Windows 10: "Could not access network location %PUBLIC%\Desktop\

Discus and support "Could not access network location %PUBLIC%\Desktop\ in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Whenever i try to download something i get an error saying "Could not access network location %PUBLIC%\Desktop. How do i fix? submitted by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Max123543, Jul 23, 2020.

1. "Could not access network location %PUBLIC%\Desktop\

Whenever i try to download something i get an error saying "Could not access network location %PUBLIC%\Desktop. How do i fix?

submitted by /u/Max123543
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Max123543, Jul 23, 2020

2. why is Network and Sharing center saying my personal home network location is "public network"?

Hi Christs,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

Do let us know what is the exact issue you are facing with accessing the home network on your device?

If you are wishing to change the home network location from public to private, try the below steps and check if it helps.

Follow:

• Press Windows key + r and type secpol.msc.
    • Now click on Network list manager policy.
    • Double click on Network in the right pane.
    • Go to Network location tab, here you can manually change the network location
      from Private to Public and vice versa.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 3, 2020
  3. Network showing as public

Hi Connor,

By default, the public network location type is assigned to any new networks when they are first connected. A public network is considered to be shared with the world, with no protection between the local computer and any other computer. Therefore,
    the Windows Firewall rules associated with the public profile are the most restrictive.

To change settings from public to private, follow the steps below:

• Open the Locale Security Policy.
    • In the left pane, click/tap on Network List Manager Policies.
    • In the right pane of Network List Manager Policies, double click/tap on your network name
    • Click/tap on the Network Location tab.
    • Under Location type, select Private.
    • Under User permissions, select (dot) User cannot change location.
    • Click/tap on OK, and close Local Security Policy.

Note: You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to change the network location of a network adapter.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Martin Bar, Aug 3, 2020
  4. redturtle Win User

"Could not access network location %PUBLIC%\Desktop\

Set Network Location to Private or Public in Windows 10  

Hi Brink and thank you for the welcome "Could not access network location %PUBLIC%\Desktop\ :)

I tried what you suggested but when doing this, i noticed that whenever i am connected to my VPN, the Windows network shows up as "unidentified network" instead of network 1,2,3 or whatever. So when i went into regedit and looked for networks, i found some but none called unidentified.
    There was one network with the value 0 so i changed it to 1 (private) but after checking, my VPN connection still shows as public.

I am not really sure why it says unidentified network in Windows when i am connected to the VPN but it seems that this is the cause for the problem. If i could only find the VPN network in the list of networks in regedit, i think i would be able to change the value to 1.

Hmm..not sure how to proceed with this. Any ideas?

"Could not access network location %PUBLIC%\Desktop\ [​IMG]

redturtle, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

"Could not access network location %PUBLIC%\Desktop\

1. "Could not access network location %PUBLIC%\Desktop\ - Similar Threads - access network location

2. Could not access network location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Could not access network location: Hi, I get this pop up when trying to install a program, running Windows 11. I was trying to install to Program Files x86. Anyone familiar with this error or how to correct it? Thanks...
  3. Could not access network location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Could not access network location: Hi, I get this pop up when trying to install a program, running Windows 11. I was trying to install to Program Files x86. Anyone familiar with this error or how to correct it? Thanks...
  4. Error 1606 could not access network location _/.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error 1606 could not access network location _/.: Please help ^^^^^^^ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-1606-could-not-access-network-location/00a15d12-6549-4d8d-ba26-9da751cfc3de
  5. Could not access network location \

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Could not access network location \: stupid msi error appears everytime i install python, please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/could-not-access-network-location/1a7ccad8-a613-41c0-83cb-ff7e0b5bedb7
  6. Could not access network location G

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Could not access network location G: For some reason, my computer won't let me install software such as Elgato Game Capture Setup. Whenever I try to, It shows me the following picture What do I do? [ATTACH]...
  7. could not access network location

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    could not access network location: I keep getting this prompt when I try to uninstall an application. the reason I'm uninstalling is because when I try to run the application it wont work. any help would be much appreciated. the application is the epic games launcher...
  8. Could not access network location \. Error 1606

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Could not access network location \. Error 1606: Hello. So in the last months, I saw a really strange feature on my Windows 10 Pro. It does not uninstall/install programs. Last time I've got a thing that changed my whole system font. I got it back, but then this error appeared. For example, I want to download Photoshop. It...
  9. Could not Access Network Location error

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Could not Access Network Location error: Hello I need your help to install blender. At the end of the installation I got an error message with "Could not Access Network Location" written on it. I have look for it on internet and found this is a windows related error so I hope you can help me. submitted by...
  10. could not access network location _\. error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    could not access network location _\. error: I have this problem when I try to install something via a installer sometimes thru the download it pops up an error message could not access network location _\....