Windows 10: Cortana will not open a browser.

Discus and support Cortana will not open a browser. in Cortana to solve the problem; I have three Windows 10 computers. All have Firefox as the default browser. First, I understand that Cortana will always use Edge as its default... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by StillActive, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Cortana will not open a browser.

I have three Windows 10 computers. All have Firefox as the default browser.

First, I understand that Cortana will always use Edge as its default browser. I am ok with that.

When I type a question into Cortana on one of my machines (an MS Surface Pro 4), Cortana shows web links; when I click on a link, it opens Edge, as it should.

On my other two computers (a Dell XPS 8700 and an HP ENVY x360 m6 Convertible), Cortana will show the same links to a query, but when I click on a link (any link) NOTHING happens. It will not open a browser.

If I just use Bing directly, on any machine, I can click on links and it opens my default browser (Firefox).

Can this be fixed?

Thank you.

:)

StillActive, Jun 2, 2019

2. Cortana Browser

Hi,

To change Cortana's browser, follow the steps below:

• In the Search bar, type Default Programs.
    • Click Default Programs.
    • Scroll down until you find Web browser.
    • Click Internet Explorer.
    • Change the default Web browser to your preference.
    Please take note that Cortana only works on Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge.

Let us know how it goes.

Eugene deV, Jun 2, 2019
  3. Cortana

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

This issue can occur if some of the system files are not working as expected.

Suggest you to follow the steps from this article to
    troubleshoot Cortana on the PC

Note: Do not go with the ‘Reset PC’ option for now.

Method 1: Follow these steps to disable Cortana:

1. Sign-in to the PC with your Microsoft account.
    2. In the search box at the bottom, type Disable Cortana.
    3. Once the suggestions appear in the list, click Cortana & Search settings.
    4. From the right section of the Settings pane, move the top button to ‘Off’ to disable Cortana from Windows 10.

Method 2: Follow these steps to check if that helps.

1. Launch Cortana from the search bar on the taskbar.
    2. Then, from the left pane click the settings button.
    3. Under "Cortana" (the first option) and slide the pill switch to the ‘Off’ position.

Method 3: Launch the Settings app and click on Privacy. Navigate to Speech, inking, & typing, and click Stop getting to know me. These steps will disable Cortana.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Jun 2, 2019
  4. Cortana will not open a browser.

Open Edge browser instead of Cortana

I have Windows 10 TP 10536 build on my lumia 535 and I've set united state as region, match phone language as regional format and English-US as phone language.then i got app named
    cortana on my app list .but when i tap on that app, just open edge browser with search engine. what should i do to get cortana back?

LidulaRasanga, Jun 2, 2019
Thema:

Cortana will not open a browser.

1. Cortana will not open a browser. - Similar Threads - Cortana open browser

2. Cortana assistance on browser

in Cortana
    Cortana assistance on browser: You know how on mobile phones if you ask the assistant a question they open the browser for you? I am trying to do the same for my windows 10 edge browser. The advanced settings is removed and I cannot find "Have Cortana assist me in Microsoft Edge" settings anymore. Is it no...
  3. cortana not opening apps

in Cortana
    cortana not opening apps: I am not able to open apps using cortana. It is showing - "sorry, I am not equipped to do that" . May be some settings error, but till now I am not able to find any source to rectify this problem. No clarity is there ,,,how to solve this problem....
  4. Open Cortana search entry with another browser?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open Cortana search entry with another browser?: Hey, community, I would like to know how to open other browsers with the "Windows feature" Cortana. So if I can give you an example: Youtube.com as an example, that it opens automatically with Chrome and not with Edge. [ATTACH] Cortana sucheingabe mit anderem...
  5. Cant open any web browser cortana suspends it, uwp?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cant open any web browser cortana suspends it, uwp?: as title states, i try to open up chrome or microsoft edge and it freezes, i go to task manager and theres a green leaf on cortana saying background app suspended?...
  6. Browsers not opening

Browsers not opening: Ever since I installed the most recent windows update, I haven't been able to open any internet browser except for Microsoft edge. I have tried this with both google chrome and opera and they will open for about a split second and then immediately close itself. I have tried...
  7. Can’t open browser, cortana or start menu

Can’t open browser, cortana or start menu: I factory reset my MSI GL62M 7RDX laptop to sell it but I can’t open Internet Explorer, Cortana or the start menu. When I click Cortana or the start menu, the blue circle appears next to my cursor for about 2 or 3 seconds but nothing happens. When I try to open the browser,...
  8. How do I change the browser cortana opens

How do I change the browser cortana opens: Whenever I get a result from Cortana that is a web result and I click on it it opens in the edge browser even though I have set my default browser to Google Chrome. What gives? Can I switch Cortanas default browser?...
  9. SearchWithMyBrowser - Open Cortana searches in your default browser

SearchWithMyBrowser - Open Cortana searches in your default browser: Hi! Today, I present to you SearchWithMyBrowser, a little tool to open your Cortana searches in your default browser. Since April 28th, Cortana opens Edge, to force Bing upon you. SearchWithMyBrowser fixes this. It redirects searches to your default browser. If you have...
  10. Browser opening

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Browser opening: Good morning, I have a question I have a 32 bit hp pc and a 64 bit hp pc on my desktop when I click my Firefox Icon for my browser to open it takes 25 seconds for my 64 bit browser to open and 8 seconds for my 32 bit browser to open.and I have both browsers setup the same and...