Windows 10: Cortana's Strange Behaviour After Creator's Edition Update

Discus and support Cortana's Strange Behaviour After Creator's Edition Update in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi all, Since the Creator's Update, Cortana has been behaving strangely on my machine. Specifically, when asking Cortana to launch programs, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Andy, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Andy Win User

Cortana's Strange Behaviour After Creator's Edition Update

Hi all,

Since the Creator's Update, Cortana has been behaving strangely on my machine. Specifically, when asking Cortana to launch programs, and even more specifically when there are several possible options. So, with Skype, just to take one example, the conversation USED to go like this:

Me: Open Skype
    Cortana: Sure. What do you want to open? One, Skype. Two, Skype for Business 2016. Three, Skype Settings.
    Me: One.
    Cortana: Sure. Opening Skype.

No problem. But NOW....the conversation goes like this:

Me: Open Skype.
    Cortana: Sure. What do you want to open? Skype, Skype for Business 2016 or Skype Settings?
    Me: Skype.
    Cortana: Sure. What do you want to open? Skype, Skype for Business 2016 or Skype Settings?
    Me. SKYPE!!

And so on.

So, in other words, Cortana is no longer numbering each option, and does not respond to your choice.

Has anybody else seen this? I have reported it to MS through the Feedback Tool but I've not seen it mentioned anywhere.

Thanks!

:)

Andy, Jun 7, 2017

2. Cortana strange behaviours

My pc's microphone works just fine in every app. Cortana reacts to "Hey Cortana" but just answers me, after 1 second or so, "Sorry, I can't hear anything".

Also, searching something on the web on Cortana and clicking on it, won't open Microsoft Edge. Also search results on the right pane won't click.

gabrielerizzo, Jun 7, 2017
  3. Jay Jap Win User
    Cortana strange behaviours

Hello Gabriel,

We need to do further investigation on your concern so that we can identify why Cortana is not working properly:

• Have you recently made any change/updates prior to this issue?
    • Did you try to login to a different user account to check if it is the same?

In the meantime, you can try these steps to isolate the issue:

As an initial recommendation, we suggest that you perform the troubleshooting steps listed in this

article

on how to troubleshoot Cortana issues

Let us know the outcome.

Regards.

Jay Jap, Jun 7, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Just wondering- have you tried saying 'One' anyway....?

'Just Skype' would be too confusing, alas!

(I'm still using the AU)

dalchina, Jun 7, 2017
  5. Andy Win User
    Thanks for your reply! Yes, I said "One"....and it opens OneNote!!! *Smile

Andy, Jun 7, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Interestingly, my Cortana also presents such a list, no numbers.

Try 'The first' 'The second' etc.

...which works well, until.... the list of available options extends beyond the box as here:

Cortana's Strange Behaviour After Creator's Edition Update [​IMG]

So this British English-sounding voice starts reading them 'Which Minitool do you wanna open...'

And reads the list...after which I see

Oh, come on Microsoft, this is as pathetic as your start menu, where I see

- these shortcuts, each for a different program, being taken from the folders of 2,3,or 4 per program in my nested start menu.

Which is one of a number of reasons I choose to use Classic Shell start menu which actually works. Reliably.

dalchina, Jun 7, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    You think that's bad? You should have seen the mess it made of Nero 7 (OEM preinstalled on the Win7 machine I upgraded to Win10). Help files in 17 different languages for each of the eight apps - 136 in total! *Sad

I just deleted all shortcuts bar the ones for English help. *Smile

Bree, Jun 7, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

You're more forgiving and tolerant- I've no time for a start menu that hasn't been designed to express the sort of menu people may inherit from Win 7 e.g. and designed with just new installations in mind.

I can't do the same as you- all those are from DIFFERENT programs. Only option would be to rename them all. Oh, then there's
    Readme
    Readme
    Readme
    as well in places.. and this occurs in more than one place in the Win 10 start menu.

dalchina, Jun 7, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    Or perhaps just luckier than you. Nero was the only app with a messy start menu, all my other legacy apps were better behaved. TBH, the Nero start menu was a bit of a dog's breakfast in Win7 too...

Bree, Jun 7, 2017
  10. Andy Win User
    ...anyway, getting back to my question...Dalchina....thanks mate. I'm glad I am not the only one with the problem, and I shall indeed try asking for the first, second etc. I'm surprised that MS have not corrected this problem.

Thanks!

11. dalchina New Member
    At a guess, it's an unannounced change perhaps? Presumably you're expected to respond intuitively... Now, if only that really worked both ways..

dalchina, Jun 8, 2017
  12. Andy Win User
    Hi dalchina,

I don't mind unannounced changes......as long as the change works! Thanks so much for your help...let's see what happens (as long as it's not an unannounced fix to an unannounced change!) *Smile

All the best

Thema:

1. Cortana's Strange Behaviour After Creator's Edition Update - Similar Threads - Cortana's Strange Behaviour

2. Windows optional update and strange behaviour

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows optional update and strange behaviour: OS: Windows 10, version 2004 Japanese Browser Firefox updated Drivers updated Windows updated. Since the auto Window update to version 2004 I was facing some problems but now I have noticed after Optional program update I see various suggestions appears on screen. No...
  3. Strange behaviour

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Strange behaviour: I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I have a very strange thing happening with my computer. My monitor will just all of a sudden go black, then a message saying "no signal". My computer does no power down or restart, but at the same time I can do nothing with...
  4. Strange modem behaviour after 1803

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Strange modem behaviour after 1803: OS Windows 10 HomeSpeedport Internet Modem. Before 1803. A) Modem through a USB 'dongle' on PC. Everything o/k, could select Auto or Manual internet start by right clicking on the internet icon (bottom right on task bar). Skype however was very bad with broken vid and sound....
  5. Store update strange behaviour

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Store update strange behaviour: So a little earlier I did my usual routine of boot pc and open store app. I always manually check for updates to apps. One come up for store app itself. I clicked update but rather than do its normal close the store app and re launch on completion store app stayed open. In...
  6. Strange update behaviour

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Strange update behaviour: I have two PC's, my wife's and my own, both upgraded on line from 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. The only difference is that my wife's PC is 32-bit and mine is 64-bit. Yesterday, my wife called me to say that something strange happened when she booted her PC and that it was now...
  7. Strange signin behaviour

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Strange signin behaviour: I changed my Windows signin to a 4 digit login, which works fine.... today i I noticed there were two signin options for my user account , exactly the same name, plus one other I have for a family member. i chose one of ' my' accounts and it asked for a password, I tried...
  8. Strange BSOD after the Creators Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Strange BSOD after the Creators Update: Hello friends! Well, let's get to the point immediately. The first thing that happened after the update was the appearance of a strange BSOD with the error PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and related to the file ntoskrnl.exe. This error always followed the same pattern: it...
  9. strange laptop behaviour after major update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    strange laptop behaviour after major update: I installed Win 10 pro for a friend and the install went fine. It checked for updates and did KB3194623, 3197099 and 3176937 (one said upgrade) When it rebooted, the WIn 10 logo showed for a bit then there was just a blank screen no matter how long I waited. The only way I...
  10. Updating To Creator Edition

in Windows 10 Support
    Updating To Creator Edition: I just built a new Ryzen system and installed a full version win10 x64. Last night I did a check for updates and it gave me the win10 Creators update. So I went ahead and started it at around 8 PM. I checked at 1 AM and it was installing at 40%. At 8 AM it was at 80%. At 12...