Windows 10: Cortana Won't Help Me on Lock Screen?

Discus and support Cortana Won't Help Me on Lock Screen? in Cortana to solve the problem; I have Cortana enabled for my lock screen, with the following setting below: [ATTACH] On old Windows versions (like 1809), I could ask her to do... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Camden Mac Leod, May 17, 2019.

1. Cortana Won't Help Me on Lock Screen?

I have Cortana enabled for my lock screen, with the following setting below:

Cortana Won't Help Me on Lock Screen? 9c6be263-179e-4af7-ab83-dcab701b9e10?upload=true.png

On old Windows versions (like 1809), I could ask her to do most all things when the computer was locked. However, now in 1903 I can't do anything. Any command I ask, she will tell me to unlock my device first. This does not make sense for things like asking what the weather is or doing a math calculation. Take a look at this here:

Cortana Won't Help Me on Lock Screen? d0065a9f-44ee-4dc8-9364-9cf73fa6f105?upload=true.png

And she always says this:

Cortana Won't Help Me on Lock Screen? b30fda28-459b-42ed-a406-d25377bd668f?upload=true.png

This happens on all of my computers updated to 1903. Is there any way to fix this?

:)

Camden Mac Leod, May 17, 2019

2. cortana won`t talk to me

Hi Steven,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

It's unfortunate that you are facing this issue. Let me assist you to resolve the issue.

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• Check and verify if Cortana is activated?
    • Does Cortana search and gives any output/result on screen?
    • Is the Language and region settings set to valid value?
    • Check and verify if Cortana available in your region?
    Method 1:

I suggest you to try to turn Cortana off and then try turning it on back and check if she talks. Refer to the steps below to turn Off and On Cortana:

• Open Cortana.
    • Click the hamburger button in the top left of the window.
    • Go to Settings and click on off.
    • Follow the same steps to turn it on.
    • Check if issue persists.
    I would suggest you to refer to the article given below and check if that helps.

Cortana & search

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/cortana-search

Hope this information helps, let us know the status of the issue

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, May 17, 2019
  3. Cortana on Lock screen not working

Hi Nishadha,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps listed below and check if it resolves the issue.

Step 1: Install all Windows Updates

Most of the issues are fixed by installing Windows Updates make sure that your system is up-to-date.

Type Windows Updates in search bar and select Check for updates from the results.

If updates are available, try installing them and check.

Step 2: Make sure that Cortana is enabled

Click on the Taskbar search box, click Settings icon, and then make sure that the option labelled Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts and more is turned ON.

Step 3: Turn on Location

1. Click on Start and select Settings, navigate to Privacy > Location.

2. On the right-side, under Location, you will see On if the location is enabled for this device.

3. And, if the location for this device is not enabled, please click the Change button, and then move the slider

to on position.

To interact with Cortana on the Lock Screen, you simply need to say Hey Cortana and she’ll get ready. You can ask Cortana for various things while on the Lock Screen, like the forecast, latest news, and more.

Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Nachappa C K, May 17, 2019
  4. L SPERINE Win User

Cortana Won't Help Me on Lock Screen?

CORTANA is not available in the lock screen

In the new Anniversary update for Windows 10, you are supposed to be able to use Cortana from the lock screen. After installing this anniversary update, under "Get Started," "What's new," "Cortana--Your
    digital agent" you see the following: "Cortana is ready to help you in more places in Windows 10, including the lock screen. When your device is locked, you can still check your calendar ("What's my
    schedule for tomorrow like?") or ask Cortana important questions
    ("Can you beatbox?")." Further down the list of updates is "Do more on the lock screen," where you will see stated the following: "Cortana isn't the only new feature on the lock screen—you can now play music while your device is locked
    to
    control the action from start to stop. Media controls appear at the bottom right corner of the lock screen, along with a picture of the album art from the song currently playing."

