Windows 10: Cortana: Has Microsoft given up on her?

Discus and support Cortana: Has Microsoft given up on her? in Cortana to solve the problem; Since the introduction of Cortana with Windows 10 in 2014, Cortana has steadily become increasingly unstable and Microsoft has become less and less... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by razzell2, Mar 10, 2019.

1. razzell2 Win User

Cortana: Has Microsoft given up on her?

Since the introduction of Cortana with Windows 10 in 2014, Cortana has steadily become increasingly unstable and Microsoft has become less and less concerned with all of the users who are begging for help to get her working again, or in creating some kind of an update or patch to reinstall her and fix her. Instead of admitting that Cortana, Microsoft's version of Apple's voice helper Siri, is a failure, they have apparently taken the stance that if they ignore it long enough it will go away. Many Cortana users, tired of trying all of the many useless forum suggestions and fixes probably wish she would just go away, perhaps thinking that a new OS upgrade to Windows 11 might resolve the Cortana issue, or remove her altogether. But, alas, there will be no Windows 11. Microsoft is skipping 11 and jumping directly to Windows 12, an OS upgrade due in "early 2019". Is this the admission that Cortana is a failure, or will it be an OS update that will repair Cortana once and for all? Only time will tell. Sadly, Cortana cannot. What are your thoughts on this?

:)

razzell2, Mar 10, 2019

2. Cortana

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

This issue can occur if some of the system files are not working as expected.

Suggest you to follow the steps from this article to
    troubleshoot Cortana on the PC

Note: Do not go with the ‘Reset PC’ option for now.

Method 1: Follow these steps to disable Cortana:

1. Sign-in to the PC with your Microsoft account.
    2. In the search box at the bottom, type Disable Cortana.
    3. Once the suggestions appear in the list, click Cortana & Search settings.
    4. From the right section of the Settings pane, move the top button to ‘Off’ to disable Cortana from Windows 10.

Method 2: Follow these steps to check if that helps.

1. Launch Cortana from the search bar on the taskbar.
    2. Then, from the left pane click the settings button.
    3. Under "Cortana" (the first option) and slide the pill switch to the ‘Off’ position.

Method 3: Launch the Settings app and click on Privacy. Navigate to Speech, inking, & typing, and click Stop getting to know me. These steps will disable Cortana.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Mar 10, 2019
  3. No Cortana Icon on Microsoft Edge

Hi Praveen,

It is possible that the Show search and site suggestions as I type option in Microsoft Edge isn't enabled which explains why the Cortana icon is not visible. To check, follow these steps:

• Open Microsoft Edge.
    • Click the Menu button (...).
    • Click Settings.
    • Scroll down and click View advanced settings.

• Turn on the toggle switch for the Have Cortana assist me in Microsoft Edge
      option.

• Turn on the toggle switch for the Show search and site suggestions as I type option.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Aileen Alf, Mar 10, 2019
  4. Dewdrop_ Win User

Cortana Notebook

In order to enable the Notebook icon in Cortana, I suggest you to check if you have enabled Cortana.

To enable Cortana, please follow the steps below:

• Go to Cortana.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Turn on “Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts”.

Hope this helps.

Dewdrop_, Mar 10, 2019
Thema:

1. Cortana: Has Microsoft given up on her? - Similar Threads - Cortana Has Microsoft

2. Daughter has Admisitrator flag on her account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Daughter has Admisitrator flag on her account: Hello. I just attempted to switch my daughter's account from Administrator to Standard User. The settings show her as a Standard User, but on our Family Settings page she is still flagged as an Administrator?...
  3. HOW TO REMOVE CORTANA ON TEAMS, DESKTOP AND HER DAILY BRIEFINGS??? MICROSOFT PLEASE STOP...

in Cortana
    HOW TO REMOVE CORTANA ON TEAMS, DESKTOP AND HER DAILY BRIEFINGS??? MICROSOFT PLEASE STOP...: The daily briefings and any email I get from Cortana are a mess. They are annoying and clog up my inbox. I find typos and misspellings in other "Cortana" emails. Cortana in both Teams and my Desktop pop up when I don't want them. She's worthless on desktop. Ever tried the...
  4. Cortana has lost her mind today. She is unable to even tell time.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cortana has lost her mind today. She is unable to even tell time.: Although she has been working fine until today, (03/15/2021) Cortana suddenly cannot tell you the time, she cannot tell you the weather, she cannot even give a response to the sample questions in her popup window. Her only response is "Sorry, I'm not able to help with this...
  5. I would not like Cortana screen to pop up after asking her something

in Cortana
    I would not like Cortana screen to pop up after asking her something: The screen that pops up after asking her something is blocking the screen. Is there any way to ask her something without this screen popping up every time?! Wouldn't people like an option for this, or am I missing something?...
  6. Cortana closes after I pose a question to her

in Cortana
    Cortana closes after I pose a question to her: Hello I have a Lenovo Yoga 510 running Windows 10 Home (version 1803). Recently, after posing a question to Cortana, she will suddenly just close. This feature was working fine before the latest automatic update, and I have tried numerous 'fixes' such as ending the task in...
  7. Cortana when given a command no matter what it is keeps popping up bluetooth settings.

in Cortana
    Cortana when given a command no matter what it is keeps popping up bluetooth settings.: If I say open up youtube she always brings up the Bluetooth settings box no matter what command I give. I just got this laptop and was trying to set up a small speaker and pairing it. And at first she would respond to my commands and take me to youtube or what ever but not...
  8. Cortana works until "Hey, Cortana" test breaks her.

in Cortana
    Cortana works until "Hey, Cortana" test breaks her.: I've reproduced this multiple times and can find no explanation for it. Cortana works like a charm until I try to set her up to listen only for my voice. The second the first "Learn how I say 'Hey Cortana" test phrase "Hey Cortana, do I have anything on Wednesday?" displays,...
  9. Disabled Cortana, now cannot re-enable her.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disabled Cortana, now cannot re-enable her.: I disabled Cortana and Telemetry a couple weeks ago, but now I want to reverse my actions. Here's what I did initially: Code: In regedit - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > Windows Search I created a new DWORD and named it AllowCortana, and...
  10. Cortana: Now available where and when you need her

in Windows 10 News
    Cortana: Now available where and when you need her: Cortana was created to be a truly personal digital assistant – available on the go, no matter where or when you need help, and on whatever device you carry. That’s why it’s important to us that we bring Cortana to not only the Windows 10 ecosystem, but to other platforms....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. has microsoft given up on cortana