Windows 10: Cortana Setup "Frozen" and crashing for days

Discus and support Cortana Setup "Frozen" and crashing for days in Cortana to solve the problem; So in December, I was finally told the truth by Microsoft, that in fact their Cortana set up servers had crashed and people were unable to reconnect... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by W in CT, Feb 3, 2021.

1. W in CT Win User

Cortana Setup "Frozen" and crashing for days

So in December, I was finally told the truth by Microsoft, that in fact their Cortana set up servers had crashed and people were unable to reconnect their Cortana devices that were disconnected when the servers crashed. In my case, its the Harman Kardon Invoke speaker.

Well, the problem started again last week. I've spent hours on the phone with Microsoft India there are no tech support reps in the United States anymore, constant waits, redirects because there is no Drop Down topic for Cortana - so it is Windows or is it MS365? Nobody seems to know. Chat is even worse - bounce back and forth, multiple case #s established, and copy paste emails of generic and useless information. Even more problematic is with constantly dropped telephone calls in India their end! nobody ever returns calls. But that aligns with not sending Customer Satisfaction surveys because you don't want to get 0s and 1s = WOULD NOT RECOMMEND!

Meanwhile, because Microsoft threw us under the bus by discontinuing Cortana - unless I get the device RECONNECTED, I won't get the critical firmware update to remove Cortana and have a $200 "dumb" speaker that's bluetooth only. No firmware update and I get a $200 black cylindrical paperweight.

SO MICROSOFT - 1 When will the servers be FIXED so that devices can be reconnected? 2 Harman Kardon is flooded with telephone calls and indicate that Microsoft is not responding to their 2 week old request for information and status on getting it fixed! 3 SPECIFICS on how the firmware update process will work - changes to lights on the unit today vs. when you force it to become a "dumb" speaker, etc. 4 When will your website agree with Harman Kardon's status from last July, 2020 on how this will work given it is now not only 2021 but early February. 5 I've been alerted with iOS on my iPad that you won't support it after 3/31/2021. Will that be extended if you take another few weeks to get the server problem fixed?

I should add that until a week ago the unit worked perfectly fine so it isn't a hardware issue, it is Microsoft incompetence and failure to alert the tech support area that this is a KNOWN problem, ETA, etc.

Anybody else having the issues I'm having? Harman Kardon tech support management tells me they are getting an increasing number of phone calls that nobody can get their speaker reconnected and thus no firmware update.

I'll post this under "Windows" since you don't offer "Cortana" as a topic. Cortana on my Win10 laptop works fine, that's not the issue, it's set up that's busted once again.

:)

W in CT, Feb 3, 2021
  2. rlforbes Win User

Cortana Setup Failure

I open Microsoft Edge and am presented with the opportunity to setup. I proceed to step 2 which is Cortana. I sign in with my Microsoft ID and password and am presented with a request for another password (supposedly an old password). If the screen doesn't
    lock up, I enter my password again and am told that it isn't any good. So ----- I am unable to setup Cortana or proceed beyond that step.

Any suggestions?

rlforbes, Feb 3, 2021
  3. Mithin_EJ Win User
    Cannot install Cortana Device Setup - Need Workaround

Hi Nicolas,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, kindly reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. Are you getting any error message?
    2. What is the version of Windows 10 you are using? You can refer this article to

Check for operating system information in Windows 10.

3. When you say does not find my device,
      which device are you using?

Please help us with the screenshot of the page in the application, where it says
    runs a an Surface Headphones app. Follow the steps mentioned in the

screenshot
    posted by Shawn ‘Cmdr’ Keene on Oct 2, 2015 to post the screenshot.

Try to uninstalling and reinstalling the Cortana Device Setup app and check if you're able to complete the setup. Invoke Works with select music services, paid subscriptions may be required. I suggest you to try reset Invoke, follow
    the below steps, and check if that helps.

1. Attach Power Cable
    2. Press and Hold the Mic Mute Button until Cortana Says, “Ready for setup.”

Note: the Invoke will not function until properly set up and linked to a Microsoft account.

I suggest you to follow this article on
    Set up my Harman Kardon Invoke with Cortana

I also suggest you to refer this article on
    Introducing Harman Kardon INVOKE with Cortana by Microsoft
    , where you can see the partners who support controlling invoke.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Mithin_EJ, Feb 3, 2021
  4. Geethu B Win User

Cortana setup not continuing past language setup

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I will surely help you to fix this issue.

This issue could have occurred due to incorrect language or Cortana settings.

Try the steps listed here:

Method 1:

I suggest you to refer the article and check if you are setting language properly for Cortana or not.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/cortanas-regions-and-languages#v1h=tab02

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to try the steps in the following article to fix common issues with Cortana.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Feb 3, 2021
Thema:

1. Cortana Setup "Frozen" and crashing for days - Similar Threads - Cortana Setup Frozen

2. Old laptop frozen on aptio setup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old laptop frozen on aptio setup: Hi,I recently found my old laptop but I can't get out of the aptio set up. My keyboard doesn't seem to be working and neither is the mouse pad. I can see the date is correct and the time is moving as normal but I have no control and cannot exit. It's a 2012 ASUS.Any...
  3. Old laptop frozen on aptio setup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old laptop frozen on aptio setup: Hi,I recently found my old laptop but I can't get out of the aptio set up. My keyboard doesn't seem to be working and neither is the mouse pad. I can see the date is correct and the time is moving as normal but I have no control and cannot exit. It's a 2012 ASUS.Any...
  4. Aptio Setup Utility seemingly frozen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Aptio Setup Utility seemingly frozen: So I restarted my computer last night to update some drivers, and it booted into the Aptio Setup Utility, with the following message:“WARNING! System firmware is being updated.Keyboard is locked.DO NOT TURN THE POWER OFF!!!Once firmware update is completedSystem will be...
  5. Aptio Setup Utility seemingly frozen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Aptio Setup Utility seemingly frozen: So I restarted my computer last night to update some drivers, and it booted into the Aptio Setup Utility, with the following message:“WARNING! System firmware is being updated.Keyboard is locked.DO NOT TURN THE POWER OFF!!!Once firmware update is completedSystem will be...
  6. Aptio Setup Utility seemingly frozen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Connection issue when setup the Cortana

in Cortana
    Connection issue when setup the Cortana: My internet connection keeps dropping when I am trying to set up Cortana, anybody else have issues with this?[Original Title: Cortana] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connection-issue-when-setup-the-cortana/58eb5583-95b9-41c2-b565-9e402ed491fa
  8. How to setup cortana respond to ok cortana instaed of hey cortana

in Cortana
    How to setup cortana respond to ok cortana instaed of hey cortana: I dont want to say hey cortana instaead i want instaead ok cortana https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-setup-cortana-respond-to-ok-cortana-instaed/eafedf6a-99ce-48a9-a249-f3639caf52aa
  9. Cortana Crash

in Cortana
    Cortana Crash: I downloaded all the updates and after installing them, cortana is always crashing whenever I speak a command. I have tried turning cortana on and off. I have also tried troubleshooting....
  10. Harman Kardon Invoke and Setup with Cortana

in Cortana
    Harman Kardon Invoke and Setup with Cortana: I want to setup my Invoke. Cortana wants to set up Surface Headphones...……..I don't have any. I have tried this on Android and Windows. Any suggestions....