Windows 10: Cortana not available on taskbar or in settings in user profile but are correct in new...

Discus and support Cortana not available on taskbar or in settings in user profile but are correct in new... in Cortana to solve the problem; Win 10 x64 fully up to date - Cortana missing from taskbar and settings although search was available on both. Many suggestions on internet to fix... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by John V Bowler, May 25, 2019.

1. Cortana not available on taskbar or in settings in user profile but are correct in new...

Win 10 x64 fully up to date - Cortana missing from taskbar and settings although search was available on both. Many suggestions on internet to fix including resetting Cortana etc. but none worked.

Creating a new profile showed that the problem was in my profile; a new clean profile had no fault. Exporting HKCU from the broken profile and importing the saved .reg file into the working clean profile broke the clean profile so the fault was something in the registry.

If merging from bad to good broke the good, would merging from good to bad fix the bad?

I did not simply want to create a new profile - hours of work configuring that. V. tedious.

I did not want to overwrite any more than necessary and I noticed most Cortana entries in HKCU were in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search. I exported these two keys from a new good profile and imported them into the broken profile. Success!! Cortana fixed on both the taskbar and in settings.

I have not attempted to further narrow down the offending keys.

:)

John V Bowler, May 25, 2019

2. Cortana and Location Settings

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

This issue may occur if location settings are not turned on for Cortana.

To turn on location settings for cortana, I suggest you to try these steps and check if it helps.

• Click on Start Button and type Location in the search.

• Open Location Privacy Settings.

• Under the option "choose apps that can use your location" check if Cortana is turned on.

• If not turn on and check if it helps.
    Also suggest you to check if similar issue persists on another user account.

Create another administrator user account by referring to

Set up accounts
    on Windows 10 article.

The corrupted user profile does not function normally such as not launching
    Start menu, Cortana, Search bar, Store and other
    Windows applications. In such cases creating a new profile and checking for the same will help in identifying if the is specific to corrupted user profile or the OS.

Write to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance.
    Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Nachappa C K, May 25, 2019
  3. Windows 10 can't load the user profile for a new user account

Hi Judy

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. .

I would suggest you to follow the method give below and check.

Method 1: I suggest you enter into safe mode and enable built-in administrator and check with the status of User profile service.

Step 1: Start computer in safe
    mode.

• Type Settings in the search box on the desktop, select
      Settings.

• Here select Change pc settings and then
      General.

• Scroll down to Advanced startup, click
      Restart now.

• Click on Troubleshoot, Advanced options, and Startup Settings.

• Click Restart, select Safe mode and then press
      Enter.

Step 2: Enable Built-in administrator.

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.

• Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open
        Command Prompt.

• Type the following command and hit Enter:

• net user administrator /active: yes
      (Check for the spaces)
    d. Now log off from the current user and try to login to the administrator account that is enabled.

Note: Please follow the same steps and type net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done.

Method 2: Try to create a new user account (Microsoft account) and check if you are able to access the content from your computer

Create a user account

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-10

Note: Create a Microsoft account

Method 3: Check the status of User profile services.

Steps:

• Press Windows + R to open Run command, type
      Services.msc and press Enter.
    • Search for User Profile Service, right click on it and
      start the service.
    • Also, set the Startup type to
      Automatic
    • Now check if you are able to log-in.

Hope this information is helpful. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Ashish Sondhi, May 25, 2019
  4. Cortana not available on taskbar or in settings in user profile but are correct in new...

Where did the settings option in Cortana's notebook go?

Hi Stefen,

Issues with missing options and features of Cortana are usually occurring due to damaged system files. For us to provide an effective resolution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• What changes have you made to your computer before this issue occurred?
    • Were you able to follow the troubleshooting steps in the link that Marvelos Reg provided?

For further troubleshooting, we suggest that you create a test user profile. This is for us to verify if the issue is isolated with one user profile or with multiple accounts.

To create a test user profile, follow these steps:

• Using Cortana search, type Settings and then hit the Enter key.
    • In the Settings window, select Accounts.
    • Select Family & other people.
    • Choose Add someone else to this PC.
    • Click I don't have this person's sign-in information.
    • Click Add a user without a Microsoft account.
    • Name the user as TEST and then provide a password.

Update us on the results.

Darleen Pen, May 25, 2019
Thema:

Cortana not available on taskbar or in settings in user profile but are correct in new...

1. Cortana not available on taskbar or in settings in user profile but are correct in new... - Similar Threads - Cortana available taskbar

2. New User Profile

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    New User Profile: My user profile linked to my Microsoft account appears to be corrupted.How can I create a new user profile linked to the same Microsoft account without removing the corrupted profile?Mohan...
  3. New User Profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New User Profile: My user profile linked to my Microsoft account appears to be corrupted.How can I create a new user profile linked to the same Microsoft account without removing the corrupted profile?Mohan...
  4. New User Profile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. WiFi Setting Not Available in Settings and Taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    WiFi Setting Not Available in Settings and Taskbar: Hi,I am facing an issue recently in which the WiFi is not showing up in the network and settings option on the taskbar. When I boot up my laptop , the WiFi gets connected but after sometime it just disappears automatically. Sometimes it comes back on its own, but mostly I...
  6. Moving all user settings (and installs?) to new profile

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving all user settings (and installs?) to new profile: Hi all, I recently changed my name and don't really want to see my deadname in every user file path, however I'm aware that the only way to really fix that is to create a whole new user and pass everything over to them, which is fine for general files, but I was wondering if...
  7. User Profile Sync Not Syncing Correctly

User Profile Sync Not Syncing Correctly: Every single time I restart my work computer it takes about 30 minutes to start back up again. It isn't until I log back into my user that the process takes nearly 30 minutes just to log on. Then once I am in, there are a TON of desktop icons that reappear (this happens each...
  8. User Profile Not Displayed In Settings

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    User Profile Not Displayed In Settings: I have a fresh install of Win10Pro and I'm having trouble with profiles. I can't turn off the log in step on startup (I've been through the process of turning it off, as seen in the image), and sometimes it shows a second profile with the same name (but without a profile...
  9. New user profile issue

New user profile issue: In my work we have a 1 desktop/laptop, that are connected to a domain, per user. In some cases someone has to sign on to another users PC. This is when the issue arises. As soon as another user logs on to the PC the windows search does not work, when you search for anything...
  10. Copy user profile and settings

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Copy user profile and settings: Ok everyone here is my problem. The original 1809 update caused my Xbox live to stop working on this profile only. I can get it working again if I create a new user profile but all my files and settings, etc. are under my old profile (windows/users/Mike). I would like to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cortana is not availble on taskbar