Windows 10: Cortana not recognizing speech

Discus and support Cortana not recognizing speech in Cortana to solve the problem; Almost two months ago I did a reset of my laptop as I forgot the windows password I created a year prior and could never login to my account. I solved... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by TheNoxidLP, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Cortana not recognizing speech

Almost two months ago I did a reset of my laptop as I forgot the windows password I created a year prior and could never login to my account. I solved that problem by creating a new account, and everything was working fine. I used Cortana a handful of times and speech was always recognized. I have a 15.6" gaming laptop Acer Nitro 5 and use an external 27" Samsung monitor for my display My setup consists of my external monitor hooked up to my laptop, and an iMac, and not having that much room, my laptop is always closed and have had no problems prior to now when it comes to Cortana recognizing what I say. Has anyone else had a problem similar to this? And if so, how do I get this fixed? When I've used Cortana before now, my laptop was closed as I use my external display and have had no problems so I'm not quite sure what could be causing this. Yes, I have the latest update for 20H2.

Thanks in advance!

:)

TheNoxidLP, Feb 28, 2021
  2. Paolo Mag Win User

Cortana failure to recognize speech on first attempt.

Hi,

One reason why Cortana won't recognize your speech like the speaker driver of your device is not up-to-date. For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• What's the make and model of your Windows 10 device?
    • Were there any changes on your device before this happened like software or update installed?

For initial troubleshooting, we recommend that you visit this
    article
    . From there, you'll see the necessary troubleshooting steps to resolve any issues with Cortana.

We're looking forward to your response.

Paolo Mag, Feb 28, 2021
  3. Cortana Speech Problem

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. I will certainly help you with this.

Please make sure your Country or Region, Language, and
    Speech Language settings are all aligned with one of Cortana’s supported locale configurations.  If these OS settings are not aligned, Cortana will not be available in proper language. For example, Cortana will not work properly
    if your country is set to United States, but the Windows display language is set to English (United Kingdom).

I suggest you to try to turn Cortana off and then try turning it on back and check. Refer to the steps below to turn Off and On Cortana:

• Open Cortana.
    • Click the hamburger button in the top left of the window.
    • Go to Settings and click on off.
    • Follow the same steps to turn it on.
    • Check if issue persists.
    I suggest you to refer to the steps and settings given in below discussion thread by
    Sharath Srinivasa and confirm that your system is configure in same settings:

Why is Cortana not available for me on Windows 10?

Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Feb 28, 2021
  4. Cortana not recognizing speech

Cortana speech language?

Hi Oliver,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are happy to help you.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to check the language and speech settings in Cortana.

• Press Windows + I keys on the keyboard to open settings menu.
    • Click on Time and language and select region and language.
    • Under Language option, check which language is Set as default.
    • If you find different language, you can change it by clicking on Add a language option.
    • Select your preferred language (English UK) and click on
      Set as default
      under English UK language.
    • Now, click on English UK and click on Options.
    • Download the language, handwriting and speech packs.
    • Now, click on Speech from the Time and language settings menu.
    • Check if you are able to select the speech settings to English UK.
    • After performing above steps, check if you are able to use Cortana.
    Reference: Refer to the following Microsoft article on
    Cortana & search.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/cortana-search

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Feb 28, 2021
Thema:

Cortana not recognizing speech

1. Cortana not recognizing speech - Similar Threads - Cortana recognizing speech

2. Speech Recognition is not available but Cortana is

in Cortana
    Speech Recognition is not available but Cortana is: I made every changes to use speech recognition. I changed region to US, timezone to US, keyboard to English, language to US English. Even my cortana is working. It can hear me and answer me. I tried troubleshooting and it said it can hear me and everything is fine. But...
  3. Speech Recognition is not available but Cortana is

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Speech Recognition is not available but Cortana is: I made every changes to use speech recognition. I changed region to US, timezone to US, keyboard to English, language to US English. Even my cortana is working. It can hear me and answer me. I tried troubleshooting and it said it can hear me and everything is fine. But...
  4. Speech Recognition is not available but Cortana is

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cortana vs. Speech Recognition

in Cortana
    Cortana vs. Speech Recognition: Aren't - Cortana- Speech Recognition"Overlapped"?Both are WSR execute commands defined in Windows environment.- What are the differences between the two- Does each one has its own SRA speech recognition algorithmsMy suspicion is that Cortana brought-in to match other products...
  6. How to slow Cortana speech?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to slow Cortana speech?: How do I slow down cortana's speech rate? She's talking just a bit too fast for my ears. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-slow-cortana-speech/2d1123d9-3e8a-4daf-8500-ae88f24ea1f5
  7. Microphone Speech is not recognized?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphone Speech is not recognized?: Hi, I have In Ear headphones from JBL. In the past everything worked out great and I was able to use the microphone of my headphones. Since a while it is not possible anymore. It is indicated that a microphone is recognized but when I say something he does not recognize that...
  8. cortana has speech packages to load

in Cortana
    cortana has speech packages to load: I keep getting "cortana has speech packages to load" messages when I try to use. cannot find any evidence of anything loading, nor can I find what the hell the message is talking about...
  9. Remove Cortana Speech Mode

in Cortana
    Remove Cortana Speech Mode: Updated to windows 10 version 1903 and was surprised to find that Cortana was in speaking mode. Everything I have tried does not get me back to just opening Cortana and typing. She hasn't understood a single thing I've said so I just want to shut her up. Any help?...
  10. Speech Recognition and Cortana.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Speech Recognition and Cortana.: No you can not help me. I have had help over the years But help has made no diffrents. stop right there not my pc I have had lots of pcs over the years and its the same. For years you send out all kinds of updates and still cannot get your Speech Recognition **** to work 1/2...