Windows 10: Cortana just disappeared!

Discus and support Cortana just disappeared! in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm still having trouble with Cortana and the Search box. I used HP's maintenance program to Restore to an earlier time but no help. I still get a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Cyberdesigner, Aug 14, 2015.

1. JerryVan Win User

Cortana just disappeared!

I'm still having trouble with Cortana and the Search box. I used HP's maintenance program to Restore to an earlier time but no help. I still get a critical error when I left-click on the start button but I can right-click and get to some of the options.

JerryVan, Aug 15, 2015
  2. Cliff S New Member

Try the switch in Action Center:

Cortana just disappeared! [​IMG]

Cliff S, Aug 15, 2015
  3. Teflon Win User
    Thanks. Haven't noticed that button before, but sadly, it's greyed out also. *Mad I suspect this may be the reason Cortana isn't playing ball.

Must be a reason behind all this - hope it's a simple fix.

Cliff

Teflon, Aug 15, 2015
  4. Cliff S New Member

Something I have saved in a file for undetermined problems like this:

You can fix Windows files by copy & pasting in an Admin Command Prompt:

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup&sfc/scannow&Dism/Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth&sfc/scannow&pause

And let it run through then
    reboot and run it again to check if it cleaned everything. It
    may take awhile depending on your hardware(HDD or SSD), and it may
    appear to freeze at 20% on the third part, just be patient and
    let in run out.

Cliff S, Aug 15, 2015
  5. Teflon Win User
    Many thanks. Running it now, so fingers crossed.

Cliff

Teflon, Aug 15, 2015
  6. Teflon Win User
    Just finished running and re-booted for first time, and no success I'm afraid. I will run it a 2nd time as you suggest in the morning.

Whilst waiting for the command line to do it's thing, I was having a look in Services.msc and noticed that "Geolocation" was disabled. Not sure if this has any relevance, but tried to enable it and it said "required file not found" (or similar).

When I get a chance later tomorrow, I will check this against our laptop, which so far has a fully working Cortana.

Thanks for all your help in the meantime, and I'll report back later tomorrow.

Cheers,

Cliff

Teflon, Aug 15, 2015
  7. Cliff S New Member
    Good morning!(I just got up) Good idea, you can look in the properties and see what dependencies it has and may another has been changed/turned off.

Cliff S, Aug 15, 2015
  8. Cortana just disappeared!

I bet it's back by the new year.

teachermark, Aug 15, 2015
  9. Cliff S New Member
    Ok, Hope never dies... but the Control Panel will!

Cliff S, Aug 15, 2015
  10. Teflon Win User
    Thanks for this. Sadly I have to gout this morning (Grrr), but will have a good look this afternoon.

Thanks again,

Cliff

Teflon, Aug 15, 2015
  11. Cliff S New Member
    You're very welcome, and it's good to be able to "talk" to another Cliff, as we have a rare name*Smile.

Cliff S, Aug 15, 2015
  12. Teflon Win User
    We do indeed - though I often get called Chris, or sometimes Clive!

Anyhow, the good news - my PC is fixed! *Smile*Smile*Smile

The issue was indeed the location services as you had mentioned earlier. I had a play with my wifes laptop and found that her "Geolocation service" was running fine. I disabled the service to see what effect it would have, but then discovered that I could not re-enable it (Opps!). It produced the same error message as I was getting on my desktop pc (cannot find specified file). A bit of Googling took me to an MS support site, which said this was a known issue with Win 10:

"GeolocationAfter disabling the Geolocation Service by changing startup type to Disabled, attempts to re-enable it will fail with an error message. As the Geolocation Service can no longer be started, Geolocation will remain disabled on the device and prevent location based functionality from working. To work around this issue, manually delete the following regkey using regedit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lfsvc\TriggerInfo\3."

I edited the registry as described, and sure enough, the Geolocation service could then be started. I opened MS Config, and made sure it was set to run at startup, re-booted, and after a restart, my "Location" button was live, along with an all singing and dancing Cortana. *Smile

Many thanks for all your help with this. I would never have got it sorted had you not pointed me in the direction of the location service, as I had assumed that the location service was aimed at tablets with a GPS chip! *Redface

Cheers,

Cliff

Teflon, Aug 15, 2015
  13. Cliff S New Member

Cliff S, Aug 15, 2015
  14. Ive with this one: Review, capture, flag download and locate "enable cortana.reg" and click ok until dialog box continued asks for consent disappears. sign out, back in, done. For me, this solved it.

the event viewer is just madness though. ‪cortana fix ‬‏ - Google Drive

Bright Eyes, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cortana just disappeared! - Similar Threads - Cortana disappeared

2. Without cause blink and my Start Button and Cortana Disappeared. The Start button looks...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Without cause blink and my Start Button and Cortana Disappeared. The Start button looks...: My less that a year old Nexus Windows 10 woke up one morning and the Start and Cortana button missing. In their place is what looks like a weather icon a cloud with 65 degrees on it with the word cloudy. I have been getting the normal automated updates for a few months now...
  3. Without cause blink and my Start Button and Cortana Disappeared. The Start button looks...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Without cause blink and my Start Button and Cortana Disappeared. The Start button looks...: My less that a year old Nexus Windows 10 woke up one morning and the Start and Cortana button missing. In their place is what looks like a weather icon a cloud with 65 degrees on it with the word cloudy. I have been getting the normal automated updates for a few months now...
  4. Without cause blink and my Start Button and Cortana Disappeared. The Start button looks...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. News & Interests pops up then disappears (also Search and Cortana)

News & Interests pops up then disappears (also Search and Cortana): I have eight win10 machines in my home. They are all up to date, and today "News & Interests" showed up on all eight machines (after rebooting). They all work as expected except my primary laptop, which shows the Icon (or Icon and Text) just fine in the taskbar, but when I...
  6. About Cortana being disappeared

in Cortana
    About Cortana being disappeared: Hello there, Today I am very sad as Cortana has disappeared from my PC. I loved her being my assistant very much. But unfortunately, today when I was working, suddenly Cortana disappeared from my PC. I tried all the suggestions mentioned in the 'Microsoft Community's...
  7. Cortana disappeared

in Cortana
    Cortana disappeared: I installed a new Epson XP-6100 all in one printer. Cortana disappeared and I have not been able to find her to reinstall. Or, how to reinstall a new Cortana App. Thank you for any help. * Moved from MSN...
  8. Cortana search box disappeared

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cortana search box disappeared: I went for a factory reset and now cortana search box is missing from taskbar. How do I enable it again. Normal box is still there but the one with cortana logo is not present anymore....
  9. Cortana Reminders Disappeared

Cortana Reminders Disappeared: The last time I used Cortana it had a menu that I could choose to see all my reminders. Today that menu is gone. How do I see the reminders I have set?[ATTACH]...
  10. The search facility has disappeared from the taskbar i used to just click on cortana but...

in Cortana
    The search facility has disappeared from the taskbar i used to just click on cortana but...: The search facility has disappeared from the taskbar I cannot search for anything. I used to just click on cortana and type in the file name. I do not have voice activation, but nothing happens now....