Like Nithi(01), I am unable to access Cortana from the lock screen. I can not access the music option either. Further yet, after the update, I am having difficulty getting to the login screen from the lock screen. When I click on the lock screen to go to
    the login screen, the screens dims slightly and then just sits there. Sometimes after alengthy
    period, I am finally able to access the login window. (I use the picture login option where you have to touch the screen in the designated spots to login.) Other times, the screen just reverts back to the lock screen. After several attempts,
    I am sometimes able to get to the login screen. If that does not work, I have to restart my computer and try all of these steps again. It's VERY frustrating! Please help! or send out an update fixing these problems as I am finding the many people are having
    the same issues. Oh, by the way, I am using an HP Pavilion laptop.

L SPERINE, May 17, 2019
Thema:

Cortana Won't Help Me on Lock Screen?

1. Cortana Won't Help Me on Lock Screen? - Similar Threads - Cortana Won't Help

2. Cortana Will Not Respond to "Hey Cortana" or "Cortana" in Lock Screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana Will Not Respond to "Hey Cortana" or "Cortana" in Lock Screen: Hi,For some reason, I cannot enable Cortana to respond to "Cortana" or "Hey Cortana" when I have my Windows 10 computers locked. I have tried this on three separate windows 10 computers running 21H2 one Windows 10 Home with 16GB/i7 and the other two Windows 10 Pro...one...
  3. Cortana Will Not Respond to "Hey Cortana" or "Cortana" in Lock Screen

in Cortana
    Cortana Will Not Respond to "Hey Cortana" or "Cortana" in Lock Screen: Hi,For some reason, I cannot enable Cortana to respond to "Cortana" or "Hey Cortana" when I have my Windows 10 computers locked. I have tried this on three separate windows 10 computers running 21H2 one Windows 10 Home with 16GB/i7 and the other two Windows 10 Pro...one...
  4. Cortana Will Not Respond to "Hey Cortana" or "Cortana" in Lock Screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Cortana an Lock Screen...

in Cortana
    Cortana an Lock Screen...: Hi There, Cortana an Lock Screen is not working on Lock screen I enabled all setting. Fix me Out. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-an-lock-screen/35e5da46-6dd2-4deb-b5a8-6c9bc5e3d826
  6. Cortana - Why won't it leave me alone.

in Cortana
    Cortana - Why won't it leave me alone.: Cortana window suddenly appears. I close with the X and it immediately pops back un. Extreme nuisance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-why-wont-it-leave-me-alone/4f3d96a2-bf09-4ec8-bf10-78fcac31a792
  7. Please help me with cortana

in Cortana
    Please help me with cortana: My problem is that I cannot access Cortana settings. I am able to open the Cortana window and use the app but that is it. after lots of googling, people said to open the search bar and click on the notebook. when I open the search bar it looks like an ordinary search bar and...
  8. Cortana lock screen problem

in Cortana
    Cortana lock screen problem: Hi suddenly from today when I turned on my pc , Cortana lock screen has disappeared . Instead of Cortana icon , exactly in the same place , now is displayed this messagewith the "networkglobal" icon in the left : Download the new browser recommend by Microsoft...
  9. Why Won't Cortana Lock My PC Anymore?

in Cortana
    Why Won't Cortana Lock My PC Anymore?: Ever since she was introduced in Windows 10 saying "Hey, Cortana, lock my PC" caused Cortana to do that. Suddenly she won't. Instead she gives instructions on how to do that manually. Winkey+L (I already know that. I want her to do it so I don't have to press keys)....
  10. Help me fixing Windows Spotlight (Lock Screen)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Help me fixing Windows Spotlight (Lock Screen): Hello. My Windows Spotlight has stopped working on one of my work pcs and I haven't been unable to repair it. Ran this batch file (as admin) and it worked for another pc, but it doesn't work on this pc. :: Created by: Shawn Brink :: Created on: April 16th 2017...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cortona wont show results when my laptop is locked