Windows 10: Cortana not working

Discus and support Cortana not working in Cortana to solve the problem; My Windows 10 was upgraded as of Feb 15th and I lost the microphone in the search box and Cortana will not function. If I say "Hey Cortana", I get a... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by RickWeatherhead, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Cortana not working

My Windows 10 was upgraded as of Feb 15th and I lost the microphone in the search box and Cortana will not function. If I say "Hey Cortana", I get a "listening" response window but nothing more happens. What gives? Microphone and audio are working fine and so is my language package for Canada.

***Original Title: Cortana Microphone & Functionality dissapeared in latest Win 10 upgrade??***

:)

RickWeatherhead, Feb 18, 2020

2. Cortana not working

Hi,

Just to ensure that the settings are configured correctly, please try the steps below.

This issue may occur if location settings are not turned on for Cortana.

To turn on location settings for Cortana, I suggest you to try these steps and check if it helps.

• Click on Start Button and type Location in the search.

• Open Location Privacy Settings.

• Under the option "choose apps that can use your location" check if Cortana is turned on.

• If not turn on and check if it helps.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Joy Kemprai, Feb 18, 2020
  3. Cortana

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

This issue can occur if some of the system files are not working as expected.

Suggest you to follow the steps from this article to
    troubleshoot Cortana on the PC

Note: Do not go with the ‘Reset PC’ option for now.

Method 1: Follow these steps to disable Cortana:

1. Sign-in to the PC with your Microsoft account.
    2. In the search box at the bottom, type Disable Cortana.
    3. Once the suggestions appear in the list, click Cortana & Search settings.
    4. From the right section of the Settings pane, move the top button to ‘Off’ to disable Cortana from Windows 10.

Method 2: Follow these steps to check if that helps.

1. Launch Cortana from the search bar on the taskbar.
    2. Then, from the left pane click the settings button.
    3. Under "Cortana" (the first option) and slide the pill switch to the ‘Off’ position.

Method 3: Launch the Settings app and click on Privacy. Navigate to Speech, inking, & typing, and click Stop getting to know me. These steps will disable Cortana.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Feb 18, 2020
  4. Cortana not working

Microphone not working with Cortana

Hi,

I appreciate you for providing detail of the issue.

I suggest you to try below steps and check if it helps.

• Type Cortana & Search settings.
    • Slide the slider to On in Hey Cortana.
    Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Ashwin V S, Feb 18, 2020
Thema:

Cortana not working

1. Cortana not working - Similar Threads - Cortana working

2. Cortana not working with IFTTT

in Cortana
    Cortana not working with IFTTT: I am trying to connect IFTTT to Cortana on my windows 10 computer, but whenever I try to tell Cortana to trigger an applet, it just says "Sorry, I can't help with that". After several days I tried downloading Cortana to my iPhone and it worked. How do I get Cortana on my...
  3. Microphone not working, only works with cortana

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microphone not working, only works with cortana: For some stupid reason my microphone is being detected, works perfectly fine, but literally every application other than cortana does not work. Before you ask, yes I have enabled apps to use my microphone. Windows has detected no issues with it, and it says everything is...
  4. Windows key, windows icon, cortana, start page, search in explorer, NONE OF THEM WORKS!!

in Cortana
    Windows key, windows icon, cortana, start page, search in explorer, NONE OF THEM WORKS!!: Windows key, windows icon, cortana, start page, search in explorer, right-click on opened-applications icon, NONE OF THEM WORKS!! please, please help! I did: powershell issues, search index trouble shouting, ...., nothing changed, got tired and disappointed! Thanks!...
  5. Cortana not working.

in Cortana
    Cortana not working.: Hi, Today 7th oct 2020, I updated windows 10 feature updated version 2004. After updating and restarting while I tried to open cortana, It shows me following error message. [ATTACH]...
  6. Cortana and File Explorer search not working!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cortana and File Explorer search not working!: I'm running windows 10 with latest update (KB4566782). Both Cortana and File Explorer search won't open. I tried the Microsoft powershell script to reset cortana, uninstall update, reinstalling cortana, all services seems to be running correctly. What else could it be?...
  7. Search Box not working and Cortana is missing

in Cortana
    Search Box not working and Cortana is missing: My search boxes do not work in Windows 10. I think I caused it by deleting Cortana. I went to the Microsoft Store to try and install the app but all I get after the install is a window that says "Thank for your interest" I saw on a previous post a way to reinstall Cortana...
  8. cortana does not work as in the past.

in Cortana
    cortana does not work as in the past.: i had work done on my computer and since then i only get a little bit of cortana. not much knowledge. she used to know everything. help! I don't know how to get the better version of Cortana back . * Moved from Bing...
  9. Cortana is not working

in Cortana
    Cortana is not working: The problem occurred after Windows 10 update. Currently Cortana is not working. When I am trying to give instructions, it is silent. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-is-not-working/afe9f046-9c48-41f0-9b8c-4df4e2705b28
  10. Cortana/Windows Explorer search does not work?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cortana/Windows Explorer search does not work?: Since about 1 week I have the problem that I cannot use the search in Windows Explorer. I just press on it and I can't type any text and the I sign doesn't appear on what I am allowed to type. The same problem with Cortana. I would be glad about help. Thanks Cortana/Windows...