Windows 10: Cortana wont open programs anymore

Discus and support Cortana wont open programs anymore in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Windows 10 home version 1909. All of a sudden Cortana won't open programs it used to. When I ask her to open something I get a "Something went wrong,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by gage3780, Feb 8, 2020.

1. gage3780 Win User

Cortana wont open programs anymore

Windows 10 home version 1909. All of a sudden Cortana won't open programs it used to. When I ask her to open something I get a "Something went wrong, Please try again later". It used to work fine. She'll do some things but opening programs she used to just doesnt work anymore.

:)

gage3780, Feb 8, 2020

2. Cortana won't open programs

Hi,

To assist you better, kindly provide us more details by answering the following questions:

• Are you trying to use Voice command to open programs in Cortana?
    • Are you getting any error messages when trying to use Cortana? If so, kindly provide us the exact error message.
    • Have you tried searching the program by typing it manually from Cortana?
    • What specific troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    We look forward to your response.

Monica Cam, Feb 8, 2020
  3. Louie Del Win User
    Cortana won't open programs

Hi,

There's a possibility that a software conflict occurs when trying to open a program using Cortana. Since you've already tried the solutions above, we recommend that you reinstall Cortana as an additional troubleshooting. To do this follow the steps below:

• Open an elevated Command Prompt window by typing cmd in the search bar, then right-click and choose
      Run as administrator.
    • Type start powershell, then press Enter.
    • Run this command, then press Enter: Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.Windows.Cortana | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    • Restart your computer.

Let us know if your concern has been resolved.

Louie Del, Feb 8, 2020
  4. Cortana wont open programs anymore

Cortana

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

This issue can occur if some of the system files are not working as expected.

Suggest you to follow the steps from this article to
    troubleshoot Cortana on the PC

Note: Do not go with the ‘Reset PC’ option for now.

Method 1: Follow these steps to disable Cortana:

1. Sign-in to the PC with your Microsoft account.
    2. In the search box at the bottom, type Disable Cortana.
    3. Once the suggestions appear in the list, click Cortana & Search settings.
    4. From the right section of the Settings pane, move the top button to ‘Off’ to disable Cortana from Windows 10.

Method 2: Follow these steps to check if that helps.

1. Launch Cortana from the search bar on the taskbar.
    2. Then, from the left pane click the settings button.
    3. Under "Cortana" (the first option) and slide the pill switch to the ‘Off’ position.

Method 3: Launch the Settings app and click on Privacy. Navigate to Speech, inking, & typing, and click Stop getting to know me. These steps will disable Cortana.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Feb 8, 2020
Thema:

Cortana wont open programs anymore

1. Cortana wont open programs anymore - Similar Threads - Cortana wont open

2. Programs wont open in half screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Programs wont open in half screen: I'm using Windows 11, and I love the snap feature that sets a program to half screen. I'm tired of having to set it to half screen every time I open it though, how do I set programs to open up in half screen?...
  3. Shortcut keys don't open programs anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcut keys don't open programs anymore: I have shortcuts for a number of programs on my desktop. In the properties I have defined shortcut keys, i.e. Ctrl + Alt +N. Clicking on the shortcut opens the program. But using this key stroke on my keyboard, doesn't open the program. I have a Logitech G15 keyboard with...
  4. Microsoft store wont open anymore.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft store wont open anymore.: Alright so, one day I decided to go to the Microsoft store to switch the Microsoft account that was on there. When I did it, I noticed Microsoft store Roblox was downloading so I decided to go on it. After about 20 minutes it ended up freezing and I looked up videos to get it...
  5. Cortana is not working anymore

in Cortana
    Cortana is not working anymore: The message "The Oficce 365 associates with your mailbox is hosted in an unsupported location, try signing in with your personal account" appears when I login into Cortana. But when I log in with another account, it works! Any advice?? [Movido para Inglês]...
  6. Cortana wont turn off my computer anymore

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cortana wont turn off my computer anymore: Probably the only voice command i use with Cortana. Now she wont turn off my computer anymore "Im sorry I cant turn off this device." This worked for years. But recently cortona stopped working entirely until i signed into my microsoft account (why is this required now?) and...
  7. Cortana won't open programs

in Cortana
    Cortana won't open programs: I upgraded my Windows 10 to version 2004. After that I open some apps from cortana. And after that I also updated cortana applications. After that I can't open apps from cortana...
  8. Cortana No onger Opens Programs

in Cortana
    Cortana No onger Opens Programs: All of a sudden, with no changes that I have made, Cortana will not open programs, it functions normally otherwise, what can I do to fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-no-onger-opens-programs/540ea9fd-6830-4f9c-8b12-ef09cf18e7ab"
  9. Programs wont open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Programs wont open: On windows ten some programs will just open up and give me a error or open up then when ever I login or something it just wont open. I tried to fix my .exe in regedit with every tutorial but nothing fixed it that only fixed it so I can open them but they just give me a error...
  10. Google Chrome Wont Automatically Open Anymore

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Google Chrome Wont Automatically Open Anymore: When I used to restart/open up my computer, Google Chrome used to open automatically all the time with the url thing usually being the first thing to open at the top of the screen. All my bookmarks and actual history was on there and I was very satisfied with it as it made...