Windows 10: Cortana runs in background after being disabled

Discus and support Cortana runs in background after being disabled in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have already turned off Cortana and her ability to 'get to know me' in the settings. I go to task manager and Cortana still shows up. while using 3%... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by grimofdoom, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Cortana runs in background after being disabled

I have already turned off Cortana and her ability to 'get to know me' in the settings. I go to task manager and Cortana still shows up. while using 3% or memory(a large chunk compared to what is being used when nothing is open), i end her process. After a second or two, Cortana comes back. Cortana is currently using 48mb average right now. Is there some other process that disabled all Cortana?

--quick edit:: after about 5 minutes, Cortana has increased memory from 48mb to 55mb, and still increases slowly. I fear this could exponentially develop as I use my mac/windows10--

:)

grimofdoom, Aug 1, 2015
  2. BulldogXX Win User

after disabling cortana i find it is still running in the back ground is there any way to prevent this from happening?

Have you thought of searching the web for an answer? This question has been addressed so many times it's getting to be boring.

For example: Why Is Cortana Still Running in the Background After You Disable It?

BulldogXX, Aug 1, 2015
  3. help,regarding cortana

Need help with Cortana in India I want to disable Cortana in my Lumia 535 becoz it is running in background and using background data usage how to disable it I want to stop Cortana running in background please help,..... To,stop,.......

vinayranjan, Aug 1, 2015
  4. Cortana runs in background after being disabled

Cortana stil continues to run while being ocmpletely disabled. It currenty jumps around alot on how much memory it takes, whic at one point hit 1gb(1/4 my mac's ram). I have also run into a problem where I cannot remove, or even move the Cortana app, from the startup menu(I have mine take full screen, and have an app I want to take it's place)

grimofdoom, Aug 1, 2015
  5. After using Microsoft's great help desk. I learned that Cortana is always running no matter what(it is part of the core, for some unknown reason). I was told that it may be removed from core functions, to allow better usage. Also, Cortana cannot be removed(or moved) from the start menu icons(may be a bug help desk was unsure, it was sent to software engineers either way and I will be updated)

grimofdoom, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Cortana runs in background after being disabled

1. Cortana runs in background after being disabled - Similar Threads - Cortana runs background

2. Hyper-V running even after being disabled

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Hyper-V running even after being disabled: Hello,What would cause Hyper-V to continue to generate logs even after the software is disabled and feature turned off? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/hyper-v-running-even-after-being-disabled/8d048265-d0d9-465d-b647-9e121ea059bf
  3. YourPhone.exe is still running in the background after being set to not have background...

in Windows 10 Customization
    YourPhone.exe is still running in the background after being set to not have background...: Hi I absolutely love this application but I can't seem to find any solution to completely kill it in task manager when I need to.Scenario 1: I have went to Start Menu -> Settings -> Privacy -> Background App -> Turn off background process for YourPhone application. But when I...
  4. Cortana running in background

in Cortana
    Cortana running in background: Hey there!!! So i have been using windows 10 for a while now. Recently i noticed that whenever i speak anything close to my microphonewhich i always keep inserted in my CPU's jack the mic icon pops up in the taskbar on the bottom right. Which certainly means that the...
  5. Skype running in background AFTER BEING DISABLED WITH TASK MANAGER

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Skype running in background AFTER BEING DISABLED WITH TASK MANAGER: This is completely unacceptable. Firstly the only reason I have not just switched to Linux is because of Windows software exclusivity, and it's on my last nerve. A few months ago I noticed Skype in my system tray, without my installing. I disabled it starting up with Task...
  6. Cortana Partially Appearing After Disabling. How to Disable Cortana Completely?

in Cortana
    Cortana Partially Appearing After Disabling. How to Disable Cortana Completely?: Hello, I am trying to disable cortana in my new laptop Windows 10 system, which I am still configuring things. I followed some steps in regedit and set a flag to 0. Source: https://www.hows.tech/2019/04/disable-cortana-in-windows-10.html But it is still showing up the...
  7. Mobile Hotspot runs in the background without being turned on.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mobile Hotspot runs in the background without being turned on.: So i have a windows 10 laptop and of course it has mobile hotspot as one of its features, and when i want it to work it works just fine. My problem is that one day i was on my smartphone and i noticed that my laptop was still broadcasting its mobile hotspot even though i was...
  8. How to Disable Cortana after its been disabled ??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Disable Cortana after its been disabled ??: So after turning off Cortana in settings, I see its still running in the Task Manager, right click to end task and it starts right back up. So how do you disable it completely? *really found this... After playing around with it a bit, and I think I found a method....
  9. Disable Cortana using gpedit but process still running after reboot.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Cortana using gpedit but process still running after reboot.: I expected gpedit setting to kill the process, but it hasn't. Is this usual? Any other ways to stop it? 84610
  10. Why is the disabled Cortana still running ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why is the disabled Cortana still running ?: Hi there I have disabled Cortana but it still runs in the background. [img] Anyone know why ? and can it be disabled completely ? zoo 24943