Windows 10: Could not clean up file history data. Element not found.

Discus and support Could not clean up file history data. Element not found. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I'm trying to clear my file history, but I keep getting this frustrating error. I don't know what is causing it; and it doesn't seem to have any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by William Jones7, May 23, 2023.

1. Could not clean up file history data. Element not found.

Hi, I'm trying to clear my file history, but I keep getting this frustrating error. I don't know what is causing it; and it doesn't seem to have any error code or error log file, making it very difficult to pinpoint the exact cause. I have tried everything to fix it. I have watched countless videos and read countless articles, and they all tell me to do the same exact things, but none of them actually work.I am running Windows 10 version 22H2 x64More details about my computerCould not clean up file history data. Element not found. :processor IntelR CoreTM i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.60 GHzInstalled RAM 16.0 GB 15.9 GB usableDevice ID 9EFADEF

:)

William Jones7, May 23, 2023

2. File History, "element not found"

Going back at least two years: Redirecting

I did some experimenting and it appears that:

1. When the backup drive reaches full capacity ...
    2. It cannot clean itself up, and ...
    3. Creates a non-surface error (soft error) on the drive that prevents all forms of older version cleaning-up
      1. CHKDSK shows no drive errors, so it is soft.
    The problems here are manifest:

1. Backup does not warn the user of repeated backup failures, leaving them vulnerable.
    2. The only cure is to reformat the backup drive, which in turn eliminates old versions that might be important in a recovery.
    3. Microsoft looks to not give a damn about their users data security needs, because two years is a long time for a critical bug to be left unattended.
    MSFT, you NEED to attend to this.

guyshomenet, May 23, 2023
  3. Morku Win User
    FIle History: Element not found when clean up old files since 2004/20H2

Hi,

this request is similiar to Redirecting

Other then he say, an In-place Upgrade did not solve the issue (did from 2004 to 20H2).

I am using file history since it was introduced in Windows 8 and it was always working as expected until 2004 arrived.

This is my configuration:

• I am using a networkdrive connected with SMB, so the path to backup is \\diskstation\Sicherung ASRock
    • The NAS is is a Synology Diskstation DS218+
    • my settings are to backup every 1 hour (does work) and clean up files obsolote files automatically after 1 month (does not work anymore)
    • I am only backup folders from my D: drive (not the userfiles in the Default settings)
    So since file history does not delete files older than 1 month, when I want clean it manually, I get the "Element not found" error.

Troubleshooting steps:

• I stoped and enabled file history -> same issue
    • I deleted the file history files and start again -> same issue
    • I also delete all file history backup files and also reseted the file history with the help of that: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/54999-reset-file-history-default-windows-10-a.html -> same issue
    • Today I did the In-Place upgrade. I used the official 20H2 MVS ISO file, started again a new file history from beginning and tried the option again -> but it's the same issue
    So when we can expect a fix here?

No, I can't use the Feedback Hub, because it force me to enable Telemtry.

Morku, May 23, 2023
  4. MikeEEE Win User

Could not clean up file history data. Element not found.

Encountering "Element not found" on File History Cleanup

Hello all,

Setting up File History here, and I am encountering an error that I wanted to post here and see if there's anyone that can assist.

I am running Windows 10 2004 and setting up a clean install of File History -- meaning no folders except for one with a file in it -- I get an error when attempting to run "Clean up versions" more than once:

"Could not clean up File History data -- Element not found."

(Note that the first time I click "Clean up versions" it results in a "We didn't find any versions of your files that were that old")

FWIW I encountered this issue with a full install/synchronization of my files, but even when I reduce the configuration to a simple folder with a file in it this error still occurs.

Is this a known issue? If I put more data/files in the folder and/or edit data that is in there, I still get this error. It makes me wonder if the catalog is already corrupt. Again this is from a clean install, already having wiped the FileHistory folder in AppData.

Any suggestions/insight here would be appreciated!

- - - Updated - - -

Alright, I have reproduced this on another 2004 machine on which File History was never activated. On this image I have screen capture installed, for your convenience:

Could not clean up file history data. Element not found. 284642d1592839562t-encountering-element-not-found-file-history-cleanup-a25s14k-1-.png

In this case, I didn't get a "We didn't find any versions..." message, and it went straight to the error:

Could not clean up file history data. Element not found. 284643d1592839593t-encountering-element-not-found-file-history-cleanup-1anwbbo-1-.png

Is this a known/unknown bug in 2004, perhaps?

- - - Updated - - -

Wow I am surprised that no one has replied to this. Can someone with 2004 installed confirm that this does not happen to them? Thank you for any assistance you can provide to appeasing my sanity. *chuckle

MikeEEE, May 23, 2023
Thema:

Could not clean up file history data. Element not found.

1. Could not clean up file history data. Element not found. - Similar Threads - clean file history

2. what can i do to clean up file history data when the element is not found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what can i do to clean up file history data when the element is not found: I have only tried the file history clean up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-can-i-do-to-clean-up-file-history-data-when/50d2f796-09aa-4ae3-9e7b-128109252eb9
  3. what can i do to clean up file history data when the element is not found

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what can i do to clean up file history data when the element is not found: I have only tried the file history clean up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-can-i-do-to-clean-up-file-history-data-when/50d2f796-09aa-4ae3-9e7b-128109252eb9
  4. Could not clean up file history data. Element not found.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Could not clean up file history data. Element not found.: Hi, I'm trying to clear my file history, but I keep getting this frustrating error. I don't know what is causing it; and it doesn't seem to have any error code or error log file, making it very difficult to pinpoint the exact cause. I have tried everything to fix it. I have...
  5. Could not clean up file history data. Element not found.

Could not clean up file history data. Element not found.: Hi, I'm trying to clear my file history, but I keep getting this frustrating error. I don't know what is causing it; and it doesn't seem to have any error code or error log file, making it very difficult to pinpoint the exact cause. I have tried everything to fix it. I have...
  6. Could not clean up file history data The handle is invalid

Could not clean up file history data The handle is invalid: Please would you be able to help me fix this error: Could not clean up file history data The handle is invalid https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/could-not-clean-up-file-history-data-the-handle-is/aea76400-8ebf-43a5-ac9e-b56f836f4a6d
  7. File History, "element not found"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History, "element not found": Going back at least two years: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-element-not-found-when-clean-up-old/761eea3d-0ee1-4a4e-a9fd-9bd14546a175?page=1I did some experimenting and it appears that:When the backup drive reaches full capacity ...It...
  8. File History, "element not found"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History, "element not found": Going back at least two years: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-element-not-found-when-clean-up-old/761eea3d-0ee1-4a4e-a9fd-9bd14546a175?page=1I did some experimenting and it appears that:When the backup drive reaches full capacity ...It...
  9. File History, "element not found"

10. Windows 10: Could not clean up File History data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10: Could not clean up File History data: When I access File History from Control Panel, click Advanced settings, click Clean up versions, choose an option under Delete Files and click Clean up, all I get is: [ATTACH] Does anybody else experience this problem? I'm on Windows 10 Insider Preview 20H1, build 19041....