Windows 10: cortana on new computer

Discus and support cortana on new computer in Cortana to solve the problem; My current computer has win 10, and the search box says "type here to search." I remember it took me quite a bit to get away from the voice commands... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by MysticTuba, Aug 24, 2019.

1. cortana on new computer

My current computer has win 10, and the search box says "type here to search." I remember it took me quite a bit to get away from the voice commands but do not remember how it was done. I do not want Cortana listening to what I say to my cat; I want only what I have on this computer (new one is currently being set up) which is "Type here to search" in the task bar. How do I get that on my new Win10 laptop?

:)

MysticTuba, Aug 24, 2019
  2. Dewdrop_ Win User

Cortana Notebook

In order to enable the Notebook icon in Cortana, I suggest you to check if you have enabled Cortana.

To enable Cortana, please follow the steps below:

• Go to Cortana.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Turn on “Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts”.

Hope this helps.

Dewdrop_, Aug 24, 2019
  3. Cortana

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

This issue can occur if some of the system files are not working as expected.

Suggest you to follow the steps from this article to
    troubleshoot Cortana on the PC

Note: Do not go with the ‘Reset PC’ option for now.

Method 1: Follow these steps to disable Cortana:

1. Sign-in to the PC with your Microsoft account.
    2. In the search box at the bottom, type Disable Cortana.
    3. Once the suggestions appear in the list, click Cortana & Search settings.
    4. From the right section of the Settings pane, move the top button to ‘Off’ to disable Cortana from Windows 10.

Method 2: Follow these steps to check if that helps.

1. Launch Cortana from the search bar on the taskbar.
    2. Then, from the left pane click the settings button.
    3. Under "Cortana" (the first option) and slide the pill switch to the ‘Off’ position.

Method 3: Launch the Settings app and click on Privacy. Navigate to Speech, inking, & typing, and click Stop getting to know me. These steps will disable Cortana.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Aug 24, 2019
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

cortana on new computer

Cortana's bug

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Cortana might have been hidden, you can enable Cortana by following the below mentioned steps:

1. Right click on the taskbar and click on Cortana.
    2. Select the option Show search box or Show Cortana icon.

However, you can follow the troubleshooting steps from
    Troubleshoot problems with the Start menu or Cortana

NOTE: The last step in the article mentioned is to Reset the PC. Resetting the PC will remove the data and programs/applications installed on the computer. We suggest you to take a data backup if you want to reset the PC.

If the above steps didn’t help you fix the problem, reply to the following questions:

• Since when are you facing this issue?
    • Have you made any changes to the computer recently?

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Nikhar_K, Aug 24, 2019
Thema:

cortana on new computer

1. cortana on new computer - Similar Threads - cortana computer

2. why doesn't cortana speak on my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why doesn't cortana speak on my computer: Cortana not speaking . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-doesnt-cortana-speak-on-my-computer/b700dd2b-ac1c-4a29-a2c0-3888bff86053
  3. why doesn't cortana speak on my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why doesn't cortana speak on my computer: Cortana not speaking . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-doesnt-cortana-speak-on-my-computer/b700dd2b-ac1c-4a29-a2c0-3888bff86053
  4. How to Shutdown your Computer with Cortana...!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to Shutdown your Computer with Cortana...!: Now Cortana can Shutdown your PC in a more Complex way...!Earlier, there was a problem with Cortana, that she can't Shutdown the Computer, but now I fixed it...! Watch my YouTube Video to see how to do it...! This is the link = https://youtu.be/r-UuVDx6AW8 ...!...
  5. Cortana can no longer sleep/shut down the computer 2021

in Cortana
    Cortana can no longer sleep/shut down the computer 2021: After the most recent Windows update, Cortana no longer logs off/shuts down my computer when I tell it to "go to sleep" or "turn off the computer". Instead, it searches for these terms on Bing. Did Cortana change in the update? I really liked the sleep/shutdown feature so I...
  6. I took my new Acer computer out of the box. Plugged it in. And Cortana will not get past my...

in Cortana
    I took my new Acer computer out of the box. Plugged it in. And Cortana will not get past my...: Brand new Acer computer - Cortana is 100% in control. I put in my information, but Cortana did not except my birthdate. It is stuck there. How do I set this up without Cortana? I have to exit Cortana somehow....
  7. Cortana crashing my computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cortana crashing my computer: I opened cortana by accident and it crashed my computer and I don’t know what to do because it is not starting. (Picture in the comments) submitted by /u/Blitzwing33 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l9x3j4/cortana_crashing_my_computer/
  8. Cortana doesn't respond to some commands on my computer. Also it is missing some features. Why?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana doesn't respond to some commands on my computer. Also it is missing some features. Why?: I was so happy when I started Cortana for the first time. But I was dissapointed quickly, because it is missing A LOT of features that normal Cortana has. For example, it doesn't have that taskbar on the left or the function to learn the voice, also some commands, like...
  9. So like for some reason cortana is different on other people's computers but on mine its...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    So like for some reason cortana is different on other people's computers but on mine its...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Creeperguy7777 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ken03k/so_like_for_some_reason_cortana_is_different_on/
  10. Trying to setup Cortana on new computer won't login to MS account

in Cortana
    Trying to setup Cortana on new computer won't login to MS account: I click cortana page come up to sign in to Cortana I click Sign in, pick my MS account then continue and I get "Something went wrong Please try again later 0x8007052e. Send feedback....