Windows 10: Could Hibernation Have Blocked Access?

Discus and support Could Hibernation Have Blocked Access? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Electric utility had a 115KV transmission line fail early today, with over 100K customers without power. My APC UPS put my computer into hibernation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Not Myself, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Could Hibernation Have Blocked Access?

Electric utility had a 115KV transmission line fail early today, with over 100K customers without power. My APC UPS put my computer into hibernation before shutting down. When I turned on the computer, it quickly returned me to the status ante quo, and everything seemed fine.

However, I later found that I could not access most of the folders on one of my two USB external hard drives, nor could I even create a new folder as a test. Trying to regain access gave me a series of error messages, a few of which I could not figure out, as they seemed to be telling me to do something for which I had no comprehension. I know that I had looked at at least one of the now-inaccessible folders during the day yesterday.

Wondering what might happen were I to reboot, I did so; to my relief, access was restored to the USB hard disk. Is it possible that the problem was caused by the hibernation and repaired by the restart?

:)

Not Myself, Feb 2, 2017

2. Windows 10 won't sleep or hibernate

Windows 10 won't sleep or hibernate. I have a Hewlett Packard s5-1114. I am also blocked out of my HP files. Error message "This app has been blocked for your protection" An administrator has blocked you from running this app. for more information, contact
    the administrator.

Program name hpDST.exe

Publisher not trusted

RonaldCiffa, Feb 2, 2017
  3. qiupers Win User
    windows 10 keeps on going to sleep even if im not idle

it has been getting really annoying.

right now im getting by with dontsleep software, but the computer still tried to go to sleep frequently, only to be blocked by the software. it is working however it will turn off the screen for 1-3seconds before coming back alive.

is there any way that i could disable sleep mode entirely just like hibernate mode?

qiupers, Feb 2, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

Could Hibernation Have Blocked Access?

It's entirely possible. Are your USB devices powered from the USB port and does the UPS deliver enough power to keep all the devices functioning? Just speculating!

philc43, Feb 2, 2017
  5. Personally, I don't think that anything is entirely possible, not even the existence of the universe....

Thanks for replying. I agree that it may well be possible: Given the facts as I know them, the only conclusion I could come to is that the sequence I outlined was most likely the cause and the cure, strange thought that be.

As for my UPS, yes, it has more than adequate power: According to its software, it can provide 780 watts, of which it is now providing 62 watts, and that is with my usual programs opened.

Not Myself, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Could Hibernation Have Blocked Access?

1. Could Hibernation Have Blocked Access? - Similar Threads - Hibernation Blocked Access

2. Controlled Folder Access just blocked access to a RTF file. How could that even happen?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Controlled Folder Access just blocked access to a RTF file. How could that even happen?: Of all the files it should be cautious with I would expect a lowly text file to be the least likely it would stumble on. Yet Microsoft surprises us again. Or doesn't really. So have you had this happen? There is nothing in this file but simple text. I couldn't change the...
  3. Controlled Folder Access just blocked access to a RTF file. How could that even happen?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Controlled Folder Access just blocked access to a RTF file. How could that even happen?: Of all the files it should be cautious with I would expect a lowly text file to be the least likely it would stumble on. Yet Microsoft surprises us again. Or doesn't really. So have you had this happen? There is nothing in this file but simple text. I couldn't change the...
  4. Controlled Folder Access just blocked access to a RTF file. How could that even happen?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Internet access is blocked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet access is blocked: I have been using only windows defender and never install any 3rd party antivirus to my pc.I tried troubleshooting the issue and got an issue from BD Provider which I have no clue about....
  6. If I block an app from accessing the Internet, could the app still circumvent the block?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    If I block an app from accessing the Internet, could the app still circumvent the block?: https://i.imgur.com/tflADmk.png I use the Windows Defender Firewall (shown above) to block a password manager from accessing the Internet via Inbound/Outbound Rules. Not because it's some shady manager, but because of extra security precaution. If I block an app's...
  7. BLOCKED ACCESS

BLOCKED ACCESS: Hello, Please, I have a question and of course I am waiting a right answer if is possible to fix this impediment. I try ON LINE to fill out an Application and when I press " Apply Now" then appears these words.........This page can not be reached............. My...
  8. INTERNET ACCESS IS BLOCKED

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    INTERNET ACCESS IS BLOCKED: [IMG]I updated my windows 10 version (1909) and since then all my browsers can't access the internet. I tried the troubleshooting approach but still I couldn't resolve it. You can see from the picture attached that I am connected to the WiFi network but "Your Internet access...
  9. Internet access blocked

Internet access blocked: Attempting to access Router, the message 'Internet Access is Blocked' shows. I have disabled Windows Firewall but still blocked. Anyone know why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-access-blocked/72c78239-33c1-42d7-8f66-cbf5e925e8cc"
  10. Hibernation settings unavailable and blocked by Guarded Host

in Windows 10 Support
    Hibernation settings unavailable and blocked by Guarded Host: Hey everyone, I've recently noticed that my laptop is going to sleep when I press the power button. I've had it configured to hibernation previously. However, when I opened the power settings, neither the Fast Boot nor the hibernation was present. Not greyed out, but...