Windows 10: Cortana search, these results may be incomplete

Discus and support Cortana search, these results may be incomplete in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I noticed cortana search is often showing a text at the top saying these results may be incomplete please try in a few minutes. But it never goes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Scottyboy99, May 27, 2017.

1. Cortana search, these results may be incomplete

So I noticed cortana search is often showing a text at the top saying these results may be incomplete please try in a few minutes. But it never goes away. It didn't used to do this. I reckon only in last week or so. There have been no significant changes. I checked indexing and it is all correct and complete. I have given the pc ample idle time whilst logged in. The thing is it doesn't display this text on every search and as far as is can tell search works properly. It seeks and finds all the files apps documents I need quick as a flash. So it's bizarre really. It only appears if there are options for folders or something like that on the search result which I need to click on to reveal the result. Anyone else get the same? This is an anniversary update pc latest version that hasn't yet been offered creators update. It only seems prevalent on my user account and not the others. However, we don't really use the other user accounts much. All the documents, pics are under mine.

i have noted that this is not an uncommon issue but most people reporting this don't actually get search results working properly. Mine works, if it wasn't for this text I wouldn't know anything was up

:)

Scottyboy99, May 27, 2017

2. Windows / Cortana search "Results may be incomplete"

Hi Jennifer, thank you for your reply. I just got the Surface, and I've not tried to manually install any updates but of course I think by default it will try to install updates automatically and so some may have been installed that way. In any case,
    this is the behavior since I got the computer, it did not suddenly change - search works fine on the original account I created during setup, any account I have added after that however has the problem. I've added (and deleted) several accounts and they all
    end up with this problem - some are just local accounts, some are accounts tied to Microsoft accounts, but same issue regardless.

MartyKatz2, May 27, 2017
  3. Windows / Cortana search "Results may be incomplete"

To start troubleshooting, we recommend that you first run the built-in troubleshooter by going to
    Control Panel > View by: Small icons > Troubleshooting > View all > Search and Indexing.

You may also refer a thread related to your concern and check the solutions that worked for other community members. To view the thread, click this
    link.

Let us know how it went.

Jennifer Cha, May 27, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Cortana search, these results may be incomplete

Hi: example of 1 possible cause/solution:

Settings: (UK - US ok) Solved - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, May 28, 2017
  5. Thank you. I was encouraged by a possible solution but alas the folder was already en-GB. I guess I'll just grin and bear the issue. Maybe at some point it'll sort itself out. Search actually works fine and that text only manifests itself if I click on folders or music to expand them/drill down into them and even then the results are correct (and it doesn't do it for every search). The initial search never shows the message, always looks fine, it's just if one has to expand a sectionime folders, documents or music by clicking on one.

I search for reliability history all the time, I always just type 'rel' and that gives me best match but also has 'folders' unexpanded as part of the search hit. In this case I click folders for in depth results and 100% of the time it will show the spinny wheel and text about results being incomplete on that particular search. I wonder how long it has been there as a problem, maybe the last cumulative update for v1607 is the culprit back on may patch tuesday. I have only noticed it in the last week or so because I never used search loads but it could of been there longer. Of course now I test it all the time since noticing. It could even be a server side issue at MS getting itself into the mix.

Scottyboy99, May 28, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Ok, now you mention folders and music- a bit more detail- I've just tried searching for music - my large music folder is indexed, but I get exactly the same message in Cortana's dialogue box.

(I use the AU).

I also note the Music folder is specified as This PC, One Drive - and I don't have One Drive running.
    Just wondering if that might account for it.

(Way back, this message was usually related to incompletely installing a language pack)

dalchina, May 28, 2017
  7. Ah. So you see it too. I have one drive enabled on mine. The more I think about it I believe MS server side issue might be causing this glitch. It's frustrating !

Scottyboy99, May 28, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

No, it's not Onedrive - and it's not the equivalent of a green progress bar (which would have meant Cortana search had been extended to non-indexed locations). There's no disk activity...

In the CU, a few are seeing an as yet unresolved message *Some settings are managed.... (with a *) - yet no functional problem.

I'm beginning to think we should no longer expect Windows to be reliable in such matters, and only deal with thing that clearly impinge on us functionally.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cortana search, these results may be incomplete - Similar Threads - Cortana search results

2. no cortana search results

in Cortana
    no cortana search results: no cortana search results https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-cortana-search-results/a8802319-d2a3-432d-a63b-cd0b4a5885c2
  3. Windows Search incomplete

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Search incomplete: When I search for a word or phrase in my documents in Windows 10, I rarely receive more than 15 or so documents that include that word. when it is included in possibly 60 - 70 or more Why is Windows 10 search so incomplete? Can I do anything to widen the search? I've used...
  4. My cortana search shows blank results

in Cortana
    My cortana search shows blank results: Today I noticed my cortana search looks completely different. When I go to type in my search box, I get blank results, no matter what I type. I have verified that Windows has indexed nearly 50,000 items for windows search. How can i fix this? My first picture shows what...
  5. Why does Microsoft Windows 10 give incomplete search results?

Why does Microsoft Windows 10 give incomplete search results?: If I gave over 180 "dummies" PDF book files, why does Microsoft Windows 10 only give partial results? When moving book files around, beginning to see where half the files do not show up in my searches. Having the software "Everything" I am able to get everything. How do I...
  6. Please fix Explorer incomplete search results

Please fix Explorer incomplete search results: This is a request towards Microsoft to please finally fix the incomplete search results in file explorer. I just spend a lot of time again trying to find a file that I could've found in 3 seconds, if only search was actually showing all files and folders within the selected...
  7. Search can't find some files, says "These results may be incomplete"

in Windows 10 Support
    Search can't find some files, says "These results may be incomplete": When I "search my stuff" from the start menu, some files that I know to be indexed never show up in the results. And at the top of the search window, it reads: "These results may be incomplete, search is still indexing your stuff." I've rebuilt the search index, which says...
  8. Win10 search: “These results may be incomplete”, won't find files

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 search: “These results may be incomplete”, won't find files: Hello. Windows 10 bugs are driving me insane, I hope some of you can help me. I'm using a 3 months old hp Spectre x360 (early 2016 model) which came preinstalled with Windows 10. It currently has the Anniversary Edition installed. When I try to search based on the files...
  9. Broken search, possibly language related? Cortana incomplete results.

in Windows 10 Support
    Broken search, possibly language related? Cortana incomplete results.: Little help required, because I feel like i've done my fair share of searching what I thought I could fix origianlly.... My search is broken, saying the results may be incomplete, cortana isnt particularly helpful! I've tried rebuilding the index, taking ownership of files...
  10. W10 Search Broken - These results may be incomplete

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 Search Broken - These results may be incomplete: Hi. I recently performed a clean upgrade from a clean 8.1 Install of Windows Pro. It's connected to a domain and uses Folder Redirection. The search function finds NO programs or start menu shortcuts, desktop etc. When I click the start and start typing, a few...