Windows 10: Cortana Not Listening

Discus and support Cortana Not Listening in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] So all of a sudden, Cortana can't wake up when I say "Cortana" went to check it out, and this popped up. I've tried all Diagnostics, they... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/AdityaA2004, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Cortana Not Listening

/u/AdityaA2004, Feb 7, 2020

2. CORTANA IN LISTEN MODE

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10!

What is the edition of Windows 10 (Home, Education, Pro etc.)?

I understand you have issues with Cortana in the Listen mode. If you have Windows 10 PRO installed in the system, then I would suggest you to try the following steps to change some group policy settings.

• Press Windows key + R, type
        Gpedit.msc
        and hit ENTER.

• Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search

• Check for: 'Allow Cortana' and 'Do not allow web search'
        – Make sure they are ‘Not Configured’ or set ‘Allow Cortana’ to Enabled and ‘Do not allow web search’ to Disabled

• Open an elevated command prompt and run:
        gpupdate /force

• Go to Settings > Verify and correct: Time, Region and Language

And, then go to Settings > Apps and Features > Manage optional features > Download Speech Recognition and Text-to-speech
    NOTE: The troubleshooting steps are only applicable to
    Windows 10 PRO

Let us know if the issue gets resolved using the troubleshooting steps.

Harkanwar Singh, Feb 7, 2020
  3. CORTANA IN LISTEN MODE

Actually Cortana never goes into listen mode, after pressing the mike icon there is no need to say Hey Cortana, just asking the question gets the answer. The issue is then that Cortana
    never goes into listen mode, all settings are correct.

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

AndrewHenry1147, Feb 7, 2020
  4. Cortana Not Listening

Cortana keypressede listening

I don't know about the Windows key on its own, but according to this - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12445/windows-keyboard-shortcuts (
    Windows 10 option )
    pressing the [Windows key} and [C] together should open Cortana in listening mode:

Windows logo key + C

Open Cortana in listening mode

Notes
    • This shortcut is turned off by default. To turn it on, open Cortana from the search box on the taskbar, then select Settings . Turn on the toggle under Let Cortana listen for my commands when I press the Windows logo key +
      C.
    • Cortana is available only in certain countries/regions, and some Cortana features might not be available everywhere. If Cortana isn't available or is turned off, you can still use search.

Document claims to be updated in May 2017, so not sure what build it refers to though.

George222(2), Feb 7, 2020
Thema:

Cortana Not Listening

1. Cortana Not Listening - Similar Threads - Cortana Listening

2. Cortana randomly starts listening

in Cortana
    Cortana randomly starts listening: So I have a Windows 10 HP laptop with an integrated microphone and camera. I will frequently leave my laptop open with the screen on so I can quickly reply to messages. Well my laptop is in this state Cortana will randomly activate and listen for maybe a second or two before...
  3. Unable to make Cortana listen to my voice and unable to make Cortana listen to “Hey Cortana”

in Cortana
    Unable to make Cortana listen to my voice and unable to make Cortana listen to “Hey Cortana”: Hello community, I am having trouble with Cortana on my laptop because it doesn’t let me use my voice to control Cortana. I have been trying my best with Cortana’s settings and it says to adjist cloud settings. Please help me....
  4. I just deleted cortana, while listening to everyday bro.

in Cortana
    I just deleted cortana, while listening to everyday bro.: You shouldn't have tried to stop me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-just-deleted-cortana-while-listening-to-everyday/147951c1-df51-43bc-b73c-600a22bee18a
  5. I just deleted cortana, while listening to everyday bro.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I just deleted cortana, while listening to everyday bro.: You shouldn't have tried to stop me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/i-just-deleted-cortana-while-listening-to-everyday/147951c1-df51-43bc-b73c-600a22bee18a
  6. Cortana not listening when I say 'Hey Cortana'

in Cortana
    Cortana not listening when I say 'Hey Cortana': Since the past few days Cortana on my device is not listening when I say 'Hey Cortana'. I have checked all the microphone settings and all the required permissions to Cortana are been given. I went on to check the Cortana settings and under the ' Talk to Cortana ' option I...
  7. Cortana stops listening

in Cortana
    Cortana stops listening: Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron laptop with Windows 10 64 bit. All Windows updates are in place. Problem is that Cortana stops listening after a fraction of a second and says that she did not hear anything. Microphone works OK with Zoom and other programs. Regards, Barry...
  8. Why Cortana not listen to me?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why Cortana not listen to me?: I try to say something to her but she doesn't listen to me, help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cortana-not-listen-to-me/9c96098a-f72b-4316-bc3e-40fa3326e28e
  9. Cortana Hangs While Listening (Does not respond)

in Cortana
    Cortana Hangs While Listening (Does not respond): [ATTACH] Cortana simply hangs when in this screen (when it is supposed to listen to me). This screen can be opened by clicking the Cortana icon on the taskbar or by saying 'Hey Cortana'. Cortana is not able to listen to anything I say. This screen simply closes after being...
  10. Cortana Hangs While Listening

in Cortana
    Cortana Hangs While Listening: [ATTACH] Cortana simply hangs when in this screen (when it is supposed to listen to me). This screen can be opened by clicking the Cortana icon on the taskbar or by saying 'Hey Cortana'. Cortana is not able to listen to anything I say. This screen simply closes after being...