Windows 10: Cortana Stopped Working after "May update"

Discus and support Cortana Stopped Working after "May update" in Cortana to solve the problem; I kept getting prompts about last chance for May update. I performed the update and have lost Cortana. She will open sometimes but NEVER responds... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by RobinM4, Oct 2, 2019.

1. RobinM4 Win User

Cortana Stopped Working after "May update"

I kept getting prompts about last chance for May update. I performed the update and have lost Cortana. She will open sometimes but NEVER responds since I did this update. I have performed all troubleshooting. Can I uninstall this "May update". I was much happier with Windows 10 before this update.

:)

RobinM4, Oct 2, 2019

2. Cortana

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

This issue can occur if some of the system files are not working as expected.

Suggest you to follow the steps from this article to
    troubleshoot Cortana on the PC

Note: Do not go with the ‘Reset PC’ option for now.

Method 1: Follow these steps to disable Cortana:

1. Sign-in to the PC with your Microsoft account.
    2. In the search box at the bottom, type Disable Cortana.
    3. Once the suggestions appear in the list, click Cortana & Search settings.
    4. From the right section of the Settings pane, move the top button to ‘Off’ to disable Cortana from Windows 10.

Method 2: Follow these steps to check if that helps.

1. Launch Cortana from the search bar on the taskbar.
    2. Then, from the left pane click the settings button.
    3. Under "Cortana" (the first option) and slide the pill switch to the ‘Off’ position.

Method 3: Launch the Settings app and click on Privacy. Navigate to Speech, inking, & typing, and click Stop getting to know me. These steps will disable Cortana.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Oct 2, 2019
  3. Cortana not working

Hi,

Just to ensure that the settings are configured correctly, please try the steps below.

This issue may occur if location settings are not turned on for Cortana.

To turn on location settings for Cortana, I suggest you to try these steps and check if it helps.

• Click on Start Button and type Location in the search.

• Open Location Privacy Settings.

• Under the option "choose apps that can use your location" check if Cortana is turned on.

• If not turn on and check if it helps.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Joy Kemprai, Oct 2, 2019
  4. Cortana Stopped Working after "May update"

Cortana stopped working

Cortana completely stopped working followed all the suggestions that are post on line nothing works. So how do I reinstall Cortana

EdRichards2, Oct 2, 2019
Thema:

Cortana Stopped Working after "May update"

1. Cortana Stopped Working after "May update" - Similar Threads - Cortana Stopped Working

2. Window spotlight stop working after reinstall cortana

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Window spotlight stop working after reinstall cortana: Hi, Like the subject, spotlight feature on my lap stop working right after i reinstalled and use cortana win 10 ver 20h2 before i reinstall cortana, it still fine What should i do? Thanks....
  3. Is it safe to uninstall Cortana via powershell after the May 2020 update?

in Cortana
    Is it safe to uninstall Cortana via powershell after the May 2020 update?: I got paranoid when Cortana invades a bit of my privacy so I searched how to uninstall it. Without knowing the disclaimers when using the Powershell I used this code Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.549981C3F5F10 Remove-AppxPackage Then I used this: Get-AppXPackage...
  4. Cortana Windows May 2020 Update

in Cortana
    Cortana Windows May 2020 Update: Hi! I just updated my Windows, which was supposed to be the diagnosis of the black screen error Previously mentioned among my other questions, but instead, it caused another one. Now, Cortana is an app, which is way cooler, but what will make it even cooler is that it runs....
  5. Help. After Windows Update in May - Printer stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help. After Windows Update in May - Printer stopped working: I am on KB4497165. My Brother printer stopped working with KB4552931. Printer diagnostics doesn't find problem. Should I roll back to KB4549951?...
  6. After Windows Update 10 May 2020 Cortana will no longer work?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After Windows Update 10 May 2020 Cortana will no longer work?: I have installed the update 10 May 2020, which supposedly has some improvements, but after that some applications do not work anymore. So far it does not bother me, but Cortana does not respond to my questions anymore. (Unfortunately Cortana in German is not available at the...
  7. cortana not working after last update

in Cortana
    cortana not working after last update: Help I'm new at this. Cortana was working fine until last update feb. 17. Now I can't get anything except Cortana asking permission to get familiar with the way I talk. When I hit the "sure" button I get "I'm sorry something went wrong. Try again in a little bit. Same thing...
  8. cortana stopped working

in Cortana
    cortana stopped working: has just stopped, any fixes? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-stopped-working/efb116d4-b28c-446e-8753-d2590db5a334"
  9. Cortana just stops working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana just stops working: I can't believe I am the only person with this problem. Cortana works , more or less, for a day or so and then just suddenly I click on "ask me anything" and nothing happens. Cortana is just plain non-responsive. If I re-boot my machine it starts working again until the next...
  10. Cortana stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana stopped working: When I start using Cortana it will not connect to the Internet. I say, for example, "Hey Cortana" then I say "Facebook Log in" it copies what I say but then comes back with, "The Internet and I are not talking right now." or "I can't connect right now, try again in a little...