cortana freezing

in Cortana
    Cortana freezing: When I try talking to Cortana, she freezes after about 1 second. This started happening after the computer updated at night time in the UK. This is probably because i haven't signed in, but i don't think so because before it updated she was working fine. Before it updated i...
  7. Cortana freeze

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cortana freeze: Cortana freezes after typing one letter. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-freeze/5601cf8a-aab0-487b-8a47-866f03a5275f
  8. Restart Freezes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Restart Freezes: 2 days since WIN10H restart began to freeze. Spinning icon spins for few seconds then freezes and with it screen, mouse, keyboard, CTRL+ALT+DELETE all freeze and have to remove PC power in order to restart computer. Appreciate any help. [ATTACH]...
  9. Cortana freezes when typing in a search

Cortana freezes when typing in a search: I'm having a fun problem on my shiny new Win 10 machine. Cortana freezes when I start to type in the search box. Is there 1) a way to actually fix this? I've looked all over web and I don't see anything definitive or 2) is there a way to replace Cortana? I'm not...
  10. Freezes on restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Freezes on restart: Device is up to date, however from either the Start menu or Command prompt Windows freezes at manufacturer splash screen on restart, requiring hard shutdown, This returns even after clean install of Windows 10 suggestions or recommendations *Sick 32166