Windows 10: Cortana opens locally stored OneDrive files in OneDrive website instead of app

Discus and support Cortana opens locally stored OneDrive files in OneDrive website instead of app in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I search for a file in Cortana that I have stored in OneDrive and stored locally on my computer it REFUSES to open the locally stored file in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Lin#, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Lin# Win User

Cortana opens locally stored OneDrive files in OneDrive website instead of app

When I search for a file in Cortana that I have stored in OneDrive and stored locally on my computer it REFUSES to open the locally stored file in the default app and instead opens it in the garbage OneDrive website in my browser!

For instance, I have a collection of PDFs that I reference often and I have my default app for PDFs set to Edge. Instead of it opening the PDF file from my D:\ drive, it opens the OneDrive file. Cortana and the search bar are now functionally useless.

Absolutely infuriating, I did nothing to provoke this change, and what's worse is that I can see posts about this issue from as far back as 2015 with NO SOLUTION. Get it together!!

:)

Lin#, Dec 9, 2019

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Dec 9, 2019
  3. Freezer Win User
    Windows 10 - OneDrive

This is Windows 10 Pro... Enterprise is an entirely different deal and I'm sure I won't have problems that route, but I'm not forking over more $ to dipshit developers. The only thing I can think of is un-linking my Office 365 accounts within Office, but that defeats the purpose of accessing the files ONLINE and managing them from there. I have two alumni accounts, not a single problem in Windows 7/8 until M$shit devs decided to integrate Onedrive. I've deleted, renamed, set read-only to "msosync.exe," ... but windows continues to add it again and again, and NOW I just noticed it's now linking to groove.exe, instead of onedrive. Sooo fn annoying!

Onedrive on Windows 10 is not an 'app' it is integrated. Plus I don't fool around with the Windows Store thoughtless developer child bullshit. Windows Store ought to be completely removed from the Windows platform all together. Also I do not intend to completely remove Onedrive, it defeats the purpose... the purpose is to REMOVE it from Windows Explorer navigation and startup.

Freezer, Dec 9, 2019
  4. Easo Win User

Windows 10 - OneDrive

Can we have rant-less version, please?

Easo, Dec 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Cortana opens locally stored OneDrive files in OneDrive website instead of app - Similar Threads - Cortana opens locally

2. OneDrive files not opening

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive files not opening: I cannot open or save files to OneDrive and error code 0x80070194 is showing. Can you advise me how to fix please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-files-not-opening/febd7172-d902-4142-8f06-3ba8d8c675e4"
  3. Windows Search for documents should be opened locally instead on OneDrive

in Cortana
    Windows Search for documents should be opened locally instead on OneDrive: Dear Community, when I use the Windows-Button to search for e.g. Word or PDF documents, Edge is opened with a OneDrive link. The website tells me that the file is not available. Is it possible to open the file locally in the Explorer? Thank you very much for the answer!...
  4. OneDrive vs. Local Disk Files

in Windows 10 Customization
    OneDrive vs. Local Disk Files: Hey Community, I am relatively new to using OneDrive. I have a Windows 10 machine and would like to store some files locally and some on OneDrive. I want to use OneDrive primarily for sharing files with others. I have a large number of local files (primarily images from my...
  5. File History Backup and Local OneDrive Files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History Backup and Local OneDrive Files: I know there have been a number of posts about issues with File History Backup. File History is a nice feature in Windows 10. It serves as a file backup system as well as a convenient way to restore files to previous versions through the File Explorer. I hope Microsoft...
  6. Opening an app opens the app store instead.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Opening an app opens the app store instead.: I am trying to open an app that I have on xbox ultimate but when I click on the app it opens the app store instead on the gaming services page. I have tried reinstalling gaming services. This appears to be intermittent as it's happened before and a couple of restarts...
  7. How to find local files in OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to find local files in OneDrive: My problem is that I have set OneDrive to free up space automatically but the problem is that if I sync something into a subfolder somewhere on my OneDrive all the folders to and including that folder will show the blue icon but going into that folder will show me green...
  8. Indexing local files and files stored on OneDrive for Business

in Cortana
    Indexing local files and files stored on OneDrive for Business: Hello, I am wondering if anybody knows of the roadmap for searching 1) local files and of 2) files stored on OneDrive for Business. I am a researcher and have hundreds of PDF documents stored locally but can't seem to get a good index of them built using native Windows...
  9. Onedrive local files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Onedrive local files: All of my Onedrive folders/files are set to "read-only". I went to properties on the Onedrive folder and cleared the checkmark on the read-only box. Applied the change to all floders/files. It appeared to go through all of them, but when I looked at any of the files they...
  10. OneDrive and local account

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive and local account: Can OneDrive be used with a local account? I Know I would have to login with a MS account but can this be done from a local account? 23393