Windows 10: Cortana will not open apps and is not working well

Discus and support Cortana will not open apps and is not working well in Cortana to solve the problem; Hi , I recently found that Cortana stopped working as expected. For instance, when I ask for an app to be opened e.g. "open excel" then she does a... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by ro8ot, Dec 23, 2020.

1. ro8ot Win User

Cortana will not open apps and is not working well

Hi ,

I recently found that Cortana stopped working as expected. For instance, when I ask for an app to be opened e.g. "open excel" then she does a search for "open Excel". In the past she would open the app. I have reset the app, signed in again but to no avail.

She also thinks I am in Edinburgh when I am in London. When I click on the "see more" link in the answer that Cortana gives and takes me to the MS weather app, it gets the location right.

Many simple questions are met with a response of "sorry I can't help with that". For a laugh I asked "what is a sandwich". The response was "I can't get that for you, but here's the result."

I see on the various discussions forums that people have been posting similar problems since 2015 so maybe there is finally a fix? Is anyone else out there having problems? Is this the death nell for Cortana because MS have given up supporting it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

:)

ro8ot, Dec 23, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Cortana will not open apps and is not working well :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Dec 23, 2020
  3. Cortana not working

Hi,

Just to ensure that the settings are configured correctly, please try the steps below.

This issue may occur if location settings are not turned on for Cortana.

To turn on location settings for Cortana, I suggest you to try these steps and check if it helps.

• Click on Start Button and type Location in the search.

• Open Location Privacy Settings.

• Under the option "choose apps that can use your location" check if Cortana is turned on.

• If not turn on and check if it helps.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Joy Kemprai, Dec 23, 2020
  4. Cortana will not open apps and is not working well

Cortana will not sync with my andoid device cortana app and the windows 10 pc embedded app!

Hello Devin,

There are several workarounds that we can perform for us to troubleshoot the problem with your
    Cortana on your Android device. In the meantime, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• On your Android device, open Settings.
    • Go to Application Manager.
    • Select the Cortana app.
    • Tap on Clear Cache.
    • Reset your device.

Let us know if the these steps resolve the issue.

Lawrence Lib, Dec 23, 2020
Thema:

Cortana will not open apps and is not working well

1. Cortana will not open apps and is not working well - Similar Threads - Cortana open apps

2. Cortana not opening apps

in Cortana
    Cortana not opening apps: I can't open apps like chrome or anything using cortana ,it says ' I'm sorry, but I can't help with that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-not-opening-apps/6d34046b-8832-45a4-84ba-24774b350b37
  3. Cortana not opening apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cortana not opening apps: I can't open apps like chrome or anything using cortana ,it says ' I'm sorry, but I can't help with that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-not-opening-apps/6d34046b-8832-45a4-84ba-24774b350b37
  4. Cortana not opening apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cortana is not opening apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cortana is not opening apps: Cortana in my new laptop with windows 11 OS is not opening any apps. Cortana is providing internet search results though. can someone please help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-is-not-opening-apps/4073f16f-9cc0-438b-9ddd-744833ecef0e
  6. Cortana is not opening apps

Cortana is not opening apps: Cortana in my new laptop with windows 11 OS is not opening any apps. Cortana is providing internet search results though. can someone please help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-is-not-opening-apps/4073f16f-9cc0-438b-9ddd-744833ecef0e
  7. cortana not opening apps

in Cortana
    cortana not opening apps: I am not able to open apps using cortana. It is showing - "sorry, I am not equipped to do that" . May be some settings error, but till now I am not able to find any source to rectify this problem. No clarity is there ,,,how to solve this problem....
  8. Cortana is not opening Apps

Cortana is not opening Apps: Please Resolve This PRoblem [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-is-not-opening-apps/4efbaf7d-c7aa-4ce0-aec2-fce7a4a69f55
  9. cortana opening apps

in Cortana
    cortana opening apps: When I ask cortana to open up Netflix or spotify, or any app, it says: okay, opening 'that app' but next she doesn't open that app but opens settings for me: Language & time. All my language options are for united states, but only my time is from the time zone of paris. I...
  10. Cortana opening apps

Cortana opening apps: Just installed my microphone and tried hey coratana and i am less than impressed, I thought cortana could open all modern apps, but for most all i get when isay hey cortana open news or sports and most others is a web search. Is this correct? also how do i get coratana to...