Windows 10: Cortana is closing immediately after clicking on it

Discus and support Cortana is closing immediately after clicking on it in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Last night my Windows 10 desktop's Start menu started behaving incorrectly. While I can still open the Start menu, if I click on a folder or one of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Mark the Magnificent, Nov 16, 2021.

1. Cortana is closing immediately after clicking on it

Last night my Windows 10 desktop's Start menu started behaving incorrectly. While I can still open the Start menu, if I click on a folder or one of the pinned groups to open it, the Start menu immediately closes and the group is not opened. Also, if I click in the "Type here to search" area I am unable to type anything and the popup that is supposed to appear closes immediately after flashing open. Windows Explorer is also not working - if I click in the Search area, I cannot type there. This also happens with another user account I created, but does not occur when I run Windows in Safe Mo

:)

Mark the Magnificent, Nov 16, 2021

2. Cortana

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

This issue can occur if some of the system files are not working as expected.

Suggest you to follow the steps from this article to
    troubleshoot Cortana on the PC

Note: Do not go with the ‘Reset PC’ option for now.

Method 1: Follow these steps to disable Cortana:

1. Sign-in to the PC with your Microsoft account.
    2. In the search box at the bottom, type Disable Cortana.
    3. Once the suggestions appear in the list, click Cortana & Search settings.
    4. From the right section of the Settings pane, move the top button to ‘Off’ to disable Cortana from Windows 10.

Method 2: Follow these steps to check if that helps.

1. Launch Cortana from the search bar on the taskbar.
    2. Then, from the left pane click the settings button.
    3. Under "Cortana" (the first option) and slide the pill switch to the ‘Off’ position.

Method 3: Launch the Settings app and click on Privacy. Navigate to Speech, inking, & typing, and click Stop getting to know me. These steps will disable Cortana.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Nov 16, 2021
  3. Cortana closes out as soon as I click the 'Learn My Voice' button

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

The information which you have provided is not enough for us to determine the issue. Please provide us more information.

• Did you made any system changes prior to this issue?
    • Have you checked the microphone gain settings?
    • Check and verify if Cortana is activated?
    • Does Cortana search and gives any output/result on screen?
    Method 1:

I suggest you to try to turn Cortana off and then try turning it on back and check if she talks. Refer to the steps below to turn Off and On Cortana:

• Open Cortana.
    • Click the hamburger button in the top left of the window.
    • Go to Settings and click on off.
    • Follow the same steps to turn it on.
    • Check if issue persists.

Method 2:

I suggest you to run the Recording Audio
    troubleshooter and check if it helps.

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click on Recording Audio.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    • Check if issue persists.
    For more information kindly refer to the below given link and check if that answer your query:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10/99a6fc79-1119-4ca3-bc19-71d12d264567

Please post back with the results and the information asked, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Nov 16, 2021
  4. John Vil Win User

Cortana is closing immediately after clicking on it

Windows 10 Mail closes immediately

Hi,

One possible reason why your Mail app closes unexpectedly is due to a corrupted system file. To provide you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps, kindly answer the questions below:

• Were there any significant hardware/software changes on your computer prior to this happening?
    • What version of Windows are you using? To check, type winver on
      Cortana's search field and press Enter.
    • Are there any cumulative updates available?
    • Is this issue happening on other apps?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried?

We're looking forward for your response.

John Vil, Nov 16, 2021
Thema:

Cortana is closing immediately after clicking on it

1. Cortana is closing immediately after clicking on it - Similar Threads - Cortana closing immediately

2. Settings close immediately after opening.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings close immediately after opening.: Everytime I open settings it closes immediately. I don’t know how to fix this problem I’ve tried factory resetting my entire pc and I’ve tried using Powershell, Command Prompt, and even Task manager to try to make it work again. I can’t go on Microsoft Edge because I need to...
  3. Settings immediately closes after opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings immediately closes after opening: Before I'm recommended sfc /scannow trust me, I've tried everything. I've tried DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and DISM.exe /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup and DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth and nothing works. For other people it...
  4. Settings immediately closes after opening

in Windows 10 Customization
    Settings immediately closes after opening: Before I'm recommended sfc /scannow trust me, I've tried everything. I've tried DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and DISM.exe /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup and DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth and nothing works. For other people it...
  5. windows security settings closing immediately after closing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows security settings closing immediately after closing: Whenever i open windows security, the window instantly closes. i've tried using sfc /scannow, reinstalling windows and checking for malware with Malwarebytes. However none of these solutions seemed to help me. i'm also missing the windows defender service and antimalware...
  6. Store closes immediately after opening

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Store closes immediately after opening: I have tried many ways but windows store not opening ..it just loads and closes itself.I tried ;reseting the appclear cachesync timetroubleshootingand restarting but not a single work for me.plz help me to solve this problem...
  7. Store closes immediately after opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Store closes immediately after opening: I have tried many ways but windows store not opening ..it just loads and closes itself.I tried ;reseting the appclear cachesync timetroubleshootingand restarting but not a single work for me.plz help me to solve this problem...
  8. Store closes immediately after opening

9. Cortana is closing immediately after clicking on it

in Cortana
    Cortana is closing immediately after clicking on it: Last night my Windows 10 desktop's Start menu started behaving incorrectly. While I can still open the Start menu, if I click on a folder or one of the pinned groups to open it, the Start menu immediately closes and the group is not opened. Also, if I click in the "Type here...
  10. Cortana is closing immediately after clicking on it

Cortana is closing immediately after clicking on it: Last night my Windows 10 desktop's Start menu started behaving incorrectly. While I can still open the Start menu, if I click on a folder or one of the pinned groups to open it, the Start menu immediately closes and the group is not opened. Also, if I click in the "Type here...