Windows 10: Cortana to get geo-fenced Wi-fi activation

Discus and support Cortana to get geo-fenced Wi-fi activation in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft released upon the world a technical preview of Windows 10 and even though Cortana does not work in this version, there are still assets... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Cortana to get geo-fenced Wi-fi activation

Read more...

:)

Brink, Oct 2, 2014

2. Lumia 635's wifi doesn't turn on when at any favorite location, including Home in Windows Phone 8.1

I'm trying to get it where the phone will use the geo-fencing to turn on WiFi at locations automatically. I have WiFi Sense turned on and it shows "Tracking geofences." I have to manually turn-on Wi-Fi or leave it set to on.

Any ideas on resolving this?

danny_2000, Oct 2, 2014
  3. hpholm Win User
    windows 10 mobile store problem

Are you actually in the US - or trying to enable features only available in the US?

In the first case logon to
    https://account.microsoft.com/
    and verify your settings.

The phone always knows where it is and reports its location to Microsoft. Perhaps it is no longer possible to cheat the

geo-fences ...
    since location-aware features and advertising are deeply integrated in Windows 10.

--

Hans

hpholm, Oct 2, 2014
  4. Cortana to get geo-fenced Wi-fi activation

Interesting, mind you I think my phone does this now. *Smile I've got the Lumia 520 running 8.1 and usually have it set to connect to my home router but the times I've found it's showing as being connected to the open Wi-Fi. Since the upgrade to 8.1 it now has the Wi-Fi sense as part of the phone.

I don't have Cortana as I'm in the UK but I like the other features since the upgrade, the battery seems to last longer now, the only problem though is I can't send via MMS again. *Rolleyes

Joan Archer, Oct 3, 2014
  5. gdscrtr Win User
    Tom's Hardware says Windows 10 will inherit WI-FI Sense. "Windows 10 will also inherit the "Wi-Fi Sense" feature of Windows Phone. It allows you to connect automatically whenever a Wi-Fi hotspot is detected, and to authenticate and accept any required terms of use. The feature also allows you to share Wi-Fi access with your friends without having to actually disclose the password to your home network." Wi-Fi Sense

gdscrtr, Oct 3, 2014
  6. Tony K Win User
    Hi there. Lumia 1520 running 8.1 Developers preview.

I think we have to separate what is part of Cortana and what is not. From what I understand, WiFi Sense and Data Sense are not part of digital assistant Cortana. Those were features of the OS before Cortana was released. Cortana is essentially a very advanced Bing actually. A part of Bing (now Cortana on WP8.1) is using device location, whether it's mobile device or not. What Cortana does it advances it as an assistant, mostly via voice. It's like Bing with assisted voice command.

WiFi Sense is really only a fancy name given to a feature that's been on phones for quite some time. It connects to a WiFi hot spot that's been configured and remembered. It is more advanced in that it automatically fills out demanded info of a free hotspot such as agreeing to an agreement, email address, etc. when opted in to do so. Not a good thing if one does not want to divulge that info. It also shares hotspots with friends. Data Sense simply keeps track of the data used over the carriers network if one has limited data.

Geo-fenced is an added feature of Cortana that will assist in turning on and off WiFi automatically by keeping track via location (device GPS chip) so as to save on battery, which is the weakest link of any mobile device. Rather ingenious really. *Smile

Tony K, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Cortana to get geo-fenced Wi-fi activation

1. Cortana to get geo-fenced Wi-fi activation - Similar Threads - Cortana geo fenced

2. wi-fi wi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wi-fi wi: I just want to use the wi-fi on my second computer without a cable. my computer uses windows 10 and it keep saying fix the cable! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wi-fi-wi/fabd5a5d-b3b2-4ae1-8f34-3c5b98d4e10f
  3. wi-fi wi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    wi-fi wi: I just want to use the wi-fi on my second computer without a cable. my computer uses windows 10 and it keep saying fix the cable! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wi-fi-wi/fabd5a5d-b3b2-4ae1-8f34-3c5b98d4e10f
  4. wi-fi wi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Activating Wi-Fi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activating Wi-Fi: Hi,I notice my wifi board is active but i can't switch on the wifi detection from the window pane in the bottom right corner:I just run sfac /scannow but it didn't solve anithing. I also tried to restart the board. I can use the ethernet board. What else can i do?...
  6. Activating Wi-Fi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activating Wi-Fi: Hi,I notice my wifi board is active but i can't switch on the wifi detection from the window pane in the bottom right corner:I just run sfac /scannow but it didn't solve anithing. I also tried to restart the board. I can use the ethernet board. What else can i do?...
  7. Activating Wi-Fi

8. Wi-fi activation issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wi-fi activation issues: I always turn off my wi-fi manually when I log out of the computer, regardless if it is a shutdown or sleep mode. I turn it on when I need it, usually to check my e-mail, and turn it off when I'm not using it. The wi-fi has been turning itself on without me manually turning...
  9. Can't get wi-fi

Can't get wi-fi: Kids sent Amazone Firestick for Christmas. Can't get it to recognize our wi-fi. Wi-fi setting on computer "says "no wi-fi networks found". Told it Dish Network. No help. Button for wi-fi shows on. I-phone doesn't find wi-fi either. What's wrong....
  10. Wi-fi

Wi-fi: There is no wifi option when i want to connect to a network. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/wi-fi/6e2d68a8-f0a7-45d8-aef6-e2b70405434d