Windows 10: Cortana goes away

Discus and support Cortana goes away in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've been running Windows 10 for about a week and I enjoy the quick access to Bing search. But frequently, usually after an overnight hibernation,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Donwmdmd, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Donwmdmd Win User

Cortana goes away

I've been running Windows 10 for about a week and I enjoy the quick access to Bing search. But frequently, usually after an overnight hibernation, Cortana simply becomes "unavailable". I click on the box and nothing happens! I have to reboot the machine to get it working again.

I did some online research and discovered that Cortana could be affected by the Windows 10 Geolocation Service and it now is an automatically started service on my system. That didn't solve the problem.

I would appreciate any other suggestions to get Cortana more reliable.

:)

Donwmdmd, Aug 2, 2015
  2. QuadraKev Win User

"Get Cortana on your phone."

It would appear that Microsoft wants people to get Cortana on their phones. Understandable. I hit acknowledge on the message and it goes away.. until I open Cortana again. Then the message is there again. It's pretty annoying to see it every time I open
    Cortana. How do I make this message go away and stay away other than not using Cortana?

Cortana goes away [​IMG]

QuadraKev, Aug 2, 2015
  3. Cortana

When I press the microphone button to trigger voice commands, the microphone quick goes away, not allowing me to say anything to Cortana, is this an issue with anyone else computer?

Jason O'Neal, Aug 2, 2015
  4. Cortana goes away

Hi,
    Welcome to the forum

I have had the same a few times, unfortunately I don't know a fix, but a quicker way than restarting the machine is to look for Cortana in taskmanager, then do an End Task on it

It starts back up on its own and then works

Not ideal, but its a quicker way to get it going again

paulsalter, Aug 2, 2015
  5. mkdr Win User
    A quicker solution is to log out the user and in again instead of restarting the PC.

mkdr, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Cortana goes away

1. Cortana goes away - Similar Threads - Cortana goes away

2. Is the speech to text function in windows still going to be available after Cortana goes away?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is the speech to text function in windows still going to be available after Cortana goes away?: Read about how Cortana might be going away soon, is this going to affect the speech to text function The one on Win key+H in windows in anyway?...
  3. Is the speech to text function in windows still going to be available after Cortana goes away?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is the speech to text function in windows still going to be available after Cortana goes away?: Read about how Cortana might be going away soon, is this going to affect the speech to text function The one on Win key+H in windows in anyway?...
  4. Cortana in windows is going away soon....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana in windows is going away soon....: End of support for Cortana in Windows - Microsoft SupportI love windows 10/11 Cortana. I have used it frequently since the first retail release of windows 10 1511?. I use it quite frequently. I prefer it over having to dig out my phone or tablet and consulting google...
  5. Cortana in windows is going away soon....

in Cortana
    Cortana in windows is going away soon....: End of support for Cortana in Windows - Microsoft SupportI love windows 10/11 Cortana. I have used it frequently since the first retail release of windows 10 1511?. I use it quite frequently. I prefer it over having to dig out my phone or tablet and consulting google...
  6. Cortana in windows is going away soon....

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Cortana Reminders Won't Go Away

in Cortana
    Cortana Reminders Won't Go Away: I told Cortana to "Remind me to do X every day at Y". She faithfully did so for a month or so at which point I no longer needed her to remind me. I proceeded to delete the reminder from Microsoft To Do, yet every day she continues to remind me on my computer. The reminder...
  8. Set Cortana so that I can one-click to the microphone, then it goes away.

in Cortana
    Set Cortana so that I can one-click to the microphone, then it goes away.: In the previous version of Cortana, I could click the Circle icon on my start menu and say "Start Notepad". Then Cortana went away and didn't listen to me. If I wanted to open something else, I clicked the circle and said "Open Edge". But Cortana upgraded today and now it...
  9. Cortana Just Won't Fade Away

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cortana Just Won't Fade Away: It seems that no matter what software is used or registry hack added/edited, Cortana just don't fade into the black abyss. Most software/registry edits worked in 1809, but in 1903 Cortana keeps rearing her head within Settings app; she isn't there initially, but give it...
  10. Task bar popup goes away

in Windows 10 Customization
    Task bar popup goes away: everytime I click on a taskbar item and slide the mouse up, the context popup immediately disappears. to adjust the volume say, I have to click, move the mouse up, and 9 times out of 10 the volume popup disappears unless I am very quick....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cortana goes away