Windows 10: Cortana randomly appearing

Discus and support Cortana randomly appearing in Cortana to solve the problem; Hi all! So my problem is, that since yestarday 2020.12.27. whenever I use alt+tab or start+tab to change between windows a Cortana window is shown,... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by MyName420, Dec 28, 2020.

1. MyName420 Win User

Cortana randomly appearing

Hi all!

So my problem is, that since yestarday 2020.12.27. whenever I use alt+tab or start+tab to change between windows a Cortana window is shown, when I click on it it just says that it's not available in my region which is fine, I don't want to use it anyways. So I just go ahead and close the window, why would I want something running, which I don't want to and can't use, and next time I want to switch windows with the aforementioned methods it's there again. Cortana is disabled in my settings, and I've checked it's also disabled on the list of startup applications, so it really shouldn't appear at all. When I close it with task manager it's gone, which is nice, but I really don't need an application, which I don't want, to pop up every time I start my PC and I usually just hybernate it, so it's not really a true startup, and having to open the task manager just to close it.

Is it some random occurence and I just got unlucky, or is it because of an update even though I don't recall my PC notifying me to update in the last few days? I really don't care which, but please help me out if it happened to you, and you could solve it, or please try to fix it or tell those who are responsible for fixing it if you're from Microsoft.

Thanks in advance:

A Windows 10 user

:)

MyName420, Dec 28, 2020

2. Cortana

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

This issue can occur if some of the system files are not working as expected.

Suggest you to follow the steps from this article to
    troubleshoot Cortana on the PC

Note: Do not go with the ‘Reset PC’ option for now.

Method 1: Follow these steps to disable Cortana:

1. Sign-in to the PC with your Microsoft account.
    2. In the search box at the bottom, type Disable Cortana.
    3. Once the suggestions appear in the list, click Cortana & Search settings.
    4. From the right section of the Settings pane, move the top button to ‘Off’ to disable Cortana from Windows 10.

Method 2: Follow these steps to check if that helps.

1. Launch Cortana from the search bar on the taskbar.
    2. Then, from the left pane click the settings button.
    3. Under "Cortana" (the first option) and slide the pill switch to the ‘Off’ position.

Method 3: Launch the Settings app and click on Privacy. Navigate to Speech, inking, & typing, and click Stop getting to know me. These steps will disable Cortana.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Dec 28, 2020
  3. Cortana Note Book Icon Not Appearing

Hi Adnan,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10. 

I understand the inconvenience that you are facing on Windows 10, we will certainly help you with this issue.  

1. Are you unable to turn on cortana?

2. From when is the issue persisting?

In order to enable the Notebook icon in Cortana, I suggest you to check if you have enabled
    Cortana. To enable Cortana, please follow the steps below:

• Go to Cortana.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Turn on “Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts”.

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have any further related query.

Thank you.

Amarjeet_Paul, Dec 28, 2020
  4. Dewdrop_ Win User

Cortana Notebook

In order to enable the Notebook icon in Cortana, I suggest you to check if you have enabled Cortana.

To enable Cortana, please follow the steps below:

• Go to Cortana.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Turn on “Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts”.

Hope this helps.

Dewdrop_, Dec 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Cortana randomly appearing - Similar Threads - Cortana randomly appearing

2. PowerShell appears randomly.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PowerShell appears randomly.: PowerShell appears randomly, and it's not one window, it is' 2, and after several minutes from appearing, both of them take too much RAM. So, is that normal for this to happen or that's a problem or virus? And what happens if I uninstalled it from the computer? Is that...
  3. BSOD appears randomly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD appears randomly: Hello, I was running a game on my windows 10, when suddenly it crashed and I got a bsod. ever since, I will get a bsod seemingly randomly without running any programme or game. it could be in a few minutes or a couple of hours after I turn my device on. Sometimes I can boot...
  4. BSOD appears randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD appears randomly: Hello, I was running a game on my windows 10, when suddenly it crashed and I got a bsod. ever since, I will get a bsod seemingly randomly without running any programme or game. it could be in a few minutes or a couple of hours after I turn my device on. Sometimes I can boot...
  5. BSOD appearing randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD appearing randomly: Hi everyone, i'm coming to you hoping that you would be able to give he some advice regarding some BSOD that a friend has been receiving randomly on his computer; the configuration is as follows:Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus B360M Gaming 3 with F15 bios versionCPU: Intel i5...
  6. Random keyboard appear

in Windows 10 Customization
    Random keyboard appear: The language I am using is English UK with US keyboard but over the time, windows add United States International keyboard and English Malaysia. I'm staying in Malaysia but the region is set to UK and there are no other devices connect to my Microsoft account to change my...
  7. Cortana randomly starts listening

in Cortana
    Cortana randomly starts listening: So I have a Windows 10 HP laptop with an integrated microphone and camera. I will frequently leave my laptop open with the screen on so I can quickly reply to messages. Well my laptop is in this state Cortana will randomly activate and listen for maybe a second or two before...
  8. Cortana Not Appearing

in Cortana
    Cortana Not Appearing: I recently got a Surface Laptop/Tablet for college. I'm trying to set-up Cortana but I don't see the little house nor notebook anywhere. Cortana will activate through the virtual agent, but I can't seem to find or open Cortana myself. I'm not sure what else to do here....
  9. 1903 Settings Appearance - Cortana Delayed

in Windows 10 Customization
    1903 Settings Appearance - Cortana Delayed: I just did a fresh install on 1903 (on 3 different machines) and each machine displays the same result. I go into Settings and it goes from “Ease of Access” to “Search” and then 2 seconds later “Cortana” displays between those two items. It happens every single time I open...
  10. Cortana Reminders Aren't Appearing

in Cortana
    Cortana Reminders Aren't Appearing: I have set daily timed reminders such as "remind me to do this at 1:30 p.m. on weekdays," and the reminders are still active as "Upcoming" or "Later" in my Cortana journal, but after I log out of my computer they remain in the journal and never give notifications. I am...