Windows 10: Cortana says it will open word, but won't

Discus and support Cortana says it will open word, but won't in Cortana to solve the problem; *I have a system running with French as the main language, sentences I put here are translations* Hey, I've been toying with Cortana, and enabled... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by MarcZo, Dec 3, 2018.

1. MarcZo Win User

Cortana says it will open word, but won't

*I have a system running with French as the main language, sentences I put here are translations*

Hey,

I've been toying with Cortana, and enabled 'Hey Cortana'.

I've been trying to use it to open Microsoft Word 2016 lately, but witnessed something strange.

At first I didn't know the proper commands, but I finely figured them out.

By saying 'Launch Microsoft Word 2016' ("Ouvre Microsoft Word 2016"), Cortana understands my request, and tells me 'OK, I'm opening Microsoft Word 2016' ("D'accord, j'ouvre Microsoft Word 2016"), and there is the Microsoft Word logo showing, a text saying that it's opening, and a loader (the blue pixels moving left to right). So I know Cortana gets it, it doesn't just pop a browser with a search on Bing right away. Problem is, after a few seconds, it simply opens Edge with a request for 'Launch Microsoft Word 2016' ("Ouvre Microsoft Word 2016") instead of opening Word, as if the opening was unsuccessful and it followed the 'fallback' behavior.

I know she gets it because if I just ask to 'Launch Microsoft Word' ("Ouvre Microsoft Word"), she asks me to choose one between Wordpad and Word 2016, but then the same behavior occurs.

Can anyone help? I haven't found any thread with the exact same issue.

Word 2016 is installed, there's a shortcut for it on the desktop.

Regards.

:)

MarcZo, Dec 3, 2018

2. cortana won`t talk to me

Hi Steven,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

It's unfortunate that you are facing this issue. Let me assist you to resolve the issue.

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• Check and verify if Cortana is activated?
    • Does Cortana search and gives any output/result on screen?
    • Is the Language and region settings set to valid value?
    • Check and verify if Cortana available in your region?
    Method 1:

I suggest you to try to turn Cortana off and then try turning it on back and check if she talks. Refer to the steps below to turn Off and On Cortana:

• Open Cortana.
    • Click the hamburger button in the top left of the window.
    • Go to Settings and click on off.
    • Follow the same steps to turn it on.
    • Check if issue persists.
    I would suggest you to refer to the article given below and check if that helps.

Cortana & search

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/cortana-search

Hope this information helps, let us know the status of the issue

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Dec 3, 2018
  3. windows 10 apps won,t open

Hi Robert,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We appreciate you for trying the troubleshooting steps.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Run Windows app troubleshooter.

Refer to the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

Step 2: Run shell commands for Windows store and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Command prompt(Admin)
      to open elevated Command prompt.

• Type the following commands.

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml

• Hit enter, the blackscreen will appear still for a couple of seconds. After a couple of second a new line saying C:\.... will appear.

• Close Command Prompt.

• Try to start the Windows Store again.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Dec 3, 2018
  4. Cortana says it will open word, but won't

my n97 won t charge or connect

when i put a usb on my n97 it won t charge when i put on the computer it won t say nokia pc suite or else it not reading the usb cannot work on my phone plz hel

karim71---01, Dec 3, 2018
Thema:

Cortana says it will open word, but won't

1. Cortana says it will open word, but won't - Similar Threads - Cortana says open

2. Microsoft word won't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft word won't open: Whenever I open Microsoft word on my Computer, it says "Word Couldn't start last time. Safe mode could help you troubleshoot the problem, but some features might not be available in the mode."When I say yes, it opens a completely blank word file, nowhere to type. If I try to...
  3. Microsoft word won't open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft word won't open: Whenever I open Microsoft word on my Computer, it says "Word Couldn't start last time. Safe mode could help you troubleshoot the problem, but some features might not be available in the mode."When I say yes, it opens a completely blank word file, nowhere to type. If I try to...
  4. cortana won't open word

in Cortana
    cortana won't open word: I asked her to open word but she said sorry I can't help with that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-wont-open-word/735b3318-5d5a-4acc-a91d-8cd00968a407
  5. Cortana says "Opening Pandora" but doesn't open pandora

in Cortana
    Cortana says "Opening Pandora" but doesn't open pandora: I tell Cortana "Open Pandora" Cortana says "Sure thing, Starting Pandora" Cortana disappears and nothing happens It worked yesterday and this morning. I am using a Surface Pro 7 running Windows 10 home edition Version 1903 os build 18362.1016...
  6. Word and Word documents won't open properly

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Word and Word documents won't open properly: Windows 10 Version 1903(OS build 18362.900 Hello everyone - my first time here :) I have Microsoft Office365 legitimately shared with me (via a link) from my son-in-law who has a subscription. I've had it on my PC for about 7 weeks and only been using Word which has been...
  7. Cortana won't open programs

in Cortana
    Cortana won't open programs: I upgraded my Windows 10 to version 2004. After that I open some apps from cortana. And after that I also updated cortana applications. After that I can't open apps from cortana...
  8. Word files won't open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Word files won't open: Hi, I have spent all day trying everything I can to get my Word files to open. Files opened last night, but none today. I click on a file and it has the little hourglass for about say 15 secs or so then just reverts to an arrow and nothing happens. I have tried Right...
  9. MS Word won't open

in Microsoft Office and 365
    MS Word won't open: MS Word won't open any .doc or .docx files. It returns error messages as shown in the screen captures below. [img] [img] [img] 132927
  10. New W10 PC - Cortana says "opening word" but opens wordpad instead, every time.

in Cortana
    New W10 PC - Cortana says "opening word" but opens wordpad instead, every time.: This is a brand-new Lenovo Yoga 11e PC with W10 installed. I bought Office Home & Student 2019 and entered the key, got the Office activated display. I can open Word manually, but when I say, "Hey Cortana, open word", Cortana displays both word and wordpad, and selecting...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cortana opens but loads forever

2. cortana launch word opens wordpad