Windows 10: Cortana still crashing despite several fixes

Discus and support Cortana still crashing despite several fixes in Cortana to solve the problem; Hi all, As above Cortana is crashing constantly despite reinstalling, re-registering (using powershell) and also freshly formatting the dive and... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Haggison110, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Cortana still crashing despite several fixes

Hi all,

As above Cortana is crashing constantly despite reinstalling, re-registering (using powershell) and also freshly formatting the dive and resintalling win10 twice using two different USB sticks and a fresh version from the creation tool each time.

The exact issue is I click on the cortana box and it does open up the window, however the blue dots whiz across the top once or twice then the window closes. Watching the process in task manager reveals it disappears and reappears when the window closes. During the time the window is open the icons are not responsive and I cannot type anything in. Speech recognition also does not work and no sound is made once the window opens on saying, "Hey, Cortana". Occasionally the cortana search box will disappear and the microphone icon will appear off centre above on restart or after it presumably crashes and restarts.

Here is what event viewer throws up on every attempt:

Log Name: Application

Source: Application Error

Date: 18/04/2019 10:57:31

Event ID: 1000

Task Category: (100)

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: DESKTOP-4QV91IV

Description:

Faulting application name: SearchUI.exe, version: 10.0.17763.404, time stamp: 0x5c9da6ae

Faulting module name: edgehtml.dll, version: 11.0.17763.437, time stamp: 0xb1870ea7

Exception code: 0xc0000602

Fault offset: 0x00000000003e6304

Faulting process ID: 0x111c

Faulting application start time: 0x01d4f5cc46aef535

Faulting application path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\edgehtml.dll

Report ID: 9e8a0cb3-a95e-4d87-904c-05f744abab0b

Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.11.5.17763_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy

Faulting package-relative application ID: CortanaUI

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-04-18T09:57:31.106545700Z" />

<EventRecordID>1634</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>DESKTOP-4QV91IV</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>SearchUI.exe</Data>

<Data>10.0.17763.404</Data>

<Data>5c9da6ae</Data>

<Data>edgehtml.dll</Data>

<Data>11.0.17763.437</Data>

<Data>b1870ea7</Data>

<Data>c0000602</Data>

<Data>00000000003e6304</Data>

<Data>111c</Data>

<Data>01d4f5cc46aef535</Data>

<Data>C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe</Data>

<Data>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\edgehtml.dll</Data>

<Data>9e8a0cb3-a95e-4d87-904c-05f744abab0b</Data>

<Data>Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.11.5.17763_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy</Data>

<Data>CortanaUI</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

I have tried changing the name of the cortana folder in the windowsapps folder to get the package to rebuild itself from scrap and that also results in the same problem.

I have ran a chkdsk. sfc scan, checked all the hardware (ram, HDD, cpu) but it seems to be only on this particular laptop. I have even replaced the HDD with a new one and found no difference.

The machine is an HP 255 G4 running Win 10 Home 1809 Build 17763.47 with no updates available as of now. All HP drivers are installed and up to date. The account is an offline one and, I am fixing this for a friend, he does not want it linked to a microsoft account.

Help me out here O' gurus of computer wisdom!

Regards,

Harrison

EDIT: More relevant title

:)

Haggison110, Apr 18, 2019
  2. Naki Win User

GPU-Z 0.8.7 crash on launch

W1zzard is asking you to test so that he can suggest next steps and be able to troubleshoot the issue you have.
    If another version works, it would be one set of steps.
    If several other versions also fail/crash, then it would be another.

3. Regions speech not available despite correct language pack install

The issue still remains unresolved, as English (Australia) simply does not show up in the list despite following all suggested steps to date (which I had done previously)

ChristopherWatson_46, Apr 18, 2019
  4. peach1971 Win User

Cortana still crashing despite several fixes

all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Apr 18, 2019
Thema:

Cortana still crashing despite several fixes

1. Cortana still crashing despite several fixes - Similar Threads - Cortana still crashing

2. Several Crashes - BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Several Crashes - BSOD: Hi,I had several crashes with BSOD:https://1drv.ms/u/s!Avwzi6V_sGYfkVVp4lYJFceKBIpt?e=HzMltehttps://1drv.ms/u/s!Avwzi6V_sGYfkVZvmDPPACftu3tl?e=J00KqSThx in advance! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/several-crashes-bsod/f84a2a53-a56d-4eb8-b73f-3b046f230703
  3. Several Crashes - BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Several Crashes - BSOD: Hi,I had several crashes with BSOD:https://1drv.ms/u/s!Avwzi6V_sGYfkVVp4lYJFceKBIpt?e=HzMltehttps://1drv.ms/u/s!Avwzi6V_sGYfkVZvmDPPACftu3tl?e=J00KqSThx in advance! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/several-crashes-bsod/f84a2a53-a56d-4eb8-b73f-3b046f230703
  4. Cortana still not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cortana still not working: So a little while ago,. I updated to windows 10 20h2. I noticed my cortana was no longer working. I reinstalled windows 10 today and it still doesn't work on a new install of Windows. submitted by /u/ProGamer1151 [link] [comments]...
  5. Crashing on startup, tried to fix but still a problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Crashing on startup, tried to fix but still a problem: My problem starts yesterday when I booted up my laptop- I use a Lenovo G50-80 with Windows 10 At first everything seemed fine but a few minutes into using it it progressively got more and more slow, the thing turning to 'Not Responding', until it finally crashed. I had been...
  6. Cortana Crash

in Cortana
    Cortana Crash: I downloaded all the updates and after installing them, cortana is always crashing whenever I speak a command. I have tried turning cortana on and off. I have also tried troubleshooting....
  7. Still getting notifications despite disabling

in Windows 10 Support
    Still getting notifications despite disabling: Hi, I keep getting a popup message everytime I open an emulator (like ePSXe) that tells me what buttons to press to take a snapshot. This happens every single time I open an emulator or go to fullscreen, and it's actually damaging the performance of the emulator, especially...
  8. cortana still not working

in Cortana
    cortana still not working: ok after my update of windows 10 I noticed cortana was not working as it should ie not sending/receiving texts or emails. the same message kept coming up 'cortana can not send messages' try your mobile app'. now I have tried every thing that has been mentioned in online...
  9. Can't type in cortana search bar. tried several apparent known fixes, still not working....

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't type in cortana search bar. tried several apparent known fixes, still not working....: I've tried system file checker and a few particular other fixes, all of which did nothing for me, and then it occurred to me that the two problems listed in the subject might be related. If anyone can help me out, please do. I'd really appreciate it! For slightly more...
  10. Win10 Wifi Still not staying connected, despite trying multiple fixes.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win10 Wifi Still not staying connected, despite trying multiple fixes.: Hi, I upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7. I have tried numerous fixes to get it to stay connected but it just doesn't seem to work. I have done all the well documented fixes including registry edits, changing the power management settings on my network device and it just...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 0x5c9da6ae searchui

2. cortana crashing dota 2

3. Faulting application name: SearchUI.exe version: 10.0.17763.404 time stamp: 0x5c9da6ae

4. Faulting application name: SearchUI.exe version: 10.0.17763.404 time stamp: 0x5c9da6aeFaulting module name: SearchUI.exe version: 10.0.17763.404 time stamp: 0x5c9da6ae