Windows 10: Cortana Search box settings how to get it to do what I want

Discus and support Cortana Search box settings how to get it to do what I want in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; On the whole I quite like Windows 10, but there is one thing I have hated since first opening it up and that is the wretched Cortana Search box on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JOC, May 30, 2019.

1. JOC
    JOC Win User

Cortana Search box settings how to get it to do what I want

On the whole I quite like Windows 10, but there is one thing I have hated since first opening it up and that is the wretched Cortana Search box on the desktop. How do I get back the windows 7 search box functionality where it would only search for things on the computer itself? I have spent literally hours online searching for a solution and cannot find one which I can apply to this computer - I've done all the recommended stuff like clicking on the Cortana settings, and clicking the notebook icon which brings me to nothing useful. All I want is a search box that will find me files on my computer and behave like the search box did on windows 7 i.e. to ignore the internet when it is searching without having to make any additional selections. I'd even download a 'safe' 3rd party application to get it. If I want to search the internet I'll fire up Chrome and use Google all I actually want is a search box that will find me files on the actual computer itself.

Additionally, if I have to keep this rotten Cortana thing on the screen and it does end up having to search the internet is there anyway of it opening it's searches with Google and not that dreadful Bing!

The one thing that drove me nuts with Windows 10 was this Cortana thing - it still sits there taking up huge amounts of space on the taskbar rather than being under the start menu click. I don't like it and I certainly don't want it, it doesn't behave or do what I want and it just sits there taking up space. I am not interested in cross device performance or making everything connect I don't need it and I don't want it. I really liked the performance and behaviour of the Windows 7 search box on the start menu - how do I get it back please?

If anyone can give me a Windows 10 Search box masterclass I would really appreciate it

:)

2. search box

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10.We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if are able to find search box.

• Right click on the task bar.

• Go to Cortana.

• Click on show search box.
    Now check if you are able to find search box.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, May 30, 2019
  3. Cortana search box - type request

Since I got a Win 10 update a few days ago, Cortana has been hard to deal with :>). She will take requests verbally but if it try to type something into her search box, as soon as I enter a letter, a white box appears as though some suggestions will be
    listed (as it did before the update) and then all of a sudden it disappears and I am back to the original Cortana window. Any ideas? I did set up other admin user and Cortana will allow that user to type into the box and she will immediately start a list
    of suggestions. Also I tried "method 1 and 2 that required changes to the registry.

Richardsymms, May 30, 2019
  4. Cortana Search box settings how to get it to do what I want

Cortana and settings options disappeared

Have you been able to use Cortana before and have you experienced any problems with it then?
    What about trying a system restore?

Also this could be of some use to you: Cortana Search Box Windows 10
    I would particually suggest step 3 and see if the problem still remains with a new user account.

ellellell1, May 30, 2019
Thema:

Cortana Search box settings how to get it to do what I want

1. Cortana Search box settings how to get it to do what I want - Similar Threads - Cortana Search box

2. How do I get the 2017 Search Box ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I get the 2017 Search Box ?: so the First Windows 10 I've Used was 21H2 , Can't Revert to Any Previous Version , nor do I want to Revert , Just the Search Box . submitted by /u/ALICOOL412 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/1aeri2t/how_do_i_get_the_2017_search_box/
  3. How do I search for what I want, not what it tells me I want?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I search for what I want, not what it tells me I want?: I just want to change the power settings. It tells me I want PowerPoint and won't let me remove the "point" or change anything, or give me anything that tells me how to change the power settings. It tells me I want Office, not off. No, I don't want Office. I want to turn the...
  4. How do I search for what I want, not what it tells me I want?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I search for what I want, not what it tells me I want?: I just want to change the power settings. It tells me I want PowerPoint and won't let me remove the "point" or change anything, or give me anything that tells me how to change the power settings. It tells me I want Office, not off. No, I don't want Office. I want to turn the...
  5. How do I restore the Cortana search box?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I restore the Cortana search box?: I've tried right-clicking the search engine (it's only an icon), but there is no Cortana option. How do I resolve this issue? submitted by /u/victoria_queen [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/rix9jb/how_do_i_restore_the_cortana_search_box/
  6. How do I get the Cortana search box?

in Cortana
    How do I get the Cortana search box?: I've been searching online and everything says to right click the task bar and go to the Cortana tab, but I don't have a Cortana tab. The only Cortana related item there is to enable the button to open the Cortana app. I'm also not using small taskbar icons....
  7. I want to get rid of Cortana - how I do that?

in Cortana
    I want to get rid of Cortana - how I do that?: Cortana has been uninstalled - I have a right side pop-up. How do I get rid of it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-get-rid-of-cortana-how-i-do-that/86412021-d161-4646-bf9e-8652ce80b142
  8. Cortana search box

in Cortana
    Cortana search box: Hello, I reinstall Windows and have a problem with Cortana. Before I can choose three functions to show Cortana on the taskbar: Hidden, Show Cortana button and Show Cortana search box. Now I can choose only Show Cortana button after clicking right mouse button on the taskbar....
  9. How do I reduce the Cortana search box size

in Cortana
    How do I reduce the Cortana search box size: Out of no where the box that opens when I click the cortana icon has more than doubled in size and is completely hideous as it now takes up 1/4th of my screen for no reason. I can't seem to find any setting that allows me to revert this travesty of a change and was hoping...
  10. Cortana / Search Box

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana / Search Box: The search box keeps popping open at random. I turned off Cortana but the search box keeps coming on. This is very annoying. If I want to do a search I'll open it myself. How can I stop the Cortana / Search box from popping itself on? 31998

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cortana search box settings

2. can you get back cortana search box that you can type to her

3. cortana & search settings

4. cortana search box setting