Windows 10: Cortana

Discus and support Cortana in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Anyway to turn off Cortana without screwing something else up? I never use it, but I'm noticing a huge memory usage from Cortana. 47528 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by milford, Apr 16, 2016.

1. milford Win User

Cortana

Anyway to turn off Cortana without screwing something else up? I never use it, but I'm noticing a huge memory usage from Cortana.

:)

milford, Apr 16, 2016

2. "Stopcode -- WHEA uncorrectabel Error"

I no longer have this problem. However, when I do the update it renders my graphics card useless so now I boot from my floppy drive and don't update at all.

PMS CORTANA, Apr 16, 2016
  3. 1709 Bluescreens & video problems

I was just letting the process work itself out as reinstall/recovery didn't help and eventually it would let me sign in. A few days ago while I was typing away, my screen had a mind of its' own and just went extra wide screen and removed my dual screen
    ability. Now my videos don't play in FB and can't get out of this widescreen. I've again tried Recovery to no avail. There have been several updates since the blue screen error. I went out and looked at my devices and now it must has Basic Display Driver instead
    of the Dell driver that was there before. It no longer recognizes it. I have done recovery and it worked for a few minutes but again reverts back to this Basic Driver. How can it do this? I also no longer have a Sleep function on my shutdown menu, just Restart
    or Shut Down. I have done Reset already and had to reinstall several of my apps. This continues to get worse. Everything else is working fine. I have no other screen issues.

PMS CORTANA, Apr 16, 2016
  4. jds63 Win User

Cortana

jds63, Apr 16, 2016
  5. milford Win User
    I'm getting 52% - 65% memory usage from Task Manager.

I turned off Cortana, but its still using 36% - 40% memory out of total memory usage of 51%.

milford, Apr 16, 2016
  6. jds63 Win User
    Again Cortana is still going to use memory as it deals with search in windows. Memory percentage in Task Manager can be also due to other running processes. Post a screen capture of Task Manager from process and performance tabs. Look through process tab to identify any other process using a lot of memory and also check Startup tab try to eliminate startup items that are not needed to run on every boot or restart.

jds63, Apr 16, 2016
  7. milford Win User
    Thanks for your help. Never been good at screen captures. Only other thing with high memory usage is Google Chrome and System and Compressed Memory. Both about 40% each. Reason I started this is I'm running Win 10 on a Dell tablet with a huge 1 Gig of memory and something just started using up a lot of it.

milford, Apr 16, 2016
  8. jds63 Win User

Cortana

Your welcome ! Can use Paint in Windows 10 for screen capture, but with a tablet might be limited to keyboard functions unless you hooked one up to it. As for memory usage for one Chrome is a big memory user for a browser especially with only 1 GB to start.
    This Tablet is obviously not a 64bit Windows 10, just looking at your specs i see a laptop listed.

I have a Tablet so i know what you mean, but has 2GB of RAM, also the CPU processor matters to. I then think you need to limit the amount of software and processes that runs constantly and on boot of this tablet. Again check Startup Tab in Task Manager, try disabling some non-essential startups, but make sure you know what you are disabling.

As you see on my PC what Firefox is using and Cortana, but i do have much more RAM (Memory) on this just an example.

Cortana [​IMG]

What came on this Tablet, Windows 7 ?

jds63, Apr 16, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 16, 2016
  10. milford Win User
    Laptop listed was the better option. Doesn't seem to be any way to add second system specs. Just bumped it up to 16 G ram*Smile. Never had a problem with it. Tablet came with Windows 8.0. Bumped it to 8.1 then 10.

milford, Apr 16, 2016
  11. jds63 Win User
    Tablets are limited to what they come with and can not compare to a Laptop. I left my tablet with Windows 8.1 because it told me that the Intel Graphics was not supported. So far you have not told us if you tried any suggestions made here for this issue.

jds63, Apr 19, 2016
  12. milford Win User
    Sorry. I went with your first post. Checked for answer in these forums.

milford, Apr 19, 2016
  13. jds63 Win User

Cortana

Yes but you said you tried this and still was having issues with your tablet showing a high percentage of memory use. I stated to check other startup items and another member made a suggestion to try, so which was it ? It helps other who read this with the same issue if you do mark it solved and if and how it helped or was fixed here in your thread.

jds63, Apr 19, 2016
  14. milford Win User
    I turned of Cortina per your recommendation. Better than it was. Have not touched anything else. Putting up with what I got.

End of story. period.

milford, Apr 19, 2016
  15. jds63 Win User
    So be it !

jds63, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Cortana

1. Cortana - Similar Threads - Cortana

2. How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?: Since I updated my computer, my Windows key doesn't work and any application related to the start menu don't work either. I've already reset, restarted multiple times, tried wsreset and cmd commands, and checked for game mode, and tried the Fn commands. This happened the last...
  3. How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?: Since I updated my computer, my Windows key doesn't work and any application related to the start menu don't work either. I've already reset, restarted multiple times, tried wsreset and cmd commands, and checked for game mode, and tried the Fn commands. This happened the last...
  4. How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. End of support for Cortana

in Windows 10 Gaming
    End of support for Cortana: While the decision to phase out Cortana may have disappointed some users, it's important to recognize that Microsoft is continually evolving its products to meet the changing needs of its customers. Here are some reasons why bringing back Cortana might still be...
  6. End of support for Cortana

End of support for Cortana: While the decision to phase out Cortana may have disappointed some users, it's important to recognize that Microsoft is continually evolving its products to meet the changing needs of its customers. Here are some reasons why bringing back Cortana might still be...
  7. Cortana Not Responding to Voice Commands

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cortana Not Responding to Voice Commands: Hello, I'm having trouble with Cortana on my Windows 10 computer. When I try to use voice commands, Cortana doesn't respond at all. I've checked my microphone settings and made sure that Cortana is enabled, but it still doesn't work. Is there a fix for this issue, or any...
  8. Cortana Not Responding to Voice Commands

Cortana Not Responding to Voice Commands: Hello, I'm having trouble with Cortana on my Windows 10 computer. When I try to use voice commands, Cortana doesn't respond at all. I've checked my microphone settings and made sure that Cortana is enabled, but it still doesn't work. Is there a fix for this issue, or any...
  9. How do i make the cortana search bar, and the windows search bar at the bottom left of the...

How do i make the cortana search bar, and the windows search bar at the bottom left of the...: hello, I am trying to have Google Chrome as my default browser for everything, I currently see that Edge Deflector and Nomoreedge no longer works, is there a settings way to ensure that my search bar will go to Google Chrome instead of Microsoft Edge? how can I ensure that I...
  10. How do i make the cortana search bar, and the windows search bar at the bottom left of the...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do i make the cortana search bar, and the windows search bar at the bottom left of the...: hello, I am trying to have Google Chrome as my default browser for everything, I currently see that Edge Deflector and Nomoreedge no longer works, is there a settings way to ensure that my search bar will go to Google Chrome instead of Microsoft Edge? how can I ensure that I...