Windows 10: Cortana's search field not working and File Explorer search field not working

Discus and support Cortana's search field not working and File Explorer search field not working in Cortana to solve the problem; I have tried all these suggested fixes and none of them fix either of the two problems.... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Al_XB, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Al_XB Win User

Cortana's search field not working and File Explorer search field not working

I have tried all these suggested fixes and none of them fix either of the two problems.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/file-explorer-search-not-working.html

I am wondering if anyone else had this dual problem? I see there is a Powershell script I can run called:

"Reset Windows Search Box". Before trying this, I want to know if these issues are a result of the latest July 2020 feature update Version 2004 of Win 10?

If so, how do I roll back to the Version 1909 of Win 10 so I can stop wasting my time fixing bugs like this. I am past the 10 day limit for removal of the update

:)

Al_XB, Jul 19, 2020

2. How To Enable Typing Into Search Field (Cortana field?)

So neither the Search field nor the Cortana Search field work?

NeuesTestament, Jul 19, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    Cortana search not work / Windows search not work / Not indexing

Hi, I suggest you
    a. wait for indexing to be complete
    b. open file explorer at a point in the file hierarchy above a folder you wish to search which has been indexed
    c. type the file name in file explorer's search field
    d. post
    i. Indexing options showing the folder is specified to be indexed
    ii file explorer showing the search text and result
    like this:

Cortana's search field not working and File Explorer search field not working [​IMG]

There you can see H: is indexed; explorer is open at H: ; I'm searching for a file doc-47 ; That's been found in a folder on drive H:

dalchina, Jul 19, 2020
  4. Cortana's search field not working and File Explorer search field not working

Explorer Search field does not work

Hello,

The Explorer search field (just to the right of the magnifying glass) is unable to receive the focus.

I have tried each following approach:

>Press Windows key + F

>Click the mouse in such field

The search field getting the focus has been flaky for me for the past 1-2 years, but now the problem is disabling. I cannot search at all in Explorer.

I also tried restarting the Windows search service (WSearch), but this did not help.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Keith

R. Keith Howard, Jul 19, 2020
Thema:

Cortana's search field not working and File Explorer search field not working

1. Cortana's search field not working and File Explorer search field not working - Similar Threads - Cortana's search field

2. File Explorer won't accept input in search field

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer won't accept input in search field: Dear Community, Over the last couple of weeks since last update I've been experiencing a number of issues which it has not been possible to fix. One of these is that I'm unable to enter any keywords into the file search field of the file explorer. When I try, it simply...
  3. Webpage search field

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Webpage search field: When I type in a search field from any website (google, reddit, yahoo) on either Chrome or Explorer, the suggestions are not highlighted as I scroll through them with the down arrow. Anyone knows a fix for this? submitted by /u/K3N5T3R [link] [comments]...
  4. Search field in taskbar and file explorer does not work

in Cortana
    Search field in taskbar and file explorer does not work: Hi I bought my computer last week and installed Windows 10 last friday. yesterday i suddenly had problems with using the file ewplorer search function, and I don't know how to make it work again...
  5. Explorer Search Field/Folder Search Field is not working/unavailable

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer Search Field/Folder Search Field is not working/unavailable: Hello, I am experiencing a weird issue, my Explorer search field/Folder search field seems not working: 1. When I click on it nothing happens, no blinking cursor appears as it should, to input searching query, nothing. 2. When I use combination Ctrl+F, I can input only 1...
  6. Explorer Search field does not work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Explorer Search field does not work: Hello, The Explorer search field just to the right of the magnifying glass is unable to receive the focus. I have tried each following approach: >Press Windows key + F >Click the mouse in such field The search field getting the focus has been flaky for me for the past...
  7. Right-click not working at search field in folders

Right-click not working at search field in folders: Good afternoon, Since the last update of Windows 10, whenever I try to right-click at the search field inside folders nothing happens. It's like the ability to do it disappeared. A turnaround to this is to Ctrl+C the text I want to search for and then Ctrl+V inside the...
  8. Search field missing from explorer

Search field missing from explorer: The search field in explorer, the one in the upper right corner is suddenly missing. It might've happened after an update but I'm not sure exactly when it happened. I updated to build 18922 today, and the search field is still missing. Any solution to this? [ATTACH]...
  9. How To Enable Typing Into Search Field (Cortana field?)

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Enable Typing Into Search Field (Cortana field?): I now find, to my great surprise, that I can't type in the Search field at bottom left. The cursor will go there but nothing will happen to it when I start typing. This is amazing. This computer. Endless problems. I have two computer each with win10 and each installed at...
  10. search field and cortana wont function

in Windows 10 Support
    search field and cortana wont function: Hi all I installed a new version of Windows 10 pro. The search function and cortana was working fine. My IT person joined the company domain and everything still worked correctly. We did updates and lost the use of the search bar and cortana. The start button works fine...