Windows 10: Cortana in education removed...Can it be re-enabled?

Discus and support Cortana in education removed...Can it be re-enabled? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello I'm running windows 10 education and the anniversary update wrecked two things I regularly use RDP ( fixed now they updated app version last... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by maxatv, Aug 3, 2016.

1. maxatv Win User

Cortana in education removed...Can it be re-enabled?

Hello I'm running windows 10 education and the anniversary update wrecked two things I regularly use

RDP ( fixed now they updated app version last night )

Cortana...yes I know i'm weird right now all people want to do is disable her but I used it alot. Only in education its been disabled, is there a way to turn it back on. I've looked in registry and there are a bunch of flags not present in any i've found searching for an aswer. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Cortana in education removed...Can it be re-enabled? [​IMG]

:)

maxatv, Aug 3, 2016
  2. Rayen Yesuraj, Aug 3, 2016
  3. Cortana not working on Windows 10 Education 64-bit after anniversary update

I did create the "BingSearchEnabled" in regedit and set it on (1). I then re-booted. The parameter remains there and remains set, but no Cortana.

I assume the code to look for the parameter is disabled or missing.

More about Cortana on education Edition.

There is some discussion on one of the websites that They have 'temporarily' disabled Cortana and will release an update with an appropriate version of Cortana for the education market at some unspecified point in the future.

Cortona removal is discussed here on Microsoft Technet: Windows 10 editions for education customers

And this site says that "Microsoft is working on creating a future Cortana service that has an "education-appropriate experience."

Windows 10 Update Bringing More Cortana, New Education SKU -- Redmond Channel Partner

CuriousCat9, Aug 3, 2016
  4. maxatv Win User

I've tried comparing and renaming ones that aren't listed in the pro version, no joy so far. Any suggestions or ideas?

maxatv, Aug 4, 2016
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    Unfortunately, it appears MS has removed it from Educational release. Read here about 1 page down...

Windows 10 Education

Windows 10 Education builds on Windows 10 Enterprise and provides the enterprise-grade manageability and security desired by many schools. Windows 10 Education is effectively a variant of Windows 10 Enterprise that provides education-specific default settings, including the removal of Cortana1. These default settings disable tips, tricks and suggestions & Windows Store suggestions. More detailed information on these default settings is available in Manage Windows 10 and Windows Store tips, tricks and suggestions.

Windows 10 editions for education customers

f14tomcat, Aug 4, 2016
  6. maxatv Win User
    Thanks for the reply! I did see that, but I know Cortana isn't removed. It is still there, the files are still there, registry keys and when I booted up the first time and then the first time with RDP cortana appears briefly with the microphon in the search bar before dissapearing. Got to be a way in settings to bypass the disable? Or at least make is so the search bar shows more than just local files like can search the internet etc.

maxatv, Aug 4, 2016
  7. She may be there so you can upgrade editions from Education to Enterprise? I can go from Home to Pro with a product key change. No install media needed, the files/features are already there and unlocked. I can go from Pro to Education with a change product key too. Enterprise to Education too which surprised me. I have no idea if you can go from Education to Pro though? I haven't tried it. Any of these edition changes require a valid product code or digital entitlement, or they won't activate.

alphanumeric, Aug 5, 2016
  8. f14tomcat Win User

That's very likely. With some minor exceptions, all the code is there, just disabled. Like Win 7 Pro ---> Win 7 Ultimate, just pop in a key. All the necessary components may not already be there and will DL on activation. That's probably why he's seeing the reg keys and some of the files....just the backbone stuff.

f14tomcat, Aug 5, 2016
  9. I've done the Home to Pro with no Internet Connection and didn't get any prompts for install media. I haven't bothered to unplug when going from say Pro to Education or Enterprise. It happens pretty quickly and as far as I can tell nothing was downloaded. Not from what I saw on screen anyway. As always YMMV. My installs were done with my MSDN ISO's, not sure if the MCT ISO's are different.

alphanumeric, Aug 5, 2016
  10. naankttvn Win User
    Here is what you do

1. Install the Creators Update
    2. Go to the following registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search

3. Change the values as shown in the picture.

Cortana in education removed...Can it be re-enabled? [​IMG]

naankttvn, Apr 15, 2017
  11. Cortana was installed and enabled when I upgraded from the AU to CU. I didn't have to do or change anything. Cortana is now included in the Education version.

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cortana in education removed...Can it be re-enabled? - Similar Threads - Cortana education removed

2. Enabling education theme

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enabling education theme: How to enable education theme? My windows 11 version 22H2 Home edition. I found this in the link below, but I don’t understand to enable education theme. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/education/windows/edu-themes?tabs=ppkg#enable-education-themes...
  3. Enabling education theme

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enabling education theme: How to enable education theme? My windows 11 version 22H2 Home edition. I found this in the link below, but I don’t understand to enable education theme. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/education/windows/edu-themes?tabs=ppkg#enable-education-themes...
  4. enable Cortana

in Cortana
    enable Cortana: I cannot get Cortana to change and open. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enable-cortana/ea55e2d4-433c-4259-95f6-07586c39d704"
  5. Windows 10 Education and Cortana

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Education and Cortana: I recently installed Windows 10 Education on our school laptops but cortana is still enabled. When reading bout this OS on microsoft, they advised this OS doesn't come woth Cortana. Can anyone advise why it would still be enabled?...
  6. Enabling Cortana

in Cortana
    Enabling Cortana: hi there, i disabled cortana when i installed my os and now i want to enable her. the cortana icon is still in the start menu and when i clink it it just takes me to the search bar i have looked around and followed some pre-existing guides with no luck i am running 10 pro...
  7. How to re-enable Cortana after disabling with .bak method?

How to re-enable Cortana after disabling with .bak method?: I'm on the Windows 10 Anniversary Update version and a while back I disabled Cortana completely with this method: Can I completely disable Cortana on Windows 10? - Super User Now I want to re-enable it again, how would I go about that? I checked the SystemApps folder...
  8. Disabled Cortana, now cannot re-enable her.

Disabled Cortana, now cannot re-enable her.: I disabled Cortana and Telemetry a couple weeks ago, but now I want to reverse my actions. Here's what I did initially: Code: In regedit - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > Windows Search I created a new DWORD and named it AllowCortana, and...
  9. How do I re-enable Cortana?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I re-enable Cortana?: I have disabled and renamed the folder of cortana, knowing not what I was doing and now I can't use the search function. I really need this for what I do. I thought I could close Cortana without getting rid of the search function, but I guess it did. *cry Now, I don't know...
  10. Re-enabling local file search in taskbar with Cortana disabled

in Windows 10 Support
    Re-enabling local file search in taskbar with Cortana disabled: Hello! If I disable websearch in the taskbar by setting the key Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search\ConnectedSearchUseWeb to 0 and/or I disable Cortana completely either by setting the key...