Windows 10: Cortana freezes and restarts

Discus and support Cortana freezes and restarts in Cortana to solve the problem; I'm Facing this issue after the latest update to version 1809. The issue is that when I say Hey Cortana- then Cortana responds and opens but as I... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by KashishBhardwaj, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Cortana freezes and restarts

I'm Facing this issue after the latest update to version 1809.

The issue is that when I say Hey Cortana- then Cortana responds and opens but as I start to speak it freezes and restarts.

I have tried killing Cortana in Task Manager, Restarting my device.

Also the Ctrl+H command is not working when I try to dictate something.

Please help

:)

KashishBhardwaj, Feb 11, 2019
  2. Dewdrop_ Win User

Cortana Notebook

In order to enable the Notebook icon in Cortana, I suggest you to check if you have enabled Cortana.

To enable Cortana, please follow the steps below:

• Go to Cortana.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Turn on “Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts”.

Hope this helps.

Dewdrop_, Feb 11, 2019
  3. Cortana

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

This issue can occur if some of the system files are not working as expected.

Suggest you to follow the steps from this article to
    troubleshoot Cortana on the PC

Note: Do not go with the ‘Reset PC’ option for now.

Method 1: Follow these steps to disable Cortana:

1. Sign-in to the PC with your Microsoft account.
    2. In the search box at the bottom, type Disable Cortana.
    3. Once the suggestions appear in the list, click Cortana & Search settings.
    4. From the right section of the Settings pane, move the top button to ‘Off’ to disable Cortana from Windows 10.

Method 2: Follow these steps to check if that helps.

1. Launch Cortana from the search bar on the taskbar.
    2. Then, from the left pane click the settings button.
    3. Under "Cortana" (the first option) and slide the pill switch to the ‘Off’ position.

Method 3: Launch the Settings app and click on Privacy. Navigate to Speech, inking, & typing, and click Stop getting to know me. These steps will disable Cortana.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Feb 11, 2019
  4. Joan Pin Win User

Cortana freezes and restarts

Cortana Duplicated Notifucations

We suggest that you rebuild Cortana via PowerShell to restore any missing components on it that may cause the issue. Try it first on your laptop and check if the issue will persist. If the issue with the notification is resolved, you can mirror the same
    steps on your Surface.

To rebuild Cortana, follow these steps:

• In the Search box, type PowerShell.
    • Right-click on the result and select Run as administrator.
    • Copy and paste the command below to the PowerShell tool and press Enter:
      • Get-AppxPackage | % { Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register
        "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppxManifest.xml" -verbose }
    • Once done, restart your device to apply the changes.

Let us know if the steps provided above works for you.

Joan Pin, Feb 11, 2019
Thema:

Cortana freezes and restarts

1. Cortana freezes and restarts - Similar Threads - Cortana freezes restarts

2. Restart Freezes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Restart Freezes: 2 days since WIN10H restart began to freeze. Spinning icon spins for few seconds then freezes and with it screen, mouse, keyboard, CTRL+ALT+DELETE all freeze and have to remove PC power in order to restart computer. Appreciate any help. [ATTACH]...
  3. My computer freezes and then restarts

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My computer freezes and then restarts: My computer freezes and then restarts, upgrades from Windows 8 to Windows 10, has 3 years with me, any help would be appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-freezes-and-then-restarts/3bfcdf2e-cb2e-4f31-852d-31ab21ee34a4
  4. computer freezes on restart

computer freezes on restart: running windows 1709 every time i restart i have to do a hard restart because the computer freezes before it will fully shut down and restart . This only happens when when i do windows updates. So i am unable to do 1803 update because of this all drivers are up to date...
  5. PC freezes on desktop and restarts

PC freezes on desktop and restarts: Hi, Whenever I log into my PC it brings me to my desktop but just freezes. It then resarts with the blue screen saying ‘Your PC ran into a problem and had to restart’. I can’t click on anything or do anything because everything is just frozen. I think this was after I...
  6. Freezes at 0% on restart

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Freezes at 0% on restart: Everytime I try to install this update when I go to restart it always freezes on 0% or 7% which makes me have to force shutdown via holding the power button in, when it boots up it reverts the update and makes me install it again, anyone know any fixes? Update it's...
  7. Random BSOD, freezing, and/or restarting

Random BSOD, freezing, and/or restarting: I recently replaced the mobo and the CPU on this system. I am getting BSOD and/or the computer randomly freeze or restart on its own. I did run the computer in safe mode for a whole day and did not have any of the aforementioned issues. Thank you for the help. 28683
  8. Freezes on restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Freezes on restart: Device is up to date, however from either the Start menu or Command prompt Windows freezes at manufacturer splash screen on restart, requiring hard shutdown, This returns even after clean install of Windows 10 suggestions or recommendations *Sick 32166
  9. Computer freezes on login and restarts.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Computer freezes on login and restarts.: Hi. So yesterday I installed Windows 10 on my computer via Windows update. (First went here Home page - Windows Insider Program and followed the steps) It installed normally, after it was done I got the login screen. I typed my password and pressed "next" but my computer...
  10. Computer freezes on restart

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer freezes on restart: I have had a few issues with my new HP Pavilion Pc570-P027, and now a new one. Whenever I restart the system (click restart) I get a blank screen with RESTARTING in the middle of the screen, and that's it! I can let it sit for hours, and nothing happens. I have to hold the...