Windows 10: Cortana running in background

Discus and support Cortana running in background in Cortana to solve the problem; Hey there!!! So i have been using windows 10 for a while now. Recently i noticed that whenever i speak anything close to my microphonewhich i always... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by TheDailyReticent, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Cortana running in background

Hey there!!!

So i have been using windows 10 for a while now. Recently i noticed that whenever i speak anything close to my microphonewhich i always keep inserted in my CPU's jack the mic icon pops up in the taskbar on the bottom right. Which certainly means that the microphone caught what i spoke near it and processed it. And as soon as i stop speaking the icon vanishes away. This happens even when i am not using an app or a website which requires audio input. So does this mean that my microphone is catching whatever is being spoken near it?

Then i tried to find out where this input audio is going that my microphone is catching. I opened the task manager and found out that Cortana is running in background constantly with around 2.2 MB memory usage and 'very low' power usage status. But whenever i speak near my microphone its memory usage spikes to around 36 MB and 'low' power usage status which really freaks me out. Because that means the input that my microphone catches from its vicinity is being directed to cortana. And i really cant figure out what cortana does with that input. I mean cortana is just an assistant and shouldn't really need to hear anything else.

So my final question is that why is cortana running in background? And why is it hearing me when microsoft clearly says that it cannot hear you until you say 'hello cortana' or press its mic button? Is it spying on the users and sending its data somewhere?

Thanks!!!

:)

TheDailyReticent, Apr 5, 2021

2. Background applications

Hi Robert,

We understand that you don't want some apps to run on the background of your computer. What we suggest is to
    control which apps are allowed to run in the background. To see which apps have permission, just follow the below steps:

• Open the Start menu or Start screen and select “Settings.”
    • Click or tap the “Privacy” icon in the Settings.
    • Scroll down to the bottom of the list and select “Background apps.”
    • You’ll see a list of apps that have permission to run in the background with an “On/Off” toggle.
    Just bear in mind that, apps normally run in the background to update their live tiles, download new data, and receive notifications. If you want an app to continue performing these functions, you should allow it to continue running in
    the background.

Feel free to update us with the results.

Michelle Vil, Apr 5, 2021
  3. Jomel Ber Win User
    Apps only run as background pocesses

Hi Carmine,

To manage background apps in Windows 10, you can follow these steps:

• Go to Start menu and select Settings.
    • Click on Privacy on the Settings window.
    • Scroll down to the bottom of the list and select Background apps.
    • You’ll see a list of apps that have permission to run in the background with an
      On/Off toggle.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Jomel Ber, Apr 5, 2021
  4. Cortana running in background

Disable Cortana from running in the background

Hi,

As per your description, I understand that you would like to disable Cortana. We will assist you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to refer to the article to: Switch Cortana on or off and
    check if it helps.

For more information: Cortana, Search, and privacy: FAQ

If you would like to implement a function to completely disable the Cortana from the background process,
    I suggest you to post your valuable suggestions in Windows feedback app. So, that developers will try to implement it in future Windows 10 updates to enhance user experience.

Hope it helps. Get back to us for further assistance on this issue. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Apr 5, 2021
Thema:

Cortana running in background

1. Cortana running in background - Similar Threads - Cortana running background

2. Cortana and Xbox running

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana and Xbox running: In System Explorer I have found Cortana and Xbox running when they are off. I've noticed in certain areas of my computer it thinks I'm an Enterprise and I am not. This is one of the examples of that. I'm looking for how to find who is accessing this remotely since it was...
  3. Cortana and Xbox running

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cortana and Xbox running: In System Explorer I have found Cortana and Xbox running when they are off. I've noticed in certain areas of my computer it thinks I'm an Enterprise and I am not. This is one of the examples of that. I'm looking for how to find who is accessing this remotely since it was...
  4. Cortana and Xbox running

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Mail not running in background

Mail not running in background: So the Mail app has stopped checking for new messages in the background. Now it only gives me new mail notifications AFTER I open the app. Kind of defeats the point of notifications. Anyone know why it could have stopped working and how to fix it?...
  6. Apps running in background .

in Windows 10 Customization
    Apps running in background .: I would like to stop the possibility of certain programs to run in the windows background. How can I do that? I stopped everything from Task Manager - Startup, but it did not work. Always when I open the computer or give it a restart, the same programs run in the...
  7. Apps Running in Background

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Apps Running in Background: Recently, I've had a lot of Windows apps running in the background- photos, calculator, and the store app, just to name a few- despite the fact that I have my computer set to not run apps in the background. Well, recently I found out that every time I turn on my computer, my...
  8. Edge running in background

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Edge running in background: Why is Microsoft Edge running in the background? Is this necessary or a virus? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/edge-running-in-background/3f945703-6d88-4779-a8c2-e5ff74accc2e
  9. Apps running in Background

Apps running in Background: HI, I'm new to Windows 10 and need some advice. Is it safe to turn off background apps or do I need some running? What about 'mixed reality viewer,' I don't know what it is? I do use MS Edge but do I need it running all the time. ? I like to keep my Gmail, Microsoft, outlook,...
  10. Cortana runs in background after being disabled

Cortana runs in background after being disabled: I have already turned off Cortana and her ability to 'get to know me' in the settings. I go to task manager and Cortana still shows up. while using 3% or memory(a large chunk compared to what is being used when nothing is open), i end her process. After a second or two,...