Windows 10: Cortana interfering with search engine preference in Vivaldi browser - Windows 10 search bug?

Discus and support Cortana interfering with search engine preference in Vivaldi browser - Windows 10 search bug? in Cortana to solve the problem; Split from this thread. Jim, Hi, I have a search question too. I installed win 10 home pro 3 days ago. I use vivaldi as my browser. I am not able to... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by friardave, Feb 26, 2020.

1. friardave Win User

Cortana interfering with search engine preference in Vivaldi browser - Windows 10 search bug?

Split from this thread.​

Jim,

Hi, I have a search question too. I installed win 10 home pro 3 days ago. I use vivaldi as my browser. I am not able to use the address bar as search or the search bar on the top right. Cortana apparently would not allow that. So I disabled cortana and my search bars still don't work. Is that a win 10 thing or a browser issue?

Another question I have is when I start my computer. all the pages I had open from the session before reload onto the desktop. Is there a way to stop that?

Thanks,

dave

:)

friardave, Feb 26, 2020

2. Cortana's Search Engine Preference

Hi Bill,

The default search engine for Cortana cannot be changed because Cortana is powered by Bing upon her release. However, you can easily change the default search engine in Edge by following the steps on this link

Change the default search engine in Microsoft Edge

Let us know if there are other concerns.

Jomel_Santos, Feb 26, 2020
  3. Default OS Search Engine (not browser)

Hi mikehd, welcome to Ten Forums.

Checkout this info;

Foxtana Pro - Redirect Cortana – Get this Extension for Firefox (en-US)

Search results for "Bing to Google " – Add-ons for Firefox (en-US)

This has info to redirect Edge to your choice of a default browser and also redirect bing to your preferred search engine. I use Chrometana and Edge deflector with Vivaldi to accomplish the same function and it works flawlessly.

FYI, with those additions to Vivaldi I'm able to use the Cortana web search option with my choice of browser and search engine. I believe the link above has the info to do the same with Firefox. This also works for context menu search. Is this what you're looking for?

W10 Tweaker, Feb 26, 2020
  4. mikehd Win User

Cortana interfering with search engine preference in Vivaldi browser - Windows 10 search bug?

Default OS Search Engine (not browser)

I installed Foxtana Pro and... it works. Never would have guessed that would be a solution. Thanks.

mikehd, Feb 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Cortana interfering with search engine preference in Vivaldi browser - Windows 10 search bug? - Similar Threads - Cortana interfering search

2. Microsoft Edge Search Engine preferences.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Edge Search Engine preferences.: I've tried changing the default search engine used in the address bar from Bing to Google Microsoft Edge 115.0.1901.203 of an AVD session host. When I sign out and back in, Edge warns me that "Microsoft Edge has detected your default search engine setting was changed by an...
  3. Microsoft Edge Search Engine preferences.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Edge Search Engine preferences.: I've tried changing the default search engine used in the address bar from Bing to Google Microsoft Edge 115.0.1901.203 of an AVD session host. When I sign out and back in, Edge warns me that "Microsoft Edge has detected your default search engine setting was changed by an...
  4. How to change the browser/search engine assigned to search bar

in Cortana
    How to change the browser/search engine assigned to search bar: Is there a way to assign Firefox to the windows web search bar yet?Seriously, this is a real pain in the donkey. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-the-browsersearch-engine-assigned-to/dac846a5-c96f-41fb-83fb-01803672e334
  5. How to change the browser/search engine assigned to search bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change the browser/search engine assigned to search bar: Is there a way to assign Firefox to the windows web search bar yet?Seriously, this is a real pain in the donkey. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-the-browsersearch-engine-assigned-to/dac846a5-c96f-41fb-83fb-01803672e334
  6. How to change the browser/search engine assigned to search bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows 10 Search Engine default browser

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Search Engine default browser: I often use the Windows 10 Search Engine by hitting the Windowskey and typing in the Software or File name, to launch them. I've seen that websearch is also possible but it uses Microsoft Edge and Bing even though Firefox is my default browser. So I was wondering if it would...
  8. Google as search engine keeps changing to Bing, even though it is my preferred search engine.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Google as search engine keeps changing to Bing, even though it is my preferred search engine.: I want Google to be my search engine, but Windows keeps changing it to Bing, even though it is my preferred engine. I've even removed all the other names on the choice list. How can I fix this?...
  9. Default OS Search Engine (not browser)

in Windows 10 Support
    Default OS Search Engine (not browser): Hi all, I've done a fair bit of searching on this site and others and cannot find any mention of how to change the search engine used by the OS from Bing to anything else. This is the search engine used when you, for example, right click on a process name in task manager and...
  10. Windows 10 Search/Cortana Bug

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Search/Cortana Bug: Hi guys. I did a fresh reinstall of Windows 10. Worked flawlessly, even the activation (pretty proud of myself lol) but bit of a weird bug happens sometimes. If I left click on Search next to start bar, it will light up but not open. It will on the second click but just a bit...