Windows 10: Cortana opens then closes after a brief listening message since the last update.

Discus and support Cortana opens then closes after a brief listening message since the last update. in Cortana to solve the problem; Since your last mandatory update (which I hate, I have an Apple on order can't wait). Cortana opens then says listening for about .5 seconds. Then it... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by TNTRenegadeInTN, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Cortana opens then closes after a brief listening message since the last update.

Since your last mandatory update (which I hate, I have an Apple on order can't wait). Cortana opens then says listening for about .5 seconds. Then it promptly closes. Doesn't matter whether its by saying "Hey Cortana" or windows+c. Last time this happened there was another update right after that seemed to correct the issue. I checked updates and there are none available. I have made no changes to anything other than uninstall Chrome. I ran the mic setup troubleshooter several times to no avail.

:)

TNTRenegadeInTN, Jan 12, 2019

2. CORTANA IN LISTEN MODE

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10!

What is the edition of Windows 10 (Home, Education, Pro etc.)?

I understand you have issues with Cortana in the Listen mode. If you have Windows 10 PRO installed in the system, then I would suggest you to try the following steps to change some group policy settings.

• Press Windows key + R, type
        Gpedit.msc
        and hit ENTER.

• Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search

• Check for: 'Allow Cortana' and 'Do not allow web search'
        – Make sure they are ‘Not Configured’ or set ‘Allow Cortana’ to Enabled and ‘Do not allow web search’ to Disabled

• Open an elevated command prompt and run:
        gpupdate /force

• Go to Settings > Verify and correct: Time, Region and Language

And, then go to Settings > Apps and Features > Manage optional features > Download Speech Recognition and Text-to-speech
    NOTE: The troubleshooting steps are only applicable to
    Windows 10 PRO

Let us know if the issue gets resolved using the troubleshooting steps.

Harkanwar Singh, Jan 12, 2019
  3. Cortana keypressede listening

I don't know about the Windows key on its own, but according to this - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12445/windows-keyboard-shortcuts (
    Windows 10 option )
    pressing the [Windows key} and [C] together should open Cortana in listening mode:

Windows logo key + C

Open Cortana in listening mode

Notes
    • This shortcut is turned off by default. To turn it on, open Cortana from the search box on the taskbar, then select Settings . Turn on the toggle under Let Cortana listen for my commands when I press the Windows logo key +
      C.
    • Cortana is available only in certain countries/regions, and some Cortana features might not be available everywhere. If Cortana isn't available or is turned off, you can still use search.

Document claims to be updated in May 2017, so not sure what build it refers to though.

George222(2), Jan 12, 2019
  4. Cortana opens then closes after a brief listening message since the last update.

Cortana opening and closing straight away following October Update

Thank you for your response i followed your steps to re load Cortana step by step and it still continues to do the same thing of opening and then closing straightaway

Kenneth Ismail, Jan 12, 2019
Thema:

Cortana opens then closes after a brief listening message since the last update.

1. Cortana opens then closes after a brief listening message since the last update. - Similar Threads - Cortana opens closes

2. Cortana Briefings

in Cortana
    Cortana Briefings: Hello, I have an end user that received a Cortana briefing that involved a task from a supervisor. The original email never reached the users inbox, they are only able to access the email from the Cortana brief. Is this a setting that can be disabled or something that is...
  3. cortana wont open since last windows update

in Cortana
    cortana wont open since last windows update: since last update cortana does not work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-wont-open-since-last-windows-update/e6bcdf4f-6ff0-4644-b013-4b153a57eb4c
  4. Games open for a brief second, and then close.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Games open for a brief second, and then close.: I have tried opening a game from my windows 10 computer multiple times only for it to close as soon as it opens. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/games-open-for-a-brief-second-and-then-close/75e1c438-ae85-4b75-a4e1-64142c30d6d7
  5. cortana not working after last update

in Cortana
    cortana not working after last update: Help I'm new at this. Cortana was working fine until last update feb. 17. Now I can't get anything except Cortana asking permission to get familiar with the way I talk. When I hit the "sure" button I get "I'm sorry something went wrong. Try again in a little bit. Same thing...
  6. Cortana Not Listening

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cortana Not Listening: [ATTACH] So all of a sudden, Cortana can't wake up when I say "Cortana" went to check it out, and this popped up. I've tried all Diagnostics, they just keep loading.... pls help. Oh, and my laptops microphone array works just fine when I click to open Cortana and click the...
  7. Cortana opens then closes after update 1903

in Cortana
    Cortana opens then closes after update 1903: Hello. I have updated my Windows 10 Pro to 1903. Now Cortana will open with "Hey Cortana" but then hears nothing further and closes. I have gone through the troubleshooter and confirmed my microphone is working and that I am using the correct language pack English...
  8. Apps not opening since last update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps not opening since last update: Multiple apps have since last update flash opened and closed. Reset Windows did not work. Seems like this has been going on for a while without a fix from Microsoft. When will we get a fix from Microsoft? Version 1809 OS Build 17763.404...
  9. Cortana Listening Mode not working after Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana Listening Mode not working after Anniversary Update: So I recently got the anniversary update and notice that now Win-C no longer opens Cortana in listening mode. Does anyone else notice this? Is there a way to get it back? Thanks! 59489
  10. Since last update

in Windows 10 Support
    Since last update: Since this little update on 2nd Dec Bing now has sound on home page and headline photo appear across the bottom. When you click on the photo it takes you to the subject to read. So well done Microsoft. Has anyone else found or seen it 32538

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Cortana opens then closes

2. cortana closes

3. cortana closes after i open it

4. windows phone Cortana closes,
  5. cortana opens and closes,
  6. cortana window closes,
  7. cortana opens then closes on pc,
  8. cortana pops after command but wont listen after,
  9. cortana closes after opening,
  10. cortana closes when listening,
  11. cortana closes after hearing,