Windows 10: Cortana Lag on Initial Keystroke

Discus and support Cortana Lag on Initial Keystroke in Cortana to solve the problem; Cortana lags on the initial keystroke. System is a Windows 10 Huawei Matebook. I reported this to a Microsoft agent during an online chat with an... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by energeee, Oct 3, 2019.

1. energeee Win User

Cortana Lag on Initial Keystroke

Cortana lags on the initial keystroke.

System is a Windows 10 Huawei Matebook.

I reported this to a Microsoft agent during an online chat with an MS agent.

He advised me that it would be an issue with the hardware and I must contact the hardware vendor.

I advised him that I believe he is wrong since it is almost entirely unlikely that the hardware vendor could create a keyboard or driver that would only lag on one event. ie. Cortana lags on initial keystroke. Under no other circumstances within Windows 10, or within Windows software or within any 3rd party Windows programs does the initial keystroke ever lag.

When the agent asked whether I was satisfied with the answer. I told him that while he may have provided an answer I also advised him that I am however still not satisfied with his answer as it does not meet the standards of a logical answer.

Since then I also tested Cortana on a Samsung laptop running the same version of WIndows 10 (1903). Again Cortana lags on Initial Keystroke.

I then searched for other users experiencing the same lag.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...eystroke/4af7cdb2-0530-489b-9dfe-07c1353d3523

^ As per the above link, It was very simple to find other users experiencing the same issue: "Cortana lags on the initial keystroke".

It fails logic that keyboard/drivers provided by multiple manufacturers would all experience Cortana lagging with the initial keystroke - BUT would have no keyboard issues at any other time. Unless this is a Microsoft Windows issue, which of course it obviously is.

Instead of simply dismissing the obvious, could MS kindly fix the issue instead of inanely referring users of Win 10 back to hardware vendors.

Microsoft please address this basic Windows 10 Cortana issue.

Thank you.

:)

energeee, Oct 3, 2019
  2. Rey Cam Win User

Hi,

Cortana may not be entirely deactivated since it is an integral part of Windows 10. If you do not want to utilize it, here is what you may do:

• Right-click (or press and hold) the Search box.
    • Hover over Cortana, and then select Hidden from the side menu.

Please note that doing the above steps, will also remove the
    Search box from your taskbar. Altering registry settings or other measures to disable it may have an adverse effect on your computer's operating system, therefore it is not recommended. Your computer may be rendered unstable or even crash.

Another option is to check on your keyboard. Please run the Hardware and device wizard. Kindly check
    How to use Microsoft easy fix solutions and click on the link about
    Fix and find fix problems with devices and hardware.

Keep us updated with the status of the issue and we'll be glad to assist you further.

Note: If you think this was useful, you may "mark it as an answer" to help those who are
    facing the same
    problem.***

Rey Cam, Oct 3, 2019
  3. carl43m Win User
    Horrible keystrok lag

I have a Dell Inspiron , Intel 5 , windows 10 , 6GB Ram. I have noticed over the past month or so that whenever I am in yahoo mail or if I am at any web site where I am typing in comments section, after 3 or 4 keystrokes there is major lag and dropped
    keystrokes. I notice that while I am doing this question there has not been one instance of a lag but if I go to any other web site or email everything goes into a nightmare mode with keystrokes. I also do not have the problem if I am in Word or Excel.
    I would think if I had a virus the keystroke problem would be everyplace not just on certain web sites or email.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Carl

carl43m, Oct 3, 2019
  4. tmartin32 Win User

When I click on the "Type here to search" field (lower left of screen) and start typing, the first letter is not received. Examples: otepad (Notepad), irefox (Firefox), etc. I'm using Windows 10 on a 2-in-1 tablet/keyboard (clickpad not touchscreen).

I have no interest in voice recognition. I am willing to turn off Cortana even if this search field is disabled. Is there a way to disable voice recognition? Will this also disable the search?

tmartin32, Oct 3, 2019
Thema:

1. Cortana Lag on Initial Keystroke - Similar Threads - Cortana Lag Initial

2. Wireless mouse lag and keyboards repeating keystrokes.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wireless mouse lag and keyboards repeating keystrokes.: I am using Logitech Wireless Keyboard and mouse combo. Months before I faced an issue with this, the mouse movement will be little slow kind of lagging, and when I press a letter in keyboard or combination of keys it repeats the strokes. Like if I attempt to type angular...
  3. Wireless mouse lag and keyboards repeating keystrokes.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wireless mouse lag and keyboards repeating keystrokes.: I am using Logitech Wireless Keyboard and mouse combo. Months before I faced an issue with this, the mouse movement will be little slow kind of lagging, and when I press a letter in keyboard or combination of keys it repeats the strokes. Like if I attempt to type angular...
  4. Wireless mouse lag and keyboards repeating keystrokes.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Keystrokes lagging, unless launch applications with elevated privileges

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Keystrokes lagging, unless launch applications with elevated privileges: Hi I have a new Windows 10 laptop (Lenovo Ideapad 720), logging in with an MS account (same account as my old Windows 10 laptop) I've run all the windows updates, and run a BIOS update from the manufacturer, and throughout that process I've had a massive lag on...
  6. Lagging Video and Cortana not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lagging Video and Cortana not working: I recently purchased a surface pro 6 (1 week old) and I'm running into two major issues. 1) When on Youtube or another site that plays video's, sometimes the video doesn't play properly and starts to stutter as if I'm playing it at 0.25x speed. The only way the issue...
  7. Keystrokes

Keystrokes: When I tap Uppercase 2, which according to the keyboard should give @, I get " Conversely when I tap Uppercase ', which according to the keyboard should give ", I get @. How can I fix this problem? (I am not aware of any other similar problems on my keyboard)....
  8. Keystroke Lag in Gmail.

in Browsers and Email
    Keystroke Lag in Gmail.: I am using new HP computer with W10 and am experiencing slow keystroke response when composing a message in Gmail. I did not encounter this problem with previous computers. Any ideas? 67811
  9. ELAN Touchpad lagging on initial touch

ELAN Touchpad lagging on initial touch: I just got the LG Gram 15 laptop. The ELAN touchpad delays/lags a bit when my finger first touches the pad. The mouse on the screen "jumps" a bit to compensate the delay. Seems like it is deliberately done to prevent accidental mouse movement upon click. But it is sooo...
  10. Cursor Blinks/Refreshes rapidly & keystroke lag

in Windows 10 Support
    Cursor Blinks/Refreshes rapidly & keystroke lag: When creating a new email, editing document, the cursor blinks so fast as if someone is pressing the f5 refresh key repeatedly. Another issue is lag time in typing. Even typing this new post, The characters don't show up as I type, but then eventually do. running:...