Windows 10: Cortana tells wrong time

Discus and support Cortana tells wrong time in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; This seems simple, but I can't find any way to get it right. Cortana can't seem to tell me the right time. I live in Ypsilanti, MI. Somehow Cortana... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by StuckOnWords, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Cortana tells wrong time

This seems simple, but I can't find any way to get it right. Cortana can't seem to tell me the right time.

I live in Ypsilanti, MI. Somehow Cortana thinks I live in Ypsilanti Twp., ND. So when I ask her what time it is, she's giving me a time from the North Dakota time zone, which is an hour behind my Michigan time zone.

The clock on my computer has the correct time and time zone.
    I ensured that the address settings in my Hotmail account is correct.
    I ensured that my Bing settings knows my correct address.
    I added my address to Favorite Places in Cortana and set it as "Home".

Nothing seems to get Cortana to give me the right time (or home location).

So where do I go to correct my home location for Cortana?

:)

StuckOnWords, Feb 3, 2016
  2. J92(2) Win User

Cortana's timer not working

I just installed windows 10 on my laptop and I've been trying to use Cortana's timer but it is not able to start the timer.

When I say "set a 10 minutes timer", Cortana just tells me "Sorry, something went wrong. Try later".

Instead when I tell Cortana to set a timer, a window with the times setting appears and it ask me for how long and, after I answer, it just blocks again.

What's wrong with Cortana?

J92(2), Feb 3, 2016
  3. kwdavids Win User
    Why doesn't Cortana work most of the time?

I tried this about 20 times on two devices: "Hey Cortana, tell me a joke." Cortana understood me, but only once on each device did Cortana actually tell me a joke. The other times I got "Sorry, the internet and I aren't talking right now" or "Something went
    wrong. Try again a little bit" or "Something went wrong. Try again in a little bit." I have a reliable high-speed Internet connection.

Is the Cortana server overwhelmed or something? It's obviously of no use when it takes an hour to get a response.

kwdavids, Feb 3, 2016
  4. Edwin New Member

Cortana tells wrong time

Check your location in the Weather App and your location settings;
    make sure there is not two locations in the Weather App.

Edwin, Feb 3, 2016
  5. Yep, that's not it. It's set correctly. Thanks for the thought, though.

6. What device do you have? Check to make sure your PC is set for the correct Time zone.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/time-l...ngs-windows-10

orlbuckeye, Feb 3, 2016
  7. Edwin New Member
    I had a similar glitch once; Try something:
    Go to Settings/Time & Language, turn Off-'Set time automatically' (1), click the 'Change' button (2), if it stays greyed out, scroll through the menu on the left for a minute then try it again (3), then change and save the time; then... change it all back to defaults.
    Sounds crazy but it worked for me, maybe throw a couple Restarts in there too! *Smile

Cortana tells wrong time [​IMG]

Edwin, Feb 3, 2016
  8. Cortana tells wrong time

9. Edwin New Member
    Yeah, so did mine, but I fiddled with it anyway and it fixed the glitch.

Edwin, Feb 3, 2016
  10. Doesn't sound any crazier than tons of other experiences I've had with computers. I don't have access to the computer in question right now, but I'll give that a try when I can. (In a couple hours.)

11. Nope, it didn't have any affect. I read on another site that Cortana gets her Time info from Bing rather than from System Time. But I did try it, to no avail. *Sad

StuckOnWords, Feb 4, 2016
  12. strangely enough I have just tried and have the same issue

I am in the UK but when I ask Cortana (or Bing) what the time is it gives me India time (5.5 hours ahead of me)

PC Time and timezone are correct, bing has my location and weather app has my correct location

paulsalter, Feb 4, 2016
  13. Cortana tells wrong time

Thanks for chiming in, Paul. There's strength in numbers. *Smile Hopefully someone can come up with an idea for us.

StuckOnWords, Feb 4, 2016
  14. Same issue on my Windows 10 phone

paulsalter, Feb 4, 2016
  15. lx07 Win User
    Do you live somewhere with the same name as somewhere in India?

Thema:

Cortana tells wrong time

1. Cortana tells wrong time - Similar Threads - Cortana tells wrong

2. Wrong time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong time: I built my windows 11 pc over the winter, since daylight saving changed this month my time has been 1 hour ahead I've set the auto-adjust daylight to off because my country doesn't use it, the time displayed in the date and time settings is correct but the time displayed on...
  3. Wrong time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wrong time: I built my windows 11 pc over the winter, since daylight saving changed this month my time has been 1 hour ahead I've set the auto-adjust daylight to off because my country doesn't use it, the time displayed in the date and time settings is correct but the time displayed on...
  4. Wrong time

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wrong time: All of a sudden most of the UTC+1 clocks show 1 hour ahead, but only half of them. I noticed my time changed 1 hour forward (DST was awhile ago), so I checked. My time zone is correct and it updates automatically. I'm in UTC+1 and googling the time shows the correct time,...
  5. Time is wrong.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Time is wrong.: My time has been wrong for quite some time now. I have tried everything. When I go to change my time zone it will automatically change it back to Pacific time. How would I restart the time driver?...
  6. What's wrong with Cortana ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What's wrong with Cortana ?: Images - 1. Cortana Settings I'm sorry, this may seem trivial, but did any of the new updates do something to Cortana on my device? Also I'm pretty sure, there was a setting called Cortana in itself, that doesn't seem to be there as well. Is this some kind of under...
  7. Mailbox wrong location for Cortana

in Cortana
    Mailbox wrong location for Cortana: Hi, I have an issue with Cortana which does not appear on my previous computer. All the settings are the same, and this is what I have if I run Cortana with my account. [ATTACH] I tried everything, re-install, change location on my device, change permission, etc. I...
  8. Cortana suggests the wrong app

in Cortana
    Cortana suggests the wrong app: Hi, I only have the Windows 10 mail app installed to manage my emails. Every time I say "open my email" Cortana suggests "Mail" and "Settings". How can I remove the "Settings" option? I've just done a clean install. Thanks....
  9. Wrong Time

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wrong Time: I have recently wiped my PC and found that after doing so the clock on my PC was 3 hours ahead. I have tried everything, even manually setting it, but nothing works. When I reset my PC after manually setting the time to the right time, it changes back to being 3 hours ahead....
  10. cortana is wrong

in Cortana
    cortana is wrong: something happens to cortana does not work can you help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-is-wrong/7f98c728-f072-4e4e-86dd-c1411c7eb73f"