Windows 10: Cortana memory use

Discus and support Cortana memory use in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've searched TenForums and read TenForums Tutorial and ran Disable_Cortana along with turning off 100 switches. And Task Manager still reports... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bjm, Jul 17, 2016.

1. BJM
    bjm Win User

Cortana memory use

I've searched TenForums and read TenForums Tutorial and ran Disable_Cortana along with turning off 100 switches.
    And Task Manager still reports Cortana holding 75MB.
    I'm using the wrong search terms since "why does Cortana use memory" ain't getting me anywhere.
    What is Cortana doing. I understand I'm probably looking at Cortana Search UI since Cortana is toggled Off.
    What is holding 75MB when I'm not searching and even after I End task and cycle Task Manager.
    Cortana is back holding 75MB's.
    Is there a way to kill Cortana and still retain Search. Maybe, I've done that but, then why 75MB's...?

W10 may not be for me since I've turned off all the features regarding W10 marketing ecosystem.
    And Cortana bugs me holding too much memory.

Thanks

:)

2. How to disable Cortana, Edge and more 100% guaranteed!!!

On all my systems Cortana uses less than 50MB.

IJustHelping, Jul 17, 2016
  3. Cortana Memory Usage

Is it possible to disable Cortana's processes. I'm a gamer and getting lag due to lack of available memory. I went into task manager and noticed that Cortana is taking up approximately 1/4 of my memory. Here's the catch; i'm a "minor" and Cortana is unavailable
    for me. I do use search once in a while so hopefully there is an option do end Cortana's background processes and still have the ablility to use search when I need it.

SeanBarnwell, Jul 17, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

Cortana memory use

This sounds hokey but may work.

Is there a way to completely disable Cortana? - Windows 10 Forums

But for 75MB (mine sits at 39MB) is it really worth the effort? If it's not being used it gets swapped out anyway so the memory is really available for use by other programs if needed. You have 6GB so it's unlikely to be needed though.

Ztruker, Jul 17, 2016
  5. BJM
    bjm Win User
    Well, here's an odd happenstance. After posting. I manual toggled DWORD 0 to 1 to 0 and restarted. Now, Cortana is 32MB.
    I've bookmarked sounds "hokey" just in case.

6. BJM
    bjm Win User
    Just realized my odd happenstance. When I End Task, Cortana at >60MB. Cortana re-appears at >30MB. Guess, Cortana is coded to run background at >30MB. Thanks

7. LMiller7 Win User
    The memory usage of a process can vary widely, far more than you have noticed. It depends on how much memory is available and the requirements of it and other processes. This is all controlled by the system memory manager, not the process itself. If available memory is plentiful the memory manager will impose few limits on memory usage. This is as it should be. Memory was meant to be used, not sit idle. But if memory demands rise, such as running a large program, then the memory usage of other processes will be automatically trimmed back as necessary. This is all very complex, but usually works very well.

LMiller7, Jul 18, 2016
  8. BJM
    bjm Win User

Cortana memory use

Memory use is not my (main) focus with Cortana. I thought thru Cortana interface and reg tweaks that I had turned Cortana Off.
    I'm not privy to how Cortana and Search share memory. I imagined Search as discrete. Appears and please correct, that Search (Search riding in Cortana) is whats holding approx 30MB at assumed Cortana disabled. And with search activity Cortana holds approx 60MB. Again, I imagined Cortana and Search as discrete and I imagine my reg tweaks disabled Cortana. So, I was not expecting to see Cortana regardless of memory use in Task Manager. Thanks

9. Probe Win User
    She is a sneaky gal....hard to "break up" with.

Probe, Jul 19, 2016
  10. BJM
    bjm Win User
    Yes, sneaky and persistent. I've Off'd / disabled Cortana (Personal Assistant) thru interface, reg tweak and third party tool. Cortana Icon still rides as background process.
    So, darn Cortana Icon must be Search. I guess, maybe, head scratch.....

Thema:

Cortana memory use

1. Cortana memory use - Similar Threads - Cortana memory

2. How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?: Since I updated my computer, my Windows key doesn't work and any application related to the start menu don't work either. I've already reset, restarted multiple times, tried wsreset and cmd commands, and checked for game mode, and tried the Fn commands. This happened the last...
  3. How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?: Since I updated my computer, my Windows key doesn't work and any application related to the start menu don't work either. I've already reset, restarted multiple times, tried wsreset and cmd commands, and checked for game mode, and tried the Fn commands. This happened the last...
  4. How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. End of support for Cortana

in Windows 10 Gaming
    End of support for Cortana: While the decision to phase out Cortana may have disappointed some users, it's important to recognize that Microsoft is continually evolving its products to meet the changing needs of its customers. Here are some reasons why bringing back Cortana might still be...
  6. End of support for Cortana

End of support for Cortana: While the decision to phase out Cortana may have disappointed some users, it's important to recognize that Microsoft is continually evolving its products to meet the changing needs of its customers. Here are some reasons why bringing back Cortana might still be...
  7. Cortana Not Responding to Voice Commands

Cortana Not Responding to Voice Commands: Hello, I'm having trouble with Cortana on my Windows 10 computer. When I try to use voice commands, Cortana doesn't respond at all. I've checked my microphone settings and made sure that Cortana is enabled, but it still doesn't work. Is there a fix for this issue, or any...
  8. How can I see Cortana's status? It's running up my CPU and memory.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I see Cortana's status? It's running up my CPU and memory.: Is there anything I can run on the command line or in Settings to see what Cortana is doing right now? It has been using 50% CPU and 30% memory for a couple of hours, and I'd just like to know what's going on. I noticed it when my laptop's fans spun up (still going)....
  9. How Do I Cut Down the Memory Use by CORTANA?

How Do I Cut Down the Memory Use by CORTANA?: I'd like to cut down the memory used by Cortana, I don't like or use Cortana but find that it's using a large amount of memory on my computer (windows 10 HP). The memory is 63.3 MB. I'm reading an article in the newspaper where you can decrease that memory almost completely...
  10. Cortana disabled-still showing 38mb in Memory of Task Manager?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cortana disabled-still showing 38mb in Memory of Task Manager?: The title really says it all. I only have 2Gb of memory on my pc stick & I just rec'c a warning about my memory being stretched, so I disabled Cortana, (which I don't use anyway), but in the Memory column of the Task Manager it's still showing that 38Mb is being used. Why?